Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Ian Murray

Maybe they can ask that other Scottish, City legend, Steven Smith, (I think that was his name), his opinion.

While I don''t actually believe he will be under less pressure here, his other comments aren''t that outrageous. It also say''s later in the article he believes Hooper will benefit from living in a “great city with great fans”.

This piece is a few days old and saw it a few days ago but am suprised that it was posted just now. For ios users out there download an app called ftb pro. Maybe on android to not sure. Basically a football news app written by the fans but gives articles from the bbc,twitter,etc. Some good reads on there.

Look him up on wiki. There is a great comment about his time under Rodent.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]I honestly cannot recall a player called Ian Murray. Some impact he must have made! Why bother getting his opinion on anything NCFC?[/quote]i think he only played 4 or 5 games? not really time to judge him to be honest

That would be Ian Murray who played at Centre Back while he was here, yet is described as a "former Norwich City midfielder" by the Pink Un.I know it''s school holidays, but surely you check the output of the "work experience" staff?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]That would be Ian Murray who played at Centre Back while he was here, yet is described as a "former Norwich City midfielder" by the Pink Un.I know it''s school holidays, but surely you check the output of the "work experience" staff?[/quote]
He was a bit lacking at centre back but had a couple of games in centre midfield and look very handy in that part of the pitch. 
In terms of ability he was probably one of Grant''s better signings but spent a lot of time injured if I remember correctly. Was actually left with a bit of respect from me because he was a hard worker and was good little passer of the ball. 
His quotes do come across as completely clueless though, obviously doesn''t realise that he played in one of the worst Norwich teams in modern history and that we now probably have one of the best teams in modern history. 

Did I hear someone shout - sour grapes?

Murray you were out of your depth at little ole Narwich in the bad times, so don''t come preaching that the premier league will be some kind of step down from the Scottish league

Just be happy that your level was playing in front of 500 ginger haired supporters at the likes of Ross County

And even they thought you were shyte!

I think everybody is being ridiculously harsh and it is completely unwarranted. 
This is just a bloke who got a phone call from a journalist and was probably put on the spot so gave him some soundbites. Makes him look like a bit of an idiot, but not like he has phoned the journalist is it? 
When we signed from from Rangers he had been out for a long time with a serious virus, months and months, and he wasn''t fit when he arrived. He also suffered from arthritis.
Then we got unwell again at Norwich with this virus which hadn''t gone away. We have somebody above criticising him for a terrible performance at Rochdale, but he was being played out of position and was unwell on the day! Peter Grant admitted afterwards that he shouldn''t have played him because he was unwell!  
Murray was very unwell for the almost the entire duration of his time here, and shouldn''t have been signed in the first place, but he deserves some credit at least for putting his health and body on the line to try and help the cause at a time when we were bottom of the league. Then he had to put up with playing with Roeder, who he openly admitted he hated with a passion. 
Felt a bit sorry for him at the time if anything. He is now a manager at 32.... and managers are often asked for opinions aren''t they? 

Billabong, you obviously haven''t read the article, which is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23477602

I''m not sure how "It''s a fantastic place, a great city, a great club and great fans." or anything else he says is sour grapes, and he certainly never said Norwich would be a step down, except in the intensity of derbies which I certainly agree with.

Could you please read before you post in future because it''s tedious having to correct you, ta.

It pays to read the whole article as Alan Grey points out. If you want to take excerpts for the purpose of a creating a sensationalistic post to fill up the time during the silly season that is OP''s prerogative but it doesn''t make for a sustained discussion. Ian Murray was asked for his opinion as someone who has played for our club and north of the border. It was a lightweight article by journalist Mark Armstrong to fill pinkun copy and the point being, would Hooper miss the old firm derbies and the atmosphere of Celtic Park. Undoubtedly he will but don''t forget that he would have played his games at many uncelubrious venues in the SPL . The quality of venues and the crowds in the EPL are so much better overall. The further emotive point which the article provokes thought on for every proud Canary is the comparison between ''Old Firm'' versus ''Old Farm'' and whilst from a City fan''s perspective Old Farm wins every time it is the player''s perspective that is being discussed here and it''s a reasonable call to make. The merits of Ian Murray''s career profile are not in question, rather the choice of interviewee that the journalist in question sought. There were a number of higher profile ex canaries who could have given a perspective on this issue, Sutton or Hartson from a Celtic point of view or Fleck and Chris Woods from Rangers standpoint...but suggest Ian Murray was the best the journo could do at the time.

I wish all Scots no ill-will and the best of luck with their fully independent Scotland.  They will need it.....

While theres no doubt Celtic are a bigger club than us I don''t think he''ll be under less pressure here cause hes come here to prve himself at a higher level, te Premiership one of the worlds best Leagues, we''ve paid a lot of money for him and Norwich isn''t the sleepy little family club with passive fans,  we are portrayed as by many. Look at the stick players like Turner and Steve Morrison had in recent years!

Alan Grey wrote -

Billabong, you obviously haven''t read the article, which is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23477602

I''m not sure how "It''s a fantastic place, a great city, a great club and great fans." or anything else he says is sour grapes, and he certainly never said Norwich would be a step down, except in the intensity of derbies which I certainly agree with.

Could you please read before you post in future because it''s tedious having to correct you, ta.

What a tedious life you must lead trying to read newspaper articles and then trying to correct people.

If you read your link you will see it doesn''t mention -"It''s a fantastic place, a great city, a great club and great fans." you obviously made that bit up.

The article mainly deals with how Hooper will miss old firm derbies and how it doesn''t compare to the local derbies played between Norwich and Ipswich

And for some reason he will be under less pressure playing in the Prem than playing against teams like Ross County in the Scottish league??

"You still have derbies now and again with Ipswich, but it''s nothing compared to the rivalry in the Old Firm."

Can I remind you Alan Grey - Norwich are in a different league to Ipswich and Celtic are in a different league to Rangers - so neither club - last season or the upcoming season "still have derbies"

So put that in your pedantic little pipe and crawl away to your tedious little life in the depths of tediousville and smoke it! ta

Thumbs up for Norwich?

"It''s a fantastic place, a great city, a great club and great fans.

... it says. If you read it. Which you did not. I win.

Did you read it on the mobile site? Because the sidebar with that quotation in only appears on the desktop version. That would explain the confusion.

The rest of your post is still tosh though, I assume, didn''t read it really.