Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Crow - so far 68% say Worthy was wrong

OK so that may be 68% of 4 or 5 of us I know! But, why can''t we be told the REASON behind Worthy''s decision. So far we are all speculating on things like......''he was greedy'', ''told the club to shove it'', ''his injury is worse than thought'', ''coaching staff think he''s not up to it'' etc. etc.

Thanks for all your posts to my original ''Crow - this is MADNESS'' topic, lots of well argued opinions which is what this board is all about. Of course it would be stupid to keep any young player here ''just in case'', you have to consider their career either here or elsewhere. Maybe Worthy will spend some of the summer Francis money on a good striker with proven record from a lower league club (like Leon) BUT my point was surely simple. WE CANNOT GO ON JUST BUYING, BUYING, BUYING. We do not have the money - FACT.

AND - we have all agreed that Crow is one of (if not the most) promising youngsters at Carrow Road so again I ask the question what the hell is the point of the Academy. Crow plays with his head up and has that knack of creating time and space on the ball. It took me about 15 minutes when I first saw him in the Youth Cup match v Sheff Utd in January 2004 to see that he was clearly the best (by miles) in that team.

I''ll give Jarvis another 12 months then he too will be gone. Lewis - 2 years then the same thing.

WORTHINGTON IS NOT COMMITTED TO DEVELOPING OUR YOUNGSTERS      

I believe that Crow was an excellent prospect who I felt was better than both Hendo & Jarvis.  But Worthy stated a few month''s back that size matters & Norwich have always been known as having small players, in an article in the local press he stated something like Club policy is to look for bigger players for all age groups inclusive of first team as size does matter.  I just believe that this decision was partly to do with his comments on size & I am also convinced that the new players that will be brought to the club in the coming months will all be over 6 foot. 

Yeah, Worthy''s right, we need big, tall strikers like Owen, Defoe and Rooney. They can crack in the goals because of their immense height.

I would have thought it was obvious - Worthy thinks that Crow is not worth a longer term at the club. Pure and simple and so the football wheel goes on. The only people who see the players day in, day out are the staff and after all they''re the ones who''ve played the professional game and know if someone has what it takes.

Get over it

This is just rediculous! People have seen him play a total of about 30 minutes of 1st team football and they think he is GOD!

What are you people on about when you say that he is better than Jarvis? He is 19 Jarvis is 17/18 isnt he? And Jarvis has had about the same amount of time on the pitch and cracked in a scorcher against the scousers.

I really dont understand what the big fuss is about. Crow was not released - his contract was up and it may just as easily been him who decided not to stay on as being told he wasnt good enough. As I have said before, it is actually better for him if he moves on.

He needs to go to a team where he is going to be given a fair crack of the whip. Whilst he is at Norwich he will be 5th or 6th choice striker. Look at what regular football has done to Hayes, he was never going to do that sitting in the reserves at Norwich was he?

Lets face it football is a tough, tough career. Sometimes its better working for a different employer who can offer you a position more suited to you. I dont think he really wants to be somewhere that he is only going to start after two or three injuries in the squad. And fair play to him for that.

Fair play Chicken - you make some good points.

I am NOT saying that he was DEFINITELY good enough for either the Premier or Fizzy League and should certainly not be kept on just to see if he makes it.My main point though was what message this sends out to the rest of our youngsters and the whole Academy project. If he was good enough to come on against Boro and Liverpool (admittedly when we had a lot of injuries) you would have thought he was good enough to at least compete with the other strikers here.

If, on the other hand, we see Jarvis being given much more of a chance next season (what has happened to his career in the last2 years?) and maybe there are others from the youth set up who will emerge over the next two years or so and are given real opportunities then fair enough but don''t hold your breath. Worthy prefers the cheque book. I SAY IT AGAIN, WE CANNOT KEEP BUYING PLAYERS ALL THE TIME. IT HAS TO BE A BALANCE BETWEEN BRINGING THROUGH OUR OWN TALENT AND BUYING FRINGE PLAYERS FROM PREMIERSHIP CLUBS AND / OR GOOD PLAYERS (Drury, Mckenzie etc) FROM THE LOWER LEAGUES.   

I think that YR was saying that it would be good to know why Crow has been released.

Of course it''s only the coaching staff who saw Crow on a daily basis, but these were the staff who nurtured him through the Academy, who selected him for the various "Junior" sides where he scored goals for fun and who promoted him into the Premiership squad last season.

I would suggest that if you were Crow you would have thought your career was coming along quite nicely...then boom

So, all we are asking is just why was he released, and it could have been something as simple as Crow turned down an improved contract...at least we would know.

When any player is released it tends to mean that either the team has enough players in that department or that the player is not good enough.

Thats the normal situations. There are others such as the player doesnt want to stay or that the club wont up their offer on a contract etc etc.

I think this is more like the first outcome. If we kept him he would probably be loaned out continuously so that the club didnt have to pay another striker that we are not using.

In a way its better to let him go than keep him and make him become a loanee journeyman! He needs a consistant situation to improve and if you read his comments he needs to be playing or at least stand a chance of playing regular first team football.

Like I said its not that the boy could become good enough, its just that at the moment he doesnt stand a chance of making the first team line up and its exactly that which he needs to progress.

Like I said Coote was allways tooted as the next best player but he was into his mid 20''s before he started making a push for regular first team football and it was too late by then, he had missed out on experience and not made the grade.

Many of you said that Shacks needed a run in the team to see if he was up to it. And in all fairness the rest of the defence was a shambles so there was no risk in it.

But when you have players like Hux, Sven, Ashton, McKenzie all fighting for a starting berth there is little chance that a manager will risk playing a youngster instead of them. You risk loosing their loyalty to the club amoungst other things.

I think you are wrong about sending out the wrong message to the accademy players. Look at Shacks, Green, Jarvis, Hendo and the rest. Ashton came from an accademy set up didnt he? They have plenty of inspiration and incuragement infront of them!

Lets also remember that Crow was not wanted back by Northampton for their playoffs, but is fit again (he played for our reserves at the begining of the month). Worthy gave him a chance to prove himself; he gave him a contract for this season, sub appearances with us and the loan spell at Northampton, but obviously decided that he was still behind Jarvis / Hendo let alone Svenn / Deano / Leon etc. Its in Crow''s interests to try elsewhere.

Yes its disappointing, but likening him to Rooney / Defoe / Owen / Wright-Phillips is taking things a bit far! He certainly doesn''t have their pace / strength and so would always struggle at the highest level which is what we are aiming at. I know Jarvis has been bulking up, and had good reports from the Colchester fans who would love him back next season. For me he also has a great first touch, and showed he knows where the goal is against Liverpool. He also won back his England U19 place after losing it following his injury. I think there is more to back up keeping Jarvis than Crow. Personally I am still undecided whether Hendo can make a top class striker - we need to see him play for us there rather than on the wing before we can decide.

Bringing players through from the academy to Premiership football is not easy, we should be relatively proud that Crow looks like he can make a career at lower levels. Our policy of our own academy plus close relationships with the best ''feeder'' clubs like Crewe is IMO paying great dividends.

This certainly isn''t something to be knocking Worthy over.