Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Premier League Loans

When we came up, loans were seen as almost a necessity to staying up, a chance for us to bring in quality we wouldnt normally be able to get. Didnt quite work out like that, but that was the mentality - loans were a positive thing for us to borrow a top player for a year. This season I would be surprised if we loaned anyone.

My question is this. Discounting the newly promoted teams, how common are loans in the Premiership? How many of our competitors last season borrowed a player?

Everton always seem to have someone in like Drenthe (Distin said thay usually have a small squad so this might be why) and have notably used the MLS. Landon Donovan and Thierry Henry are memorable MLS imports by bigger teams.

I havent really noticed what other Premier league teams have done over the last two years. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether loans are likely to be a regular strategy of ours or whether it is something we will rely less and less upon as we continue to grow?

Our first year back the main success as a loan was Naughton who gave us a quality LB, better than we could have afforded at the time.

I think the big problem with Prem loans is the big clubs generally wa t to loan out players who aren''t quite ready for them. So you may get a good player for a season like Likaku but at the end of the season you''ve got to replace him. A d he goes back to his club with his value enhanced. Or he''s not up to the Prem yet (if he ever will be) like Harry Kane obv. In which case it''s a bit of a waste of time. A bit like Ayala''s season at Forest last year for them

But I guess the club still has a strong memory of the downside to loans from the Roeder years

So is there any benefit to us taking a loan this season? I can''t see it really as the squad generally is looking pretty good. The sort of position where we''d possibly want a loan eg striker as cover the problem is you''re going to be offered a other untried player like KAne