Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Wigan are after Barnett for £0.5m

Not going to happen though is it. Hughton has already stated that he''s not in his plans and that we''re in for another defender. Whats the point in keeping Barnett if we''re going for another defender anyway? Makes no difference, no point paying him just as a use for insurance, we''ll get another defender who Hughton deems to be better than him.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Take the money, we are getting a £7-8m centreback anyway who can play alongside Bennett for now.[/quote]Agree. 500k + Barnett off the Wage list can''t be a bad bit of business.He clearly isn''t featuring this season anyway.

Yeah worth taking, even with Bassong and Turner fitness issues,

Would rather a 50/50 Bassong than Barnett anyway. He''s a good championship CB, but I think Cardiff not wanting him back (if that is the case, as it seems) is more than enough to suggest this isn''t really his level.

Anyone know how much we paid for him? I know this will bring the inevitable deluge of posts saying fees are irrelevant, but I still like to know. Undisclosed fee as usual. I think West Brom paid Luton 2.5m for him, think we were rumoured to have paid around the 1-1.5m mark. Anyone know more?

Thought it was £350k. 4 year contract was a gross mistake by Lambo also the one given to Ayala. At that time we were not giving 4 year contracts. Fox still here must have been given 4 years. Now we can offer 4 year contracts e.g. Leroy and RVW.

He''d be a great signing for any Championship club and I hope he gets a good move.

Don''t think he will go for as little as that, more like £750.000 might get him, when he arrived here the Baggies fans were glad to see him go too, but to be honest he was never going to fit in here was he, Just one of Lamberts bargain basement finds.

[quote user="pete_norw"]Don''t think he will go for as little as that, more like £750.000 might get him, when he arrived here the Baggies fans were glad to see him go too, but to be honest he was never going to fit in here was he, Just one of Lamberts bargain basement finds.[/quote]

To be fair I''m pretty sure part of the reason we got him was because he had played alongside Elliott Ward elsewhere (Coventry maybe?) and they''d formed a good partnership.

I always thought he cost 800k, at the time a good price for a centre-half that in the Championship will win almost everything thrown at him in the air and most along the ground.

Another player we''ve moved too quickly for, doesn''t quite have the x-factor at PL level and I wish him well wherever he goes. If they get him (and really even if they don''t) they''ll be a force this year.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]Great news, take the £0.5m and get him off the wage bill. Simple.[/quote]

Do Clubs always accept the first offer?

A player who I dont think was ever fully accepted by the fans in general, and whilst I have no real problem with him we should certainly move him out, mainly as a result of our progress and quality we can now afford. BUT, I actually think at 0.5m he is a bit of a bargain and would expect more than 750k particularly from a club who can afford it (not that should make any difference).

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]Great news, take the £0.5m and get him off the wage bill. Simple.[/quote]

Good Championship player but not Premier League. Sell and save the wages.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

Do Clubs always accept the first offer?

[/quote]I doubt their will be any fee involved, though I suspect Wigan will have to buy out the remaining part of his contract, or part of that part.We have already said pretty much that he is surplus to requirements so realistically it will be no more than clearing a financial liability of our books.

Bite their hands off. Bassong, Turner, Bennett and Cafu all better than Barnett for that centre-back spot and Hughton also appears to be giving Ayala a crack during pre-season.