Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Turner to Hull?

[quote user="City1st"]why not simply post a link to the article ?

[/quote]

Because you''re expected to do your own research to find this earth-shattering "news".

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]I could do but I didn''t realise it was such a terrible crime just to paraphrase the article.[/quote]

you are just making yourself look sillier by the minute

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Jersey Canary"]I could do but I didn''t realise it was such a terrible crime just to paraphrase the article.[/quote]

you are just making yourself look sillier by the minute

[/quote]

I am failing to see what I have done that is so wrong. It seems like the message board Police are out in force again trying to stop good debate.

or the idiots are out, unable to grasp the meaning of debateyou made a contentious claimit is beholden upon you to prove it

nothing silly about crime or policejust back it up with evidence

Turner was highly impressive in the second half of the season, which was all the more impressive considering it came on the back of some vitriolic criticism - it must have required so much mental strength to keep the belief and turn his performances and the fans opinions around.

It was more than just a shaky start, he was absolutely dreadful to begin with, and the confidence drained out of him. But he was fantastic second half of the season. I doubt he''d have too much loyalty to the club as the fans were on his back for a long time, and he may always resent that, as opposed to somewhere like Hull where he was always worshipped - and if he gets told he wont be first choice next seaon (were we to get Alderweireld) I cant see why he would want to stay.

Hull would be a good move for him if he wanted to leave, in the way Wigan was a good move or Holt.

But Turners performances last season won me and most other fans round. He''s a bit one dimensional, and his game is more lower league style, but he is still head and shoulders above Bennett and Barnett. I assume the case is also true of Ayala, though we''ve not seen enough to judge. Turners strength and aerial prowess in both boxes mean we should keep him if we can. Both him and Bassong are very different centre-backs, and they complement each other well. We only have one Bassong type though, whereas Bennett, Barnett, Ayala and Turner are all a similar mould. We could do with a similar player to Bassong to play next to Turner when he is injured. You dont want two centrebacks with the same weaknesses playing next to each other

[quote user="Jersey Canary"][quote user="refjezdavies"]I don''t mind about the article just your conception of turner as a defender...

You really don''t have a clue but I fear your not alone[/quote]

And your opinion is obviously more valid than everyone else''s. You''re just arrogant.[/quote]

No I''m just right...there''s a difference

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Turner was highly impressive in the second half of the season,

We only have one Bassong type though, whereas Bennett, Barnett, Ayala and Turner are all a similar mould.  [/quote]

I know a lot of people say it but I don''t get this whole thing about Turner in the second half of the season. I''ve heard it from people in person too, saying things like he was rubbish for the first few months.

Look to the home wins against Arsenal and Utd, he was an absolute tower of strength in those matches and they were October/November time - very much the first half of the season.

Also, Ayala is nothing like the other centrebacks. He is all about being a ball player and he is clearly quite good on the ball. However, he is very weak defensively.

Fair comment about Ayala, I still feel like I havent seen enough of him yet to form an opinion, but I dont see him in the Bassong mould, fair enough I was probably wide of the mark saying he was similar to the others.

Turner was good in the games you mention, but I think his consistency in the second half of the season was key. He may well have been consistent earlier in the season, but perhaps we didnt trust him before that point in the season. When someone plays as badly as he did at the start of the season perhaps it took a while to stop feeling like a big mistake was always in him. Perhaps the second half of the season was simply when even the most sceptical became convinced, so more a reflection of supporter confidence than true performances.

He was terrible when he started though. Hard to know why that was. Was he not match fit? (think he''d had a good run at the end of the season with Sunderland though, but had been out of the team a lot before then) Did he not get the sufficient prep work in pre-season. Did he simply not know his team-mates well enough?

Hopefully having reached the level of performances he did last season, his teething problems were simply that and he will start the season well.

Holt was always felt to start the season off form and fitness. Lets hope this wasnt the same with Turner and he starts the season the way he finished the last

I still feel Bennett has the quality to be one of our first choice CB''s this season. Great defensively, getting better each game, and has goals in him

[quote user="SYG"]I still feel Bennett has the quality to be one of our first choice CB''s this season.  [/quote]

He could well be first choice.

If Bassong or Turner are unavailable.

[quote user="refjezdavies"][quote user="Jersey Canary"][quote user="refjezdavies"]I don''t mind about the article just your conception of turner as a defender...

You really don''t have a clue but I fear your not alone[/quote]

And your opinion is obviously more valid than everyone else''s. You''re just arrogant.[/quote]

No I''m just right...there''s a difference[/quote]

No you''re just talking cr@p that''s the difference.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Fair comment about Ayala, I still feel like I havent seen enough of him yet to form an opinion, but I dont see him in the Bassong mould, fair enough I was probably wide of the mark saying he was similar to the others.

Turner was good in the games you mention, but I think his consistency in the second half of the season was key. He may well have been consistent earlier in the season, but perhaps we didnt trust him before that point in the season. When someone plays as badly as he did at the start of the season perhaps it took a while to stop feeling like a big mistake was always in him. Perhaps the second half of the season was simply when even the most sceptical became convinced, so more a reflection of supporter confidence than true performances.

He was terrible when he started though. Hard to know why that was. Was he not match fit? (think he''d had a good run at the end of the season with Sunderland though, but had been out of the team a lot before then) Did he not get the sufficient prep work in pre-season. Did he simply not know his team-mates well enough?

Hopefully having reached the level of performances he did last season, his teething problems were simply that and he will start the season well.

Holt was always felt to start the season off form and fitness. Lets hope this wasnt the same with Turner and he starts the season the way he finished the last[/quote]

That''s how I see it as well. If we are going for more ball playing defenders then Turner might not get a look in and he strikes me of being a player who needs to play regularly to maintain form.