Sign in to follow this  
Izaak Hunt

Your unexpected ''big'' team to struggle

Most seasons there''s a team that struggles even tho they''re a decent team with good players for example Newcastle last season, bar demba ba they were much the same team that were always in the top half in the season prior. SO I''m after your predicted ''''big'''' team that may struggle (for my own amusement) this coming season. I''m going to go for Everton I think without moyes and fellani/baines possibly going then coupled with the fact Martinez barely knows what it feels like to be away from the bottom. 4-5 places could shape up to be a real disaster.

depends how yo define big

i think the top 5 will be predictable. who knows about the rest everton will struggle to do as well as they have in recent yearssunderland have the Mussolini/di canio factor waiting to explodenewcastle have the kinnear/pardew mess waiting to happen stoke - mark hughes - LOLLiverpool ??? who knows. gerrard is OLD. suarez might not be there. only bright things are sturridge and coutinho and the jury is still out therefulham ??? could well turn into qpr if they spend foolishlywest brom are minus lukakuSwansea have a much harder fixture list with europa leaguenone of them exactly set the world alight last season. im not hearing much from a transfer perspective so far which makes me think ''damn thats a step up'' for any of them

suspect Norwich, Southampton and Swansea might be right in the mix this season

Everton might struggle.
If Tottenham lose Bale then they might struggle.
If Liverpool lose Suarez then top six isn''t exactly nailed on for them.
I''d go for Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Tottenham, Liverpool for top six (standard really), no particular order.
Unless Bale and Suarez move on, at which point I think there are places in that top six up for grabs this year. Could well still be Everton, but Newcastle are always capable of springing a surprise. 
Don''t think we have top 6 potential just yet, but I can''t see why we can''t finish comfortably in top half. 

[quote user="Snoddys Jockstrap"]''don''t think we have top 6 potential just yet'' - give me a break pal.[/quote]
You could always go away and think about Robert Snodgrasse''s big sweaty Scottish bollocks... you obviously were when you created your username. Whatever floats your boat. 

I have a feeling ManU will take time to adjust to Moyes this season. I think Chelsea and Citeh will finish ahead of them. Some of the United fans already doubting his ability to attract top name players.

The Top 5 are pretty much nailed on but I think 6th downwards could be anyone. Liverpool have struggled for a couple of years & if Suarez goes they will struggle to replace him with similar quality. A number of teams have the ingredients to implode - a number have new manager''s in place etc. Newcastle always look likely to go belly up & Kinnear appointment is bizarre. Villa could be much further up the table now that Benteke is staying.

Still think Hull & Palace will struggle this year but the third team to go down could be anyone.

I think the "big" teams (City, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs) will be the top 5 again but of the next level I see both Everton and Stoke having a massive downward turn. Martinez and Hughes both relegate teams - and are both rewarded with "bigger" jobs. Makes no sense.

I rate Martinez unlike some but I think Everton will finish lower than last season but generally I think they will be okay under him.

I think this season will be the first Time Utd will be out the top 3. Everton may struggle and I''m not convinced by Villa still.

Unthank Road wrote the following post at 27/07/2013 8:51 AM:

I think the "big" teams (City, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs) will be the top 5 again but of the next level I see both Everton and Stoke having a massive downward turn. Martinez and Hughes both relegate teams - and are both rewarded with "bigger" jobs. Makes no sense.

Unless there are some major changes to how the Premiership exists, or another mega-rich Arab/Russian turns up with mega-bucks to play with his his new toy, his Premiership club, I think the top 5 or 6 will be there for many years to come.

To make the ''competition'' a competition change is needed.

Everton and Newcastle.Its a big year for Lambert and Villa too as i don''t think the Villa fans will accept another season like last year.

The problem here is that it was who would be an ''unexpected'' side to struggle: Newcastle and Villa were pretty crap last year so if they struggle would it be that unexpected? Going with a side that was top ten or thereabouts, for me it would be Swansea (Europe fixtures always screw a side), Everton (Moyes factor) and West Ham (spunked nearly all their budget on a player who was there last season: not really ''improving'' on what they had).

Agree that from the bigger teams both Newcastle and Everton could struggle, particularly if they get off to a poor start. I really dont see Stoke as a big team, but have them nailed on as being in for a tough season, particularly after the shambles Hughes left behind at QPR.

Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland are all big clubs. But I think almost everybody ''expects'' them to struggle.As for ''unexpected'' big teams to struggle I can''t see it. The top five will be Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs and Arsenal. Because they have the most money. Although if Man U finish 3rd then it will be seen as a struggle, so maybe that is my answer.

Thinking about it a little more..........I am now thinking Man U will have a below par season by their standards.....now they really are a big team and an early exit from the Cups and out of the top two would I guess be them struggling. 

Liverpool - The rat faced cannibal will most likely leave and Gerrard is getting older. Liverpool could struggle but with Rogers they''ve got the second longest serving manager in the Premiership so I think that will count and they will scrape a top six finish.

Newcastle - It all looks set to kick off there ( no pun intended ) with Pardew and Kinnear and I can see mid season fun and games there. Cisse is now staying but hasn''t made any friends with his want away antics. I think they will struggle.

I would love Arsenal to struggle but they''ve got a very strong side so they''ll be ok

Everton will be the club that has a shocker this year. With Fellaini and Banes likely to go, Martinez will find it tough to replace them in time.

For me, it''s Everton. Unlike some, I do rate Martinez but under Moyes they were consistently performing well - possibly punching above their weight - and I don''t think they will be quite at the same level this time round, especially with their disappointing summer signings. Not relegation fodder, but they could well slip into the bottom half, more so if any of their key players [Fellaini, Baines, etc] get sold elsewhere.

I''m not sure if Stoke count as a ''big'' team but I predict a long, hard season for them under Hughes, quite possibly ending in relegation.

[quote user="clarkey1972"]Rogers second longest serving manager?

Dont think so[/quote]

Pretty sure it''s Wenger then Rogers. I see you didn''t offer your opinion!!

[quote user="Scooby"]Liverpool hopefully, please, please, please let it be Liverpool.[/quote]Me too. My wife''s a scouser and my son''s at Uni there. They couldn''t care less but my in-laws will never be happy unless they''re top of the league. Love the city, but LFC supporters have a delusional superiority complex, and must have the second highest number of non-native glory hunting supporters after United. Will never forget seeing Holt score against them at Anfield.