Sign in to follow this  
| wolfswinkel |

Best and worst memories at NCFC

Just wondering what your best and worst memories whilst supporting norwich?

My best memory was Simeon Jackson vs derby in the last min! Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up!

Worst memory was Fulham away when we got relegated getting beat heavily!

Best moment watching Norwich win the Milk Cup at Wembley although I didn''t see much of the goal as the guy in front got up before the ball ended up the back of the net.

Worst moment was losing to Birmingham at Cardiff on penalties, just had that feeling it would happen so turned my back as I couldn''t watch!

The Sunderland semi-final made me more angry than a worst moment as I remember the ball going across the goal in front of Daryl Sutch and wondering why he didn''t just chuck himself at it as surely he would score, never did see the replay though so had no idea how close he was to it! Also I traded my Norwich shirt for a Sunderland one and not realising that I had given away a large one that fitted and got a medium that didn''t, I was that cheesed off I didn''t even register the guys size that I changed with!!!

for, me the lowest was when we lost to charlton and were relegated to league one. closely followed by fulham away (the first time) and colchester at home.

the highs; the run in europe, all the promotions, and arsenal, man utd and particularly man city last season.

wolfswinkel -Just wondering what your best and worst memories whilst supporting norwich?

My best memory was Simeon Jackson vs derby in the last min! Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up!

Worst memory was Fulham away when we got relegated getting beat heavily!
For best moments, the one that sticks in my memory is Iwan Roberts goal in the play off final in Cardiff.  From the far end you could see as soon as the cross started to come over, you just knew he was going to score.   A great moment, even though it wasn''t a great match or outcome.

Worst moment would be sitting amongst MU fans at Old Trafford in our first prem season (couldn''t get a ncfc ticket) and jumping up to my feet when Pilkington was through on goal - and then realising I was the only one standing for miles....... [:$]

A best and worse moment almost in the same instant would be Keelan''s penalty save in the League Cup Final in 1975  [:)]  only for Grayson to bang in the rebound.  [:(]   

Pretty much exactly the same as the OP. Guess you are around your 20''s aswell!

Although I must say, the whole of the Championship season leading up to this premiership stay was probably one of my favourite seasons. Some great football, the aggregate score against the scum and a pitch invasion at Pompey when winning promotion, was all just pretty....magical for lack of better words. Was expecting at least 2 seasons in the champs, minimum.

Its got to be either "that Safri goal" against Newcastle (Skip to 50 secs on below vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWCAeNSO_B4

Colchester. Lowest ever moment as a City fan.

Best was probably promotion back to Prem.

too too many ..............though getting soaked in the rain at Brighton in ''83 and being knocked out of the q''finals stands out as one of the worst

the year before at Hillsborough, all of us in the Leppings Lane End when the confirmation of Shrewsbury''s draw with Leicester meant we were up - we''d waited five minutes as it was delayed and the pitch was full of jeering Weds fans - hugely leery old drive back down the A1 in the bright evening sunshine, waving to all the coaches full of City fans, scarves streaming from every window

Best: 2-1 v Newcastle in 2005 - ''that goal'' from Safri, Newcastle''s 89th minute equaliser, then Ashton''s injury time winner. I really thought after 2-0 v Man U and the Newcastle game that we would push on and end up beating the drop...Worst: 6-0 v Fulham. Although losing 4-3 to Southampton in injury time a couple of weeks after the Newcastle game was a horrendous defeat in the circumstances

"RichT - The Biscuit"Am I currently the only oldie on this forum, all other posts seem to have happened in the 20..''s!?

Reasonably old but my memory is shot. The good times in the late 80''s, early 90''s I missed by being in a haze or out of the country. The rest of the 90''s are pretty forgettable.

I could put in the good years under Worthy but the promotion under Lambert was truly special.

Worst was selling Kevin Reeves and the play off final at Cardiff , best was beating the binners to go TOTL@PR and and obviously the Portsmouth game

So many ups and downs when you support City, not always directly related to the match itself.

That Brighton Cup game was also one of my worst, went to the game with real high hopes too. In the bad old days, worst memories supporting City come to mind when I remember the brick through the train window at Wolverhampton that landed on the table in front us, it was the first game I took my girlfriend to (now Wife) and we went on to lose 1-0 I think to an Andy Gray goal.

Being smacked in the face big time and having my precious white, green and yellow scarf (remember those?) nicked by Leeds fans whilst walking to the match wasnt great nor was being kicked by some MIllwall yobs during that 2-2 draw many moons ago.

Similar feelings in that infamous FA Cup replay at Orient when a load of West Ham fans gate crashed the match, last minute equaliser that we dare not cheer in case we had our lights punched out and then lights out on the coaches on the way out of the car park and another brick/s through window experience.  

Although I wasnt at the game, the Colchester defeat really hit me hard at the time, really was stunned by that and was my lowest moment in all of the years I have supported the clubm and that includes semi final, play-off and relegation let downs too.

Best memories, I got a huge buzz out of the Sunderland Milk Cup win, I was old enough to really appreciate that result but unfortunately a bit drunk to really remember it. The first European home match vs. Vitesse was a very proud night and I felt massive pride particularly before the match vs Milan outside the San Siro when I heard "On the ball City" coming out of one of the bars, and to enter and there was a pint on the counter waiting for me, pride again at the end of the match despite the defeat as a result of the Milan fans reaction to us, brilliant memories.

Match wise, Steve Bruce winner vs Ipswich, also a particularly great Martin Peters goal at Forest when they were apparently impossible to score against at home. So many other Ipswich matches, particularly being at Portman Road for Leon''s goals and our massive 4-1 and 5-1 double in the promotion season with Holt''s hat trick...does it get any better.

Many more but it would start to get boring, that is if it hasnt already.......    

"That Brighton Cup game was also one of my worst, went to the game with real high hopes too."

that was the worst of it, there was a real sense of it ''being our year''as to bricks Charlton away Easter ''72 when the coaches were parked on waste land and many of the front windows had been ssmashed - ruddy freezing drive back to Norwich, still raining when we went to Watford a bit later ........... what a day !

Greenwich hospital after Millwall away in 75'' but still ok to get down to Pompey (more grief) and see us up, again

(not too sure whether a fair bit of the fun has gone out of the game)

Best: At Orient in 1972, witnessing promotion to the top tier.Worst: Robert Chase scrubbing his plan to float us on the Stock Market. I was SO looking forward to that.

Exactly, its that sense of expectation as you say that "being our year" element that made that Brighton match reult so bad, and as I recall there was a offside controversy too.

I shouldnt have left out the Watford game, I think that was about the first time I realised just how much Norwich City meant to me!

Too many to choose from, but here''s a few:

Best: Milk Cup win at Wembley, UEFA cup matches and strangely, that moment we went 3-1 up at home to Wolves in the first leg off the play-off semi-final and the ground literally rocked.

Worst: losing 3-1 at home to Man Utd in the inaugural Premier League season. Getting stuffed 5-0 at Goodison Park in the FA Cup (the pain slightly eased by blaming it all on Simon Tracey in goal). I guess I should add the play-off final, but getting promoted a couple of seasons later healed that one (thanks Worthy).

Best moments - so many to chose from,  Hux,  milk cup, eadie, drinkell sutton, the whole 92-93 season and the last 4 seasons all feature highly by my favourite memory is undoubtedly the 1-0 home defeat to Inter Milan.     Having got through 2 rounds we faced an extremely strong inter side with truly world class players like zenga, batestini, jonk, bergkamp and sousa (compared to just a good bayern side) who could leave schillaci on the bench and we actually matched them while they went on to comfortably win the competition.  Rob Newman against Sousa highlighted how unequal the match was but I have never been prouder to be yellow.

In contrast most of the bad days have been recent,  the sunderland cup semi was a real low and similar in disappointing no show as the more recent fulham and charlton no shows.    Nothing however compares to the horror show of losing 7-1 and being effectively bottom of the 3rd tier for just about the first time ever. 

Best memories, early 80s.

1 - Milk Cup semi-final game, as brought up mainly in Diss region. Rivalry at high school.

2 - Promotion season away at Sheff Weds ''82. We lost but the painful wait for the Leicester result to come in.

Worst? Relegation from the Premiership first time around, think it was Leeds and listening on the radio as it happened. Deehan not to blame as those high up killed our season with the mass sellings

For me the worst feeling wasn''t losing the playoff final, it was realising as Birmingham City kicked off again that Golden Goal didn''t count anymore. I can tell you that I wasn''t the only one that day that thought it did and as soon as they kicked off had an impending feeling that it wasn''t going to be our day. That felt worse than when we lost on penalties as I''d kind of already resigned myself to the outcome.

The very worst time was the period from when we sank valiantly beneath the waves at The Valley and the board not even being able to form a quorum and letting Gunn carry on.

About the only thing missing was a band playing "Nearer, My God, to Thee" such was the magnitude of the failure

After that night in St Andrews hall things started to get interesting, "My name is David and I''m your new chief executive"

1-5 at Portman Road, I can''t remember a night quite like that, Fratton Park was simply epic but for me the completion of 9-2 has to be the all time favourite moment

Best has to be Munich away, I''ve been dining off that "I was there" moment for the last 20 years, would be nice to have a new european adventure tale to tell over the next 20 yearsOne of my worst memories that sticks out was making these two away trips in the space of a few days back in December 1996. Just when you thought it couldnt get much worse after the first game, it did !18 Dec 1996 WBA 1-521 Dec 1996 Port Vale 1-6