Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

The Everton Model

Hello all.  Apologies if this has been discussed already.Just imagining the conversations the Board and CH were having this summer.  Talking about what their new goals should be and how to get there.  Now that the club had freed itself of debt and had managed two mid-table finishes, how do we push on?  Surely any Champions League aspirations are too far afield but to get into the Top 10 consistently must be a goal.  And if they looked at clubs they could look to emulate, football-wise, maybe Everton was the club that most exemplifies a standard that could be our "next achievable goal".So it would stand to reason that many of the players we''ve been associated with this summer have also been mentioned as potential targets for Everton.  Leroy Fer.  Arouna Kone was a target for both club if you believe the press.  I think there was some talk of Redmond interesting Martinez.  And Alderweireld was rumoured to be interesting both Merseyside clubs.  I dont think the list stops there....I''m sure there were more....I just dont remember.If true, seems like a clever target by the Board.  Its a lofty goal to be consistently between 5th and 8th but surely its something for us to shoot for on the backs of what we''ve accomplished over the past few years.  Plus, I''d have to say we''re better positioned financially than Everton at this point.So....next stop...we''re trying to be Everton.Thoughts?

I think that we can achieve the position Everton has had over the last few seasons, so I can totally see what you''re saying here.

That said, I tip Everton to struggle this season.

I would say the club''s aim still is to finish as high as possible.There''s nothing they can really do otherwise.Discussions towards this end will having been taking place since the summer of 2009

[quote user="nycanary"]Hello all.  Apologies if this has been discussed already.Just imagining the conversations the Board and CH were having this summer.  Talking about what their new goals should be and how to get there.  Now that the club had freed itself of debt and had managed two mid-table finishes, how do we push on?  Surely any Champions League aspirations are too far afield but to get into the Top 10 consistently must be a goal.  And if they looked at clubs they could look to emulate, football-wise, maybe Everton was the club that most exemplifies a standard that could be our "next achievable goal".So it would stand to reason that many of the players we''ve been associated with this summer have also been mentioned as potential targets for Everton.  Leroy Fer.  Arouna Kone was a target for both club if you believe the press.  I think there was some talk of Redmond interesting Martinez.  And Alderweireld was rumoured to be interesting both Merseyside clubs.  I dont think the list stops there....I''m sure there were more....I just dont remember.If true, seems like a clever target by the Board.  Its a lofty goal to be consistently between 5th and 8th but surely its something for us to shoot for on the backs of what we''ve accomplished over the past few years.  Plus, I''d have to say we''re better positioned financially than Everton at this point.So....next stop...we''re trying to be Everton.Thoughts?[/quote]

In the sense we now have no debt and the last official figures put Everton''s at £46m. But I suspect for us to emulate Everton over several years we would have to break our wages glass ceiling, with all the inherent dangers.These figures are now out of date but in 2011-12 we spent £37m on wages out of a turnover of £75m. Everton, with a turnover only slightly higher at £81m, spent £63m on wages.

or maybe just spend our wages budget more effectively

Fair point, we do need a new club model as the last one are board and owners openly admired was Charlton''s. How far we''ve come eh?

There is no model to follow but our own budgets, targets and appeal.

The fact that we have strengthened on paper in the areas we all complained about last season, means that the shortfalls should be narrowed and hopefully set us up for a better season.

We have signed pace, power, and natraul goal getters not to mention, young hungry internationals!

Why apply any club to us, we are Norwich and don''t need a model!

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Fair point, we do need a new club model as the last one are board and owners openly admired was Charlton''s. How far we''ve come eh?[/quote]

At the time the Charlton Model made sense for us - a club with strong community roots that tried to live within its means. The problem was that Charlton''s success (it slowly became obvious) was linked to Curbishley as manager, and as soon as he left the club went into a decline worse than ours, from which it is only now recovering.