Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Chris Sutton

I think he needs to snap out of this little vendetta he has about Norwich city and start to get behind the club

I don''t understand what his problem is to be honest

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5040961/Chris-Sutton-believes-Gary-Hooper-could-regret-leaving-Celtic-for-Norwich.html

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I think he needs to snap out of this little vendetta he has about Norwich city and start to get behind the club I don''t understand what his problem is to be honest http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5040961/Chris-Sutton-believes-Gary-Hooper-could-regret-leaving-Celtic-for-Norwich.html[/quote]

I noticed that as well - seems bizarre - then he appears to backtrack with this comment:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/celtic/news/sutton-backs-hooper-to-succeed_95740.html

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I think he needs to snap out of this little vendetta he has about Norwich city and start to get behind the club

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5040961/Chris-Sutton-believes-Gary-Hooper-could-regret-leaving-Celtic-for-Norwich.html[/quote]
I really don''t know why people read tabloid newspapers and then treat them as the gospel. Haven''t we learnt enough from the Leveson inquiry to know that you can''t trust a single thing that they print? 
If it didn''t cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to sue for libel there wouldn''t be much more than five pages in these papers, and those would all be adverts.  
Did Sutton say these things? Probably. Have these quotes been very carefully selected from a very long interview and in some cases taken out of context by a skilled and experience manipulator of words? Probably. 
The Sun do not want to write words which make people happy. They only want to write words which make people angry. You have gotten angry. They achieve their objective, you are the only loser. 

It''s his view and he is entitled to it.  He says that Hooper may struggle because Norwich were not ''over attack-minded'' last season. That surely is fair comment because if we do play the same way as last season surely he may well struggle to score that many goals. Celtic are a bigger club than Norwich, so again fair comment, but who really cares.   Given a few years we can be just as big. It''s the future that counts, not the past. 

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I think he needs to snap out of this little vendetta he has about Norwich city and start to get behind the club

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5040961/Chris-Sutton-believes-Gary-Hooper-could-regret-leaving-Celtic-for-Norwich.html[/quote]

Vendetta?   That''s a bit strong.  He talks quite well about Norwich and is well placed to compare the two clubs, although even he says - it is difficult to compare the two clubs.   But we are different to the club we were when he played for us.    We are moving into a stage where we are trying to mix it with the top teams, not as a financially struggling, over achieving club like we were in the early nineties - the success we had then was fantastic, but ultimately unsustainable - but as a well run, debt free, ambitious and successful club, from top to bottom.   Different to Celtic who are on a different path and will struggle to reamain the force they once were.   Sutton is speaking from experience, as you would expect, but he does sound a bit out of date with his views on both clubs.

Agreed that we were not ''over attack minded'' last season, but it was just that, last season!

His comments wouldn''t look so stupid if Hooper was placed in last seasons team, in place of Holt , but we have obviously signed a few attack minded players since then.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Agreed that we were not ''over attack minded'' last season, but it was just that, last season!

His comments wouldn''t look so stupid if Hooper was placed in last seasons team, in place of Holt , but we have obviously signed a few attack minded players since then.[/quote]The point thyough is not whether we have attck-minded players but whether Hughton will allow them to be attack-minded. I live in hope !!

IfSutton had stayed in the EPL he would have had a good England career he was good enough. His Celtic career did him no favours so far as an international career, I know there were some other issues that did not help his cause

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Agreed that we were not ''over attack minded'' last season, but it was just that, last season! His comments wouldn''t look so stupid if Hooper was placed in last seasons team, in place of Holt , but we have obviously signed a few attack minded players since then.[/quote]

The point thyough is not whether we have attck-minded players but whether Hughton will allow them to be attack-minded. I live in hope !!
[/quote]

I thought it would be painfully obvious by now that Hughton won''t allow any players to be attack-minded - he clearly doesn''t want to score goals or even win games for that matter.  In fact, some quality tabloids are saying he is planning to play both strikers in one full back position at the same time to nullify any attacking desire they might have......

Still, if Hughton does change his mind, lets hope he allows our players to be as attack-minded as some posters on here...

[quote user="vindo"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Agreed that we were not ''over attack minded'' last season, but it was just that, last season! His comments wouldn''t look so stupid if Hooper was placed in last seasons team, in place of Holt , but we have obviously signed a few attack minded players since then.[/quote]The point thyough is not whether we have attck-minded players but whether Hughton will allow them to be attack-minded. I live in hope !![/quote]

I thought it would be painfully obvious by now that Hughton won''t allow any players to be attack-minded - he clearly doesn''t want to score goals or even win games for that matter.  In fact, some quality tabloids are saying he is planning to play both strikers in one full back position at the same time to nullify any attacking desire they might have......

Still, if Hughton does change his mind, lets hope he allows our players to be as attack-minded as some posters on here...

[/quote]So Hughton was attack-minded throughout last season ?   hmmmmmmmmmmm

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="vindo"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Agreed that we were not ''over attack minded'' last season, but it was just that, last season! His comments wouldn''t look so stupid if Hooper was placed in last seasons team, in place of Holt , but we have obviously signed a few attack minded players since then.[/quote]

The point thyough is not whether we have attck-minded players but whether Hughton will allow them to be attack-minded. I live in hope !!
[/quote]

[/quote]

So Hughton was attack-minded throughout last season ?   hmmmmmmmmmmm

[/quote]

Nope, not throughout.  I think Hughton identified the areas that needed strengthening and together with the Board has worked towards rectifying that. 

Do you really think that with the calibre of players brought in that Hughton won''t be more attack-minded this coming season? 

Sutton shows a complete lack of respect to Norwich.

I''m not asking him to come out and say positive things (of which he said none in this article by the way) just that he doesn''t say the negative things he said about the club that raised him and where he made his name.

Unfortunately for our Chris, he has betrayed that empty head of his again, lacking as it does anything even resembling a brain.

His comments are all over the place and contradictory.

He''ll find it harder to score in the EPL than in Scotland. Well what does that tell you Chris? It''s a better standard maybe? So how do you then figure that playing in a league that is a better standard doesn''t improve him as a player and doesn''t improve his England chances? And remind me who the last SPL player to feature for England was? Celtic are a bigger club. Yes, but irrelevant when they are playing in a poor quality league that is getting worse.
And then:
“This year it will a different ball game. They have spent heavily bringing in Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Hooper. So they will be looking for goals from him but he is very efficient and a really good finisher.”

Eh? Seriously Chris, you''d make a worse pundit than Jordan.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="refjezdavies"]I think he needs to snap out of this little vendetta he has about Norwich city and start to get behind the club

Vendetta?   That''s a bit strong.  He talks quite well about Norwich and is well placed to compare the two clubs, although even he says - it is difficult to compare the two clubs.   But we are different to the club we were when he played for us.    We are moving into a stage where we are trying to mix it with the top teams, not as a financially struggling, over achieving club like we were in the early nineties - the success we had then was fantastic, but ultimately unsustainable - but as a well run, debt free, ambitious and successful club, from top to bottom.   Different to Celtic who are on a different path and will struggle to reamain the force they once were.   Sutton is speaking from experience, as you would expect, but he does sound a bit out of date with his views on both clubs.

[/quote]In the last 10 years we''ve been in the Uefa Cup final and the final 16 of the Champions League 3 times. And that''s from a league where domestic TV money is about £2m a season. I fail to see how we''re struggling.

I like Sutton, but I don''t think he''s best placed to advise anyone about improving their England chances - isn''t he the guy who refused to play for England B and effectively ended his own international career?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]IfSutton had stayed in the EPL he would have had a good England career he was good enough. His Celtic career did him no favours so far as an international career, I know there were some other issues that did not help his cause[/quote]His England career was over before he came to Celtic, in fairness. For what it''s worth, I can''t see Hooper getting a chance with England at Norwich. And that''s not down to Norwich. Hodgson will stick with the likes of Defoe, Sturridge etc before looking elsewhere. I remember the clamour for the likes of Rickie Lambert etc to get a call-up in the past and no matter how well he, and others, did they didn''t get a shot. I can''t see it happening for Hooper. He''d have to bang in 30 goals next season.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]IfSutton had stayed in the EPL he would have had a good England career he was good enough. His Celtic career did him no favours so far as an international career, I know there were some other issues that did not help his cause[/quote]His England career was over before he came to Celtic, in fairness. For what it''s worth, I can''t see Hooper getting a chance with England at Norwich. And that''s not down to Norwich. Hodgson will stick with the likes of Defoe, Sturridge etc before looking elsewhere. I remember the clamour for the likes of Rickie Lambert etc to get a call-up in the past and no matter how well he, and others, did they didn''t get a shot. I can''t see it happening for Hooper. He''d have to bang in 30 goals next season. [/quote]If Hooper does well he will get his chance. My only concern is that he may not be good enough in the Prem and I am eager for him to prove me wrong. Scoring 30 in the Scottish Prem with all due respect is in another universe to the English Prem IMO. You have a fantastic keeper  in Fraser Forster though.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]IfSutton had stayed in the EPL he would have had a good England career he was good enough. His Celtic career did him no favours so far as an international career, I know there were some other issues that did not help his cause[/quote]His England career was over before he came to Celtic, in fairness. For what it''s worth, I can''t see Hooper getting a chance with England at Norwich. And that''s not down to Norwich. Hodgson will stick with the likes of Defoe, Sturridge etc before looking elsewhere. I remember the clamour for the likes of Rickie Lambert etc to get a call-up in the past and no matter how well he, and others, did they didn''t get a shot. I can''t see it happening for Hooper. He''d have to bang in 30 goals next season. [/quote]If Hooper does well he will get his chance. My only concern is that he may not be good enough in the Prem and I am eager for him to prove me wrong. Scoring 30 in the Scottish Prem with all due respect is in another universe to the English Prem IMO. You have a fantastic keeper  in Fraser Forster though. [/quote]He scored in the Champions League where the defences are more often than not technically above EPL level.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]IfSutton had stayed in the EPL he would have had a good England career he was good enough. His Celtic career did him no favours so far as an international career, I know there were some other issues that did not help his cause[/quote]His England career was over before he came to Celtic, in fairness. For what it''s worth, I can''t see Hooper getting a chance with England at Norwich. And that''s not down to Norwich. Hodgson will stick with the likes of Defoe, Sturridge etc before looking elsewhere. I remember the clamour for the likes of Rickie Lambert etc to get a call-up in the past and no matter how well he, and others, did they didn''t get a shot. I can''t see it happening for Hooper. He''d have to bang in 30 goals next season. [/quote]If Hooper does well he will get his chance. My only concern is that he may not be good enough in the Prem and I am eager for him to prove me wrong. Scoring 30 in the Scottish Prem with all due respect is in another universe to the English Prem IMO. You have a fantastic keeper  in Fraser Forster though. [/quote]He scored in the Champions League where the defences are more often than not technically above EPL level.[/quote]Beware of judging teams on Cup competitions as anybody can win with lots of luck. Even Malmo reached the final in the 80s against Forest. I don''t think they would have won a Premier League and I don''t think Celtic would today. I would judge Celtic to be mid-table EPL personally... no insult intended.  

To be fair to Sutton, we are and never have been a fasionable club for the England managers. Even if Hooper scores 15 goals next year Wellbeck will be ahead of him on the England picking, just the way England managers tend to be! and one of the reasons we neve do well.

And also Sutton is correct to point out hos negative we went post January, but we have signed Fer who is a step up on the midfileders we have and should bring other into the game. That coupled with RVW shuold be a fair bit better going forward then was have ever had.

Then we have options of pacey wingers in Bennett and Redmond or cunning goal scoring wide player in Pilks and Snodders......it''s wrong to think we will be so negative this comming season, I believe we will score 50+ goals this year and end up with a positive goal diff.

But I do agree with Hooper finding it hard to get into the England squad as a Norwich player.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]IfSutton had stayed in the EPL he would have had a good England career he was good enough. His Celtic career did him no favours so far as an international career, I know there were some other issues that did not help his cause[/quote]His England career was over before he came to Celtic, in fairness. For what it''s worth, I can''t see Hooper getting a chance with England at Norwich. And that''s not down to Norwich. Hodgson will stick with the likes of Defoe, Sturridge etc before looking elsewhere. I remember the clamour for the likes of Rickie Lambert etc to get a call-up in the past and no matter how well he, and others, did they didn''t get a shot. I can''t see it happening for Hooper. He''d have to bang in 30 goals next season. [/quote]If Hooper does well he will get his chance. My only concern is that he may not be good enough in the Prem and I am eager for him to prove me wrong. Scoring 30 in the Scottish Prem with all due respect is in another universe to the English Prem IMO. You have a fantastic keeper  in Fraser Forster though. [/quote]He scored in the Champions League where the defences are more often than not technically above EPL level.[/quote]Beware of judging teams on Cup competitions as anybody can win with lots of luck. Even Malmo reached the final in the 80s against Forest. I don''t think they would have won a Premier League and I don''t think Celtic would today. I would judge Celtic to be mid-table EPL personally... no insult intended.   [/quote]None taken. It''s the kind of thing you can''t judge unless it happens. I think this current Celtic side would be top 10 in the EPL. The other side of that, of course, is that if Celtic were in the EPL we''d have the £60m annual TV money that''s coming in to spend and would, imo, be able to attract premium players over the likes of Fulham, Stoke and perhaps yourselves. Our income would grow hugely as well. It would not take us long to be big players. But it''s not going to happen anyway. That said ''lots of luck''? Behave, we came through 4 qualifiers last season and 6 group games to get to the last 16. And we''ve done that 3 times in the last decade and reached the UEFA Cup final. That is a phenomenal amount of ''luck''. Beating Barcelona, Spartak Moscow home and away, and drawing with Benfica? You''ll have to point out all the luck we got. In fact, we were damn unlucky to concede a 94th minute goal in the Nou camp. Anyway, back to the subject at hand - I don''t think Hooper has a chance of going to the World Cup with England simply because Hodgson will not look beyond the strikers at the ''big clubs'' and risk being hammered by the press.

[quote user="Indy"]

To be fair to Sutton, we are and never have been a fasionable club for the England managers. Even if Hooper scores 15 goals next year Wellbeck will be ahead of him on the England picking, just the way England managers tend to be! and one of the reasons we neve do well.

And also Sutton is correct to point out hos negative we went post January, but we have signed Fer who is a step up on the midfileders we have and should bring other into the game. That coupled with RVW shuold be a fair bit better going forward then was have ever had.

Then we have options of pacey wingers in Bennett and Redmond or cunning goal scoring wide player in Pilks and Snodders......it''s wrong to think we will be so negative this comming season, I believe we will score 50+ goals this year and end up with a positive goal diff.

But I do agree with Hooper finding it hard to get into the England squad as a Norwich player.

[/quote]Gerry Francis (QPR 70s) Geoff Hurst, Bobby Moore, Martin Peters (WH 60s), Dean Ashton was in the squad as a West Ham (small club) player and wasn''t Rob Green as a Norwich player. Sutton would have been but for his arrogance in refusing to play for England ''B'', so I really think you are wrong there. I''m sure there are many other examples of small club players playing for England.

So I ask you Paul, why is Wellbeck in any England sqaud ahead of Ricky Lambert, Holt last year? Not on performance!

I believe it will take a special season for Hooper to be given the nod, not saying i''m right or wrong, but my opinion.

[quote user="Indy"]

So I ask you Paul, why is Wellbeck in any England sqaud ahead of Ricky Lambert, Holt last year? Not on performance!

I believe it will take a special season for Hooper to be given the nod, not saying i''m right or wrong, but my opinion.

[/quote]Wellbeck, quite obviously to me, was there due to his youth and future potential which Holt and Lambert with all due respect to them did not have, and Hodgson is obviously looking to the future with the 2014 WC coming up. Hooper will get his chance if he performs in the Prem as he has youth on his side and any player better than others in the squad will get in IMHO.  Hodgson wants to win the WC like the rest of us so no way will he leave out players that he feels can help him achieve that.  He also wants his contract renewed so in no way will he favour big clubs to his detriment.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

Wellbeck, quite obviously to me, was there due to his youth and future potential which Holt and Lambert with all due respect to them did not have, and Hodgson is obviously looking to the future with the 2014 WC coming up. Hooper will get his chance if he performs in the Prem as he has youth on his side and any player better than others in the squad will get in IMHO.  Hodgson wants to win the WC like the rest of us so no way will he leave out players that he feels can help him achieve that.  He also wants his contract renewed so in no way will he favour big clubs to his detriment.
[/quote]

We will see, but I stand by what I said, if it''s a choice between Hppoer or Wellbeck to get on the plane to Brazil, I''m pretty sure he will go with Wellbeck. And as other keep pointing out with the Qag''s links he''s 30 and has a few good years ahead of him, so what has age got to do with picking players international football? If you are on form you should be played, not looking to the future and getting knocked out of competitions.

We will see and Hooper has to perform for Norwich first!

Getting back to the Sutton post....................

If you read some of his quotes, the interview was obviously in Scotland - quotes like:

“He won’t get as many chances down there as he would up here. But that’s his choice. He has chosen to go down there. It’s a real good signing for Norwich but I don’t know if it would enhance his England chances or not.”

So, I suppose if he was interviewed in Norwich, the converse would be true. Perhaps he didn''t realise the extent to which his comments were going to be analysed outside of Scotland......

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]Wellbeck, quite obviously to me, was there due to his youth and future potential which Holt and Lambert with all due respect to them did not have, and Hodgson is obviously looking to the future with the 2014 WC coming up. Hooper will get his chance if he performs in the Prem as he has youth on his side and any player better than others in the squad will get in IMHO.  Hodgson wants to win the WC like the rest of us so no way will he leave out players that he feels can help him achieve that.  He also wants his contract renewed so in no way will he favour big clubs to his detriment. [/quote]

We will see, but I stand by what I said, if it''s a choice between Hppoer or Wellbeck to get on the plane to Brazil, I''m pretty sure he will go with Wellbeck. And as other keep pointing out with the Qag''s links he''s 30 and has a few good years ahead of him, so what has age got to do with picking players international football? If you are on form you should be played, not looking to the future and getting knocked out of competitions.

We will see and Hooper has to perform for Norwich first!

[/quote]I would also add that Hooper may ironically have an advantage in that being at a small club he will not have obstacles put in his way as big clubs do sometimes by refusing to release players by concocting injuries etc when England play friendlies. Hooper will also get more game time in order to prove himself than perhaps he would get at a bigger more fashionable club in the Prem. It''s all in his own hands !!!

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]If you read some of his quotes, the interview was obviously in Scotland.............[/quote]

I agree, I think I saw it in one of the Scottish papers yesterday. His comments seem to have been watered down somewhat by the Sun..........

“But I’m not sure I’d have left a club of Celtic’s size for Norwich City if I’d been in Gary’s shoes.

“I live in Norwich and have a lot of time for the club but I can see them having a difficult season and Gary might live to regret it.

“There’s no comparison to be made between the clubs when it comes to size. Celtic are bigger and I know where I’d rather play.

“I know Gary has ambitions to play for England but, historically, there aren’t many players who are part of the England set-up while they’re still at Norwich.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-great-chris-sutton-says-2103721

So you would rather be kicking off your season against Ross county instead of Everton then Chris? If he played today he would be out of Celtic ad quickly as when Blackburns money was waved in front of his face.