Sign in to follow this  
pete

Anyone buying defenders

Most of the transfer activity this summer has been around attacking players. Few defenders have been signed. I think we may be covered in defence but the new boys must surely need to improve their defence Championship defenders will struggle in the Premier.

Toby A appears to be a class defender but seemingly little interest by other clubs. If we can get Toby it would be excellent business and someone at last gets a quality recruit and I don''t include Kolo Toure.

we wont be signing toby, definatly not. must be other top quality centre halves out in europe somewhere.

Defender wise there have been some defensive signings in the prem - just not prominent ones.

However, we are not in August yet so I would not judge anything too much on that.

As for the Toby coming for more talks rumour - could be true, but even if it is how do we know it''s not a bit like the QPR-Hooper scenario? Other teams waiting to see what his price and wage demands are? Or that his agent is being clever and using us to show that he is ready to move?

So many ifs and buts.

Normally it takes the bigger teams to start signing players for chains to start. For example Man City are interested in Pepe - where would that leave Lescott? Who would Real want to replace him? Skrtel is apparently attracting interest from abroad - if he goes who will Liverpool look at to replace him? Rumours are a Greek defender in Germany at the moment.

You just don''t know what is around the corner in football.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]we wont be signing toby, definatly not. must be other top quality centre halves out in europe somewhere.[/quote]

But isn''t he booked into Dunston Hall next week?

[quote user="pete"]Most of the transfer activity this summer has been around attacking players. Few defenders have been signed. [/quote]
It may seem that way but it isn''t true because strikers get attention, but most teams have been signing defenders. Mainly young defenders (early twenties) and unknowns from exotic leagues like South America, but the defenders signed so far are:
Aston Villa: Antonio Luna, Jores Okore
Cardiff: John Brayford
Chelsea: Cristian Cuevas
Everton: Antolin Alcaraz
Fulham: Fernando Amorebieta, Sascha Riether 
Hull City: Curtis Davies, Maynor Figueroa
Liverpool: Kolo Toure
Man Utd: Guillermo Varela
Norwich: Jonas Olsson, Javier Garrido
Southampton: Dejan Lovren 
Stoke:  Marc Muniesa, Erik Pieters
Sunderland: Valentin Roberge, Modibo Diakite
Swansea: Jordi Amat
West Ham: Razvan Rat
The only two teams not to sign a defender are Blackpool (no surprise, they won''t play with any defenders) and Man City. 
There are actually more teams who haven''t signed a striker than there are teams who haven''t signed a defender. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="pete"]Most of the transfer activity this summer has been around attacking players. Few defenders have been signed. [/quote]
The only two teams not to sign a defender are Blackpool (no surprise, they won''t play with any defenders) and Man City. 

[/quote]
I meant Crystal Palace of course, but same thing. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="pete"]Most of the transfer activity this summer has been around attacking players. Few defenders have been signed. [/quote]

[/quote]
I meant Crystal Palace of course, but same thing. 

look on twitter at babette van haaren, shes a dutch journalist with close links to ajax. doesnt look promising

[quote user="chicken"]

As for the Toby coming for more talks rumour - could be true, but even if it is how do we know it''s not a bit like the QPR-Hooper scenario? Other teams waiting to see what his price and wage demands are? Or that his agent is being clever and using us to show that he is ready to move?[/quote]When the story of our interest broke Toby said to the media that he''d hear what we have to say and make a decision on the club as a whole, NOT on the size of the club. We then agreed a deal with Ajax and Toby rejected us in a matter of hours, saying he''ll either move to a "bigger club than Norwich" or stay at Ajax for the final year of his contract.It was definitely the same game we played with QPR, except we were the patsy for Toby (and his agent) to get his big move and no-one swooped in with an 11th-hour bid because no-one fell for it. Nobody realistically believed he would sign for us. If his father, his agent and Toby himself and not spoken to the press about it then maybe some people would have made a move but the fact that they all kept threatening half-heartedly that it was a ''possibility'' stopped their plan from working. The bigger clubs will just wait for Ajax to drop the price before they''re stuck scrapping for a ''solidarity'' pittance.If he gets his move I think it will be within the last week of the transfer window, most likely on deadline day. It won''t be to Norwich.Source: My child-like imagination.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]look on twitter at babette van haaren, shes a dutch journalist with close links to ajax. doesnt look promising[/quote]

Look closer. She is a "sports and media student". I have no reason to trust a word she says.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"][quote user="Eadie4England"]look on twitter at babette van haaren, shes a dutch journalist with close links to ajax. doesnt look promising[/quote]

Look closer. She is a "sports and media student". I have no reason to trust a word she says.[/quote]It was a geography student in Dublin who broke the news that Hooper rejected QPR and would sign for us the next day.Just sayin''

[quote user="Fozzie"][quote user="Alan_Grey"][quote user="Eadie4England"]look on twitter at babette van haaren, shes a dutch journalist with close links to ajax. doesnt look promising[/quote]

Look closer. She is a "sports and media student". I have no reason to trust a word she says.[/quote]It was a geography student in Dublin who broke the news that Hooper rejected QPR and would sign for us the next day.Just sayin''[/quote]

And hundreds of people didn''t guess that correctly....? I know I guessed it correctly. But I didn''t put it on twitter, right?

[quote user="Fozzie"][quote user="Alan_Grey"][quote user="Eadie4England"]look on twitter at babette van haaren, shes a dutch journalist with close links to ajax. doesnt look promising[/quote]

Look closer. She is a "sports and media student". I have no reason to trust a word she says.[/quote]It was a geography student in Dublin who broke the news that Hooper rejected QPR and would sign for us the next day.Just sayin''[/quote]

And hundreds of people didn''t guess that correctly....? I know I guessed it correctly. But I didn''t put it on twitter, right?

The reason I hart Twitter. Someone, somewhere will hit a nail on the head correctly one day by chance and then their followers claim to have found someone genuinely ITK. Do they really trawl through twitter feeds daily reading other peoples thoughts for a sniff of something #ncfc?

Just like a stopped clock being correct twice a day

OK some defenders are being bought but would doubt many of those have the pedigree or ability of a Bassong. Or Premier League nous of Martin Olsson. Mainly foreigners with no experience of Premier League, last season we got Garrido on loan but he already knew of Premier League requirements.

Pete, you mean other than Antolin Alcaraz,Sascha Riether,Curtis Davies, Maynor Figueroa and Kolo Toure who all have Premier League experience? Or the four other players who have Champions League or international experience.