Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

The £40m Summer

Could it this happen? Chris Hughton wants more signings we all know that Fabio Quagliarella has been openly discussed and at the moment we are one striker short. Every Premier league side needs four strikers, even if it would mean that he may have to adopt two strikers up front at times.

Carlo Nash - Free

Nathan Redmond - £3.2m

Martin Olsson - £2.5m

Javier Garrido - £1m approximately

Gary Hooper - £5.5m

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel - £8.5m

Leroy Fer - £4m

If we were to add Fabio Quagliarella and Toby Alderweireld for £7m each then that would take us to around £40m for the summer. If we got those two it would simply be a different level we have moved to.

Quagliarella may be 30 but he is capped 25 times by Italy. Even at 30 while there is little sell-on value he would provide goals and experience. If you averaged his fee over a few season for top flight guarenteed football he is worth every penny.

Paul Lambert would have dreamed about these type of figures banded about. For me Hughton is the right man to make the ''big money'' signings and attract the bigger names.

Exciting times indeed, still don''t understand this age business with Quagliarella though, Zola was 30 when he came to Chelsea and that didn''t turn out too bad!

I suppose technically Ricky wasn''t paid for this summer, but yeah, I definitely see what you mean! I know its been aid about 100 times this close season, but what a difference 5 years can make!

I agree completely that I''d rather have had Hughton spending that sort of cash over Lambert. Probably unfair as I''ve never seen a Lambert with £40m to spend, so don''t know what he''d do with it. Probably unearth enough unproven talent to fill about 6 squads of 25 players [:P]

I still don''t think we will sign 2 more players at £7m a piece. Maybe one, then loan someone for the other position if its still seen as priority. As i''ve seen another poster say on a different thread, we MUST have money left in January to paper over any cracks that have appeared in the first half of the season!

Its unreal isn''t it?

I wonder what Lambert makes of it all.

I''d rather we take it slowly than as it is starting to appear, simply trying to prove that we have millions upon millions to spend. Spending money will not guarantee success and I hope we''re not doing this just to prove to Lambert that he should have stayed. Let''s consolidate with what we now have and add when we need to. Evolution and not Revolution !!!!

[quote user="Vazzza"]I suppose technically Ricky wasn''t paid for this summer, but yeah, I definitely see what you mean! I know its been aid about 100 times this close season, but what a difference 5 years can make!I agree completely that I''d rather have had Hughton spending that sort of cash over Lambert. Probably unfair as I''ve never seen a Lambert with £40m to spend, so don''t know what he''d do with it. Probably unearth enough unproven talent to fill about 6 squads of 25 players [:P]I still don''t think we will sign 2 more players at £7m a piece. Maybe one, then loan someone for the other position if its still seen as priority. As i''ve seen another poster say on a different thread, we MUST have money left in January to paper over any cracks that have appeared in the first half of the season![/quote]I wouldn''t have minded Lambert buying us Benteke !!!

Layout not as big as £40m. Redmond is £2m plus add ons. RVW from last seasons budget. Quag rumoured to be £9m and Toby at £5m. Loanees will not be up to standard of signings to date and will join us for us to give them experience remember De Laet and Kane.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Wiz"]

Its unreal isn''t it?

I wonder what Lambert makes of it all.

[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.

I wonder if he has regrets. Might be a little early to judge though.
[/quote]

I''m not sure he would. He seems to have an interesting project going on at Villa, and is building his own team which does have a lot of potential, if not very light on the ground when it comes to experience. I''m sure he sees what we are doing and wonders a little, but probably has enough on his plate to keep him busy.

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d rather we take it slowly than as it is starting to appear, simply trying to prove that we have millions upon millions to spend. Spending money will not guarantee success and I hope we''re not doing this just to prove to Lambert that he should have stayed. Let''s consolidate with what we now have and add when we need to. Evolution and not Revolution !!!![/quote]

The club is doing what it has done for several seasons now, running as a co-operative, to use McNs'' term, and putting any money not being used to run the club into the football - which is as it should be. It''s just that there''s a lot more money available from the improved TV deal, which is why we''ve gone into europe - we have a better package to european players now than all but the top teams in Holland, Germany, Italy etc.

Well, I think we''ve earned a lot of respect in the football community for punching above our weight with little money, and I am proud of that as a Norwich fan. I don''t want us to lose that respect as QPR did by trying to be too financially arrogant. If we fail on the money we are spending we are going to look stupid and all this spending is doing is putting extra pressure on us to do well. To spend just because you can is not good policy.

"I''d rather have had Hughton spending that sort of cash over Lambert."If you imagine that Hughton or Lambert are/were solely responsible for buying and selling the players then you have very little understanding of how the club runs.There should be enough clues in the way Hughton says ''we'' when describing recent transfer activity. The players are identified by the scouting network and then the process goes through the board with McNally (and sometimes Bowkett) finalising the negotiations''Hughton and Lambert''s job is to manage what is made available.

Us and QPR are miles apart, but this was the upgrade that the squad needs to push on, it''s the mistake Wolves made after there second season by investing in off the field stuff rather than backing Mcarthy.

I think we will have a much quiter January as we are trying to ensure we start the season with the complete squad and plenty of options.

Where we different with QPR is that we know that we won''t be paying the huge wages Remy and Samba were offered ans what''s more the majority of our transfers have been for young promising talent with only Quag being older then 26 (Nash doesn''t count)

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d rather we take it slowly than as it is starting to appear, simply trying to prove that we have millions upon millions to spend. Spending money will not guarantee success and I hope we''re not doing this just to prove to Lambert that he should have stayed. Let''s consolidate with what we now have and add when we need to. Evolution and not Revolution !!!![/quote].

Do you actually think before you write?

Just look at how many players Lambert signed in the two summers he was with us. Each time he gave the squad a serious upgrade and overhaul. He would have acted similarly this summer if he''d been here. You consolidate when you are safe to do so. When we are a comfortable mid table side safe from relegation before the end of February, then we might consolidate. Until then, we must survive and thrive and as Lambert showed two years running, you do that by overhauling and upgrading your squad.

[quote user=CambridgeCanary][quote user="paul moy"]I''d rather we take it slowly than as it is starting to appear, simply trying to prove that we have millions upon millions to spend. Spending money will not guarantee success and I hope we''re not doing this just to prove to Lambert that he should have stayed. Let''s consolidate with what we now have and add when we need to. Evolution and not Revolution !!!![/quote].

Do you actually think before you write?

Just look at how many players Lambert signed in the two summers he was with us. Each time he gave the squad a serious upgrade and overhaul. He would have acted similarly this summer if he''d been here. You consolidate when you are safe to do so. When we are a comfortable mid table side safe from relegation before the end of February, then we might consolidate. Until then, we must survive and thrive and as Lambert showed two years running, you do that by overhauling and upgrading your squad.[/quoteDo you think before you write, because you start with a put-down, so I can''t be bothered to read the rest.

Hughton was no doubt told the same as Lambert when he became manager:- "there is not a massive amount of money to spend on the squad this summer (2012), but once our debt is paid off a decent sum will be available. Use this season to consolidate in the Premiership and plan for the next and, if you keep us in here you''ll get our backing in the transfer market".

Also think that was the reason behind some of the showings last year; it was all about keeping us up (keeping it tight and making us tough to beat). This season you will see a different animal and I am excited by this.

Well that didn''t come out well Cambridge, but I''m sure you get the gist. Respect begets respect.

I will add that another reason I dislike QPR is the way a certain person I know was full of it when they were taken over by a billionaire and all he would go on about was how they would be buying all of the best players and win the Prem in just a few years.......... he also hated Norwich and would put us down at every opportunity.  I believe in Karma !!!

[quote user="paul moy"]Well, I think we''ve earned a lot of respect in the football community for punching above our weight with little money, and I am proud of that as a Norwich fan. I don''t want us to lose that respect as QPR did by trying to be too financially arrogant. If we fail on the money we are spending we are going to look stupid and all this spending is doing is putting extra pressure on us to do well. To spend just because you can is not good policy.
[/quote]

So Norwich should not spend money, get relegated and then sit in the Championship, pulling their furlock as teams such as Derby, Leeds and Nottingham Forest get promoted, saying ''I know my place, sorry for troubling you''?

Pressure pushing players and clubs to succeed - the money is there, so spend it, it will do Norwich no good to have it all sitting in the bank doing very little.

Also are we spending just to spend? All our signings have been in areas that we have been lacking... I don''t think any of the new additions are luxuries. I don''t think the board are going to throw out their plan of the last 4 years just to prove a point to Lambert or other teams... Daft to think so, nothing we have done has suggested that, in fact I''d say there are other teams such as Cardiff and Southampton who are both throwing a lot more money around and probably deserve that title.

[quote user="birchfest"]Also are we spending just to spend? All our signings have been in areas that we have been lacking... I don''t think any of the new additions are luxuries. I don''t think the board are going to throw out their plan of the last 4 years just to prove a point to Lambert or other teams... Daft to think so, nothing we have done has suggested that, in fact I''d say there are other teams such as Cardiff and Southampton who are both throwing a lot more money around and probably deserve that title.[/quote]I hope I''m being daft thinking that but with a brain these silly things happen.

Yep "unreal" somes it all up for me too!  It''s even got me, and I am very conservative when it comes to expecations, thinking about a lofty position in The Premier League being achievable. By that I mean above my best of 10th/11th previously thought.............but, then I thought that it is really so difficult without actually seeing how it all pans out, so then I calmed down again....... 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Well, I think we''ve earned a lot of respect in the football community for punching above our weight with little money, and I am proud of that as a Norwich fan. I don''t want us to lose that respect as QPR did by trying to be too financially arrogant. If we fail on the money we are spending we are going to look stupid and all this spending is doing is putting extra pressure on us to do well. To spend just because you can is not good policy. [/quote]

So Norwich should not spend money, get relegated and then sit in the Championship, pulling their furlock as teams such as Derby, Leeds and Nottingham Forest get promoted, saying ''I know my place, sorry for troubling you''?

Pressure pushing players and clubs to succeed - the money is there, so spend it, it will do Norwich no good to have it all sitting in the bank doing very little.

[/quote]Great if spending this money means we will reach top ten but awful if we spend it and go down. Personally, I think we''ll scrape it close again as I''m sure there will be at least three worse teams.  

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Well, I think we''ve earned a lot of respect in the football community for punching above our weight with little money, and I am proud of that as a Norwich fan. I don''t want us to lose that respect as QPR did by trying to be too financially arrogant. If we fail on the money we are spending we are going to look stupid and all this spending is doing is putting extra pressure on us to do well. To spend just because you can is not good policy.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Great if spending this money means we will reach top ten but awful if we spend it and go down. Personally, I think we''ll scrape it close again as I''m sure there will be at least three worse teams.  

[/quote]

There will be three worse teams because Norwich have spent money to improve the squad.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Well, I think we''ve earned a lot of respect in the football community for punching above our weight with little money, and I am proud of that as a Norwich fan. I don''t want us to lose that respect as QPR did by trying to be too financially arrogant. If we fail on the money we are spending we are going to look stupid and all this spending is doing is putting extra pressure on us to do well. To spend just because you can is not good policy. [/quote]

[/quote]Great if spending this money means we will reach top ten but awful if we spend it and go down. Personally, I think we''ll scrape it close again as I''m sure there will be at least three worse teams.  

[/quote]

There will be three worse teams because Norwich have spent money to improve the squad.

[/quote]Indeed, but even if they had not spent the money and kept Holt there would still be three worse teams. Hull, Cardiff and Palace spring to mind.