Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Sky NowTV Box

There was a discussion on here a couple of weeks back about how it would be a great idea for Sky to allow fans to watch just the games they want on a pay-per-view basis, without needing a subscription. Looks like they were listening in!

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/26/sky-launches-now-tv-box

Looks like it''ll cost £10 for a 24-hr access pass to Sky Sports, which sounds expensive but if you only need to watch a couple of matches a month works out way cheaper than a full-blown Sky subscription, and should give access to reliable HD streams instead of the sketchy free ones available online. (and of course if you have a few mates round and split the cost, it ends up being even better value!)

it appears they are merely catching up with BThowever it is not the debate that was being had on herethese are only the scheduled games NOT the other games that are being watched on internet streams, pubs etc

We have just signed up to BTsport to go with our phone and internet contract, BTsport costs £5 a month and for an extra £20 a month you can get Sky sports 1 and 2. Then for an extra £2 a month you can get 18 other channels like Gold or comedy central

It''s been available on any device that can get NowTV (And obviously on browsers) for a while now, there''s endless adverts about it as Sky is obviously pushing the idea hard.

It does seem vastly overpriced when getting Sky Sports for a month from various sources is comparatively not much more.

That said I''m going to try it out on some of the Norwich games as the quality is TV as opposed to the shite on many streams.

It''ll be interesting to see how they get on, was unaware they were launching a box, and it is definitely a step in the right direction, but 10 pounds a day seems slightly too high.

HerefordCanary wrote the following post at 2013-07-30 9:03 PM:

We have just signed up to BTsport to go with our phone and internet contract, BTsport costs £5 a month and for an extra £20 a month you can get Sky sports 1 and 2. Then for an extra £2 a month you can get 18 other channels like Gold or comedy central

I am with BT for telephone and Internet and as a result receive BT sport 1/2 and ESPN free as part of my contract. just go on line to your BT account and sign up and hey presto the channels are added to sky digibox. No charges whatsoever to BT telephone/Internet customers sonrather surprised HC that you have been charged!

BT deal sounds much better in that case! I''ll probably get the box as I live outside the UK so can''t get BT - Sky box or app hooked up to my TV and routed through a VPN should work well enough though... Been using streams for years but I''d be willing to pay to get a decent HD stream that won''t freeze every 10 seconds!

[quote user="HerefordCanary"]We have just signed up to BTsport to go with our phone and internet contract, BTsport costs £5 a month and for an extra £20 a month you can get Sky sports 1 and 2. Then for an extra £2 a month you can get 18 other channels like Gold or comedy central[/quote]

The same as I pay Sky for what you have, no difference but the other note is that box is not what it seems, you will end up paying more than what you wanted  

I got the free NowTV pass when the Man City vs Man Utd game was on.The stream died within minutes though...But as a good gesture they gave me 5 more free passes to use whenever.If there''s a decent day of sport on it''s actually pretty good.Managed to watch 2 Prem games, the Premier League years and some F1 the other month. At £9.99 it''s still a bit hard on the wallet though