Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Age Concern?!?!

The great age debate!

I have no problem with seeing players bought in their late twenties, early thirties. But I think we have to go back a few years and learn from experience.

Under Mr (work ethic) Worthington we got promoted and settled in for our 1st premiership season in some time. Two of the players bought in, with international experience and in their late twenties, early thirties were two great players, Mr Helveg and Mr Jonson. If you remember, they didn''t have any English footballing experience and it took the whole season for them to bed themselves in, by which time we had left it too late.

I think we should heed caution to this and think seriously about bringing in players in their twilight years with no English league experience.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]The great age debate!

I have no problem with seeing players bought in their late twenties, early thirties. But I think we have to go back a few years and learn from experience.

Under Mr (work ethic) Worthington we got promoted and settled in for our 1st premiership season in some time. Two of the players bought in, with international experience and in their late twenties, early thirties were two great players, Mr Helveg and Mr Jonson. If you remember, they didn''t have any English footballing experience and it took the whole season for them to bed themselves in, by which time we had left it too late.

I think we should heed caution to this and think seriously about bringing in players in their twilight years with no English league experience.[/quote]Bit LateUnless we can send them all back of course

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]The great age debate!

I think we should heed caution to this and think seriously about bringing in players in their twilight years with no English league experience.[/quote]
So basically you are talking about Quags and Maxi Lopez? Because none of our signings so far have matched that description.
To be fair to Mattias Jonson, he was a left winger before he signed, and he was a left winger when he left. I can''t remember too much about that season but I do remember where Huckerby played.... 
.... so where did Jonson play? I seem to remember him being stuck out on the right. He was probably about as effective on the right as Russell Martin would be if played left back all season.
That was a very odd season in hindsight. Signing Simon Charlton, a left back, and then playing him at centre back and centre mid was bizarre. In that season we bloodied a kid (Shackell) and played a midget at centre back, after having released Malky Mackay. I know his replacement was technically Gary Doherty, but we spent so little money that summer that it felt like we wanted to be relegated. 

Yes, good idea - let''s base our transfer dealings around two that didn''t quite work out nigh-on 10 years ago, however good the player might be and however good our current manager''s transfer record is.

If someone has been id''d and CH wants him, let''s just go with it. A player can work out great or be ropey, or get injured in their first game, it is part of the chance you take, and is largely irrelevant of their age/where they are from.

So let me get this right, if Norwich were offered RVP we should turn it down as its a bit of a risk due to his age??

You get good signings and bad signings no matter what the age.

And wasn''t Jonsson technically a striker who we played out on the right?

[quote user="ellis206"]

So let me get this right, if Norwich were offered RVP we should turn it down as its a bit of a risk due to his age??

You get good signings and bad signings no matter what the age.

And wasn''t Jonsson technically a striker who we played out on the right?

[/quote]
No, he was a left winger who could do a job up front.
And we didn''t play him in either of those positions. That was a bizarre season. 

For me I wouldn''t spend 5M+ on any player 30+ (maybe Messi when he gets there) especially one who has spent his whole career in Italy. Maybe its those awful sunglasses on the picture of him on his wiki page that scare me.

I think Helveg and Jonson''s experiences say far more about Worthington''s inexperience and limitations as a manager than they do about the players.

Hughton is as different to Worthington as Van Wolfswinkel to Cody MacDonald. Of a the things to worry about, this should be very low on the list.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Hughton is as different to Worthington as Van Wolfswinkel to Cody MacDonald. Of a the things to worry about, this should be very low on the list.[/quote]

I understand your point and you''re right of course, but interestingly, RVW and Cody are similar kind of players - both like to play off the shoulder of a defender, turn and run at goal.   Now there is hopefully a vast difference in the standard of their play, but one of the reasons Cody scores a lot of goals (admittedly at a lower level of football) is the one we hope that RVW will be able to do at the top level - turn defenders.  

I think Worthy gets a rough ride from Norwich fans these days who seemingly only remember him for his last season in charge.

Did a fantastic job at Norwich steering us from an bottom half team to a premiership team. We underachieved the season after but $hit hit the fan when he left, we would have never of got relegated to league 1 under his stewardship, although in hindsight it was one of the best things that ever happened to us.

i''m spartacus wrote the following post at 2013-07-29 2:50 AM:

i''m more concerned about the age of our support than the team...far too many over 50s in the lower barclay.

Age Discrimination Act.

It is unlawful because of age to:

discriminate directly against anyone - unless it can be objectively justified

And just how do you justify your comment!

I think you''ll find that''s in the workplace, City 2nd, you''re still allowed to call someone a bit of a fogey ;)