Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Will Norwich have an English Int. at Brazil?

say Hooper blazes the net with wolfie this season, consistant goals, gets into the top 2/3 English goalscorers in the prem, will he get the call up?

many point out holt and lambert, some say because of age they didn''t get the call up, many say because of their team, or both.

will it be any different with hooper?

Apparently, the only reason he missed out on a callup last year was injury...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/07/gary-hooper-celtic-england-barcelona

... So I see no reason why he wouldn''t get a call up to a friendly at least, and after that who knows.

Rooney needs to move into midfield asap. He''s not best as a striker anymore, if he ever was.

That leaves, from recent called up forwards, Walcott, Wellbeck, Defoe, Carroll, Sturridge.

Four of those are similar age (mostly younger) to Hooper. Defoe the only older one.

From as neutral a view as possible, Wellbeck isn''t good enough really. So many people say the same, yes he has good points, he isn''t as bad as some make out, but if England play one up top then he shouldn''t be the man, no way on earth.

Sturridge could get the nod as the man of he carries his good form in the middle for Liverpool into this season. Walcott the same, needs game time in the middle. Defoe, well who knows. If he stays at Spurs he''ll hardly play and won''t get a call up.

Carroll, if he stays injury free will be in the squad, he''s a much better play than many give him credit for, not his fault Liverpool paid silly money for him, that''s dented his reputation forever. He''s a great target man, very strong, fantastic header of the ball.

So it''ll be tough for Hooper to get in, but there should be a space for him should Welbeck not perform, again.

Ruddy will be in the squad. Turner has an outside chance, continue the form he was in, an injury or two and surely he''d make the squad? How many are better than him, playing first Sam football in the PL?

While I agree that Turner SHOULD get a chance, I don''t see it ever happening to be honest. Not a big enough name. Ruddy should be nailed on and possibly Hooper has a chance. Perhaps I''m too pessimistic

Depending on the season they have (and us qualifying!) I imagine Ruddy, Hooper and Redmond have varying degrees of chances of getting in. Who knows Howson (Johnson/Turner long but not inconceivable odds!) might be an outside chance if he has a great season.

The cynic in me would suggest that unless Hooper bags 15+ goals minimum he won''t get a look in because he plays for us, same goes for the rest of the team bar Ruddy who seems a cert with the England coach here.

Holt didn''t get a call because he had 1 season at the level and he was among the top of a disappointing bunch on there own his figures didn''t scream ''international quality'' just compared to the crap/broken seasons that many others had. Hooper has played Champs League already and IF he has a good season this year he will get a call in the summer at least for a friendly I''m sure.

Hooper''s chances of an England call up will depend entirely on how well he does in a Norwich shirt. His passed call up when at Celtic will become completely irrelevant if he doesn''t score goals.
He is more likely to be noticed by Hodgson than Holt though because of his age, pure and simple. Hodgson has been building a young England team ever since taking the job, took a young team to the Euro''s, it was never likely that we would take a thirty one year old with no international experience.
And in hindsight he was completely right not to, because Holt didn''t do well enough last season to justify further inclusion, so if he had have been called up to those two friendlies and the Euro''s then he would have had an England career which lasted about four months. If Hooper gets a chance next season then he could end up being in the running for five or six years at his age. 
If Howson can play to his potential over the course of a season, instead of one month per season, then you wouldn''t be able to rule out the possibility that he could win a cap or two, but Brazil highly unlikely.
Realistically John Ruddy will be the only one there, with Hooper having an outside chance.