Sign in to follow this  
PKC

What £5m bought Striker wise in 2000

Just to place the fee we payed for Gary Hooper into some sort of context at the start of the 2000-01 seasomn Leicester payed Wolves £5.3m for --- Ade Akinbiyi!

You can find extremely expensive flops and fantastic bargains from every season and era though.
Danny Graham moved for £5m in January, Swansea must be laughing.
We sold Chris Sutton for £5m, British transfer record. Justified that price tag at Blackburn (think he won the Premier League?) but then moved to Chelsea for £10m and scored 1 in 28.
This does underline precisely why we needed both RVW and Hooper though, and why we probably need one more. There is every chance that Hooper or Ricky Van Wolfswinkel could struggle to justify their price tags. That''s the grim reality.
Obviously we all hope that they don''t struggle, but it can and does happen - even to very talented players, like Chris Sutton. He was worthy of far more than 1 England cap but severely damaged his reputation.
We forget about all the flops though. Everybody got momentarily very excited when Man City paid £19m for Brazilian international Jo in 2008. He scored 1 in 21 for Man City and 5 in 27 on loan at Everton before being sent back to Brazil. 
If either one of Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel can score the goals required to keep us in this division, and preferably mid-table, then I''d be happy. We can''t really laugh at other teams flops right now though, if we sign 9 players in this window then one of them is bound to be unsuccessful, I just hope it isn''t RVW.  
At the minute though we have three strikers who have 2 Premier League starts between them, so I''m not getting too cocky just yet. 

Didn''t Owen go to Madrid for 6 million... Oh times have a changed! fredos are now 25p and they used to be 15p...