Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

West Ham moving for Snodgrass

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Evesham Canary"]Snoddy would be a big Sam player. Generally good set piece delivery & works his socks off. I tend to agree with those who feel a new contract for is what is likely to happen next. Pilks & Bassong would also be on my list for an improved deal. Amongst all these new signings we must continue to look after the key existing players.[/quote]

Yes, Snoddy would be a terrific asset to Allerdyce as he would provide crosses for Carroll when Carroll is ever fit. The bottom line is that if we are offering 30K a week or whatever for new guys coming in then we must upgrade the contracts for existing key members of the squad to parity or we will be breeding dissent and also damaging squad spirit.  Jealousy and money will break our increasing success if we are not careful. 
[/quote]

Do you know what they are currently earning then? Do you not think this is something that the management team is always conscious of or do you think you have just stumbled upon the Holy Grail?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"] Last season Snodgrass was in the leagues top three with balls into the box, like you''ve already mentioned he''s great at set pieces and he also supplied assists as well as contribute to the team with goals. [/quote]

This is where statistics can be misleading. One of the top three for putting balls into the box, maybe, but what about the quality of those balls?   Pilks has a better and more consistent delivery - but doesn''t do it enough.  Snodgrass is always getting in there and trying hard, but he needs to up his percentage of accuracy to be talked about as a £10m + player.   

[/quote]

I may be missing something here but why is it so important "to be talked about as a £10m + player"? Who exactly is going to do all this talking (you and a few others down the pub?) and why are you placing so much emphasis on it? Ax far as I am concerned, as long as he is playing well, making a good contribution to the team, scoring and creating goals, etc, I don''t give a monkey''s whether he is talked about as a £5M player, a £10M player, a £15M player and so on.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"] Last season Snodgrass was in the leagues top three with balls into the box, like you''ve already mentioned he''s great at set pieces and he also supplied assists as well as contribute to the team with goals. [/quote]This is where statistics can be misleading. One of the top three for putting balls into the box, maybe, but what about the quality of those balls?   Pilks has a better and more consistent delivery - but doesn''t do it enough.  Snodgrass is always getting in there and trying hard, but he needs to up his percentage of accuracy to be talked about as a £10m + player.   

[/quote]

I may be missing something here but why is it so important "to be talked about as a £10m + player"? Who exactly is going to do all this talking (you and a few others down the pub?) and why are you placing so much emphasis on it? Ax far as I am concerned, as long as he is playing well, making a good contribution to the team, scoring and creating goals, etc, I don''t give a monkey''s whether he is talked about as a £5M player, a £10M player, a £15M player and so on.[/quote]

I was just responding to other posters - I thought that was the idea. [:^)]   Several posters said he was worth £10, £12, £15m.  Just my opinion that he isn''t worth that.............yet.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Evesham Canary"]Snoddy would be a big Sam player. Generally good set piece delivery & works his socks off. I tend to agree with those who feel a new contract for is what is likely to happen next. Pilks & Bassong would also be on my list for an improved deal. Amongst all these new signings we must continue to look after the key existing players.[/quote]Yes, Snoddy would be a terrific asset to Allerdyce as he would provide crosses for Carroll when Carroll is ever fit. The bottom line is that if we are offering 30K a week or whatever for new guys coming in then we must upgrade the contracts for existing key members of the squad to parity or we will be breeding dissent and also damaging squad spirit.  Jealousy and money will break our increasing success if we are not careful.  [/quote]

Do you know what they are currently earning then? Do you not think this is something that the management team is always conscious of or do you think you have just stumbled upon the Holy Grail?

[/quote]Not at all, but just feel that good old commonsense is often lost and has been with many moneyed clubs in the past..... QPR for instance. Assuming that everybody has commonsense is a major failing IMO because basic thinking is simply not done.

If Paul has an abundance of what is commonly called ''common sense'' then I think that without doubt the rest of us have absolutely none.

It would be illogical to argue otherwise.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Evesham Canary"]Snoddy would be a big Sam player. Generally good set piece delivery & works his socks off. I tend to agree with those who feel a new contract for is what is likely to happen next. Pilks & Bassong would also be on my list for an improved deal. Amongst all these new signings we must continue to look after the key existing players.[/quote]

Yes, Snoddy would be a terrific asset to Allerdyce as he would provide crosses for Carroll when Carroll is ever fit. The bottom line is that if we are offering 30K a week or whatever for new guys coming in then we must upgrade the contracts for existing key members of the squad to parity or we will be breeding dissent and also damaging squad spirit.  Jealousy and money will break our increasing success if we are not careful. 
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not at all, but just feel that good old commonsense is often lost and has been with many moneyed clubs in the past..... QPR for instance. Assuming that everybody has commonsense is a major failing IMO because basic thinking is simply not done.

[/quote]

Presumably this is the "good old commonsense" that will forever link your name with a certain former player?

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Evesham Canary"]Snoddy would be a big Sam player. Generally good set piece delivery & works his socks off. I tend to agree with those who feel a new contract for is what is likely to happen next. Pilks & Bassong would also be on my list for an improved deal. Amongst all these new signings we must continue to look after the key existing players.[/quote]Yes, Snoddy would be a terrific asset to Allerdyce as he would provide crosses for Carroll when Carroll is ever fit. The bottom line is that if we are offering 30K a week or whatever for new guys coming in then we must upgrade the contracts for existing key members of the squad to parity or we will be breeding dissent and also damaging squad spirit.  Jealousy and money will break our increasing success if we are not careful.  [/quote]

[/quote]Not at all, but just feel that good old commonsense is often lost and has been with many moneyed clubs in the past..... QPR for instance. Assuming that everybody has commonsense is a major failing IMO because basic thinking is simply not done. [/quote]

I just love the way some posters make points of stunning banality which are often too basic to even qualify as statements of the bleeding obvious. Even worse, they then parade these points as brilliant insights and try to suggest that sharp top level professionals like McNally and Hughtom will not have thought of them.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]Not at all, but just feel that good old commonsense is often lost and has been with many moneyed clubs in the past..... QPR for instance. Assuming that everybody has commonsense is a major failing IMO because basic thinking is simply not done. [/quote]

Presumably this is the "good old commonsense" that will forever link your name with a certain former player?

[/quote]Not to mention the Daily Mail.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"] He gives 100%, but then spends time and energy complaining about things.   This is not top half premiership play.   [/quote]Yes, because players from Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea accept the referees decisions without complaint and just get on with it, don''t they?   Honestly, I think you live on a different planet sometimes.[/quote]

Maybe, but when I see other players complaining they don''t do it in a way that looks as if their soul has been ripped out of their bodies like Snodgrass does sometimes.  He reacts out of all proportion, not just about referee decisions, but through disappointment at himself  and what is going on around him, as well - a lot of mental energy wasted and loss of focus.  

[/quote]

Spot on!

[/quote]Imagine how good Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal would be if all their players stopped doing this.  Hey, England could well win the World Cup.Honestly, you people.

He is worth more than £5m and less than £20m

West ham are no less ambitious than us and could be seen as more attractive to sum, probably paying larger wages so it''s entirely plausible snoddy could be interested

We will only sell if we don''t want him, he wants more wages than

we think he is worth, hewants to go or we get a stupid offer. Again all are possible.

Unlikely to happen but can only wait and see. I am glad clubs want our players - it confirms we have good ones :-)

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Banana, I think I speak for the vast majority of City fans when I say what I''d love to see happen is for you to f**k off and "support" someone else. Have you been on Twitter yet to give him some abuse? Idiot.[/quote]

You certainly speak for me.

[/quote]

One of these would be very handy.

liquidiser photo: COOKWORKS LIQUIDISER ( Glass ,2 SPEED WITH PULSE ACTION) (( P1250292_zpsc43b3920.jpg

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"] He gives 100%, but then spends time and energy complaining about things.   This is not top half premiership play.[/quote]Yes, because players from Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea accept the referees decisions without complaint and just get on with it, don''t they?   Honestly, I think you live on a different planet sometimes.[/quote]Maybe, but when I see other players complaining they don''t do it in a way that looks as if their soul has been ripped out of their bodies like Snodgrass does sometimes.  He reacts out of all proportion, not just about referee decisions, but through disappointment at himself  and what is going on around him, as well - a lot of mental energy wasted and loss of focus.   [/quote]

Spot on!

[/quote]Imagine how good Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal would be if all their players stopped doing this.  Hey, England could well win the World Cup.Honestly, you people.[/quote]

You have struck a chord with me there, because it has long been my view that a lot of the histrionics shown by players - and managers - are counterproductive to good football.  If you look at athletes - the  British ones last year at the Olympics in particular - you see 100% focus - hence the good results last year.  It taught  Andrew Murray a few things too.  As far as footballers go, their focus is distracted from playing football by the urge to influence decisions by shouting and complaining at refs, falling down to try and win free kicks - it is now part of the culture.  But, if you had a team who don''t do this, a team that just focused on playing football, didn''t get distracted or affected by things they can''t control - you would see a Clough inspired Notts Forest style of football - focused, relentless, less contentious incidents, easier on the eye kind of football.   Better for everyone. It isn''t going to happen in this day and age, but clubs like ours need to get every advantage they can and that for me is not diving around, or complaining when things aren''t going your way - but just to focus on the football.  They are only on the field for 90 minutes. The least they should be able to do is focus 100% for that length of time.  If they can''t do that, they are not getting the best out of themselves, for themselves, for the team and for us. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"] He gives 100%, but then spends time and energy complaining about things.   This is not top half premiership play.  
[/quote]

Yes, because players from Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea accept the referees decisions without complaint and just get on with it, don''t they?   Honestly, I think you live on a different planet sometimes.

[/quote]

Maybe, but when I see other players complaining they don''t do it in a way that looks as if their soul has been ripped out of their bodies like Snodgrass does sometimes.  He reacts out of all proportion, not just about referee decisions, but through disappointment at himself  and what is going on around him, as well - a lot of mental energy wasted and loss of focus.  

[/quote]

Spot on!

[/quote]

Imagine how good Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal would be if all their players stopped doing this.  Hey, England could well win the World Cup.

Honestly, you people.
[/quote]

I don''t know why you are so dismissive Chops? (Although the majority of folk are - that''s why I work in this field of training!). To the best of my knowledge England don''t have a full-time Sports Psychologist. And yes, the England team would do well to have one! 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"] He gives 100%, but then spends time and energy complaining about things.   This is not top half premiership play.[/quote]Yes, because players from Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea accept the referees decisions without complaint and just get on with it, don''t they?   Honestly, I think you live on a different planet sometimes.[/quote]Maybe, but when I see other players complaining they don''t do it in a way that looks as if their soul has been ripped out of their bodies like Snodgrass does sometimes.  He reacts out of all proportion, not just about referee decisions, but through disappointment at himself  and what is going on around him, as well - a lot of mental energy wasted and loss of focus.   [/quote]

Spot on!

[/quote]Imagine how good Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal would be if all their players stopped doing this.  Hey, England could well win the World Cup.Honestly, you people.[/quote]

You have struck a chord with me there, because it has long been my view that a lot of the histrionics shown by players - and managers - are counterproductive to good football.  If you look at athletes - the  British ones last year at the Olympics in particular - you see 100% focus - hence the good results last year.  It taught  Andrew Murray a few things too.  As far as footballers go, their focus is distracted from playing football by the urge to influence decisions by shouting and complaining at refs, falling down to try and win free kicks - it is now part of the culture.  But, if you had a team who don''t do this, a team that just focused on playing football, didn''t get distracted or affected by things they can''t control - you would see a Clough inspired Notts Forest style of football - focused, relentless, less contentious incidents, easier on the eye kind of football.   Better for everyone. It isn''t going to happen in this day and age, but clubs like ours need to get every advantage they can and that for me is not diving around, or complaining when things aren''t going your way - but just to focus on the football.  They are only on the field for 90 minutes. The least they should be able to do is focus 100% for that length of time.  If they can''t do that, they are not getting the best out of themselves, for themselves, for the team and for us. 

[/quote]I don''t know where to start with this pile of tripe.Actually, let''s start with Olympic athletes - who don''t play in 90 minute matches, and there are seldom referees making decisions in track and field events, so your comparison is complete nonsense.So when you say they are "only" on the field for 90 minutes, what does the "only" compare to?  Why are you comparing professional football to amateur athletics?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Actually, let''s start with Olympic athletes - who don''t play in 90 minute matches, and there are seldom referees making decisions in track and field events, so your comparison is complete nonsense. So when you say they are "only" on the field for 90 minutes, what does the "only" compare to?  Why are you comparing professional football to amateur athletics?[/quote]

It compares well to a tennis match  where the matches can go on for four or five hours. Also, Murray is one who admitted that he learned a lot about competing by working with the olympic athletes last year and contributed to his breaking through to the top of the game.   Things can go against you in all sports, people overtaking you in a race, being jostled by other runners,  a tennis player hitting ace after ace past you.  Anything that is against you is not for you, so you have to remain focused at all times in most of these sports.  It is harder in team sports, admittedly, but it can be done - its just that the culture around football these days is against it.    It''s "in" to dive and cheat to get an advantage.  But tha is to the detriment of the sport.Amateur or professional  - and most athletes are professionals anyway - it doesn''t matter who you are - if you are not focused on what you are doing and react to things that are beyond your control, you are not getting the most out of yourself.

John McEnroe might disagree with your tennis analogy LDC if you think arguing with officials is a major issue.

While I kind of understand your sentiments, its very difficult to give 100% focus (nigh impossible) for a sustained period of time in any field of work.

Running 100 metres, throwing a Javelin, doing the high jump you probably can.

I doubt any tennis player, footballer or any other sport that''s played over a sustained period of time can retain a mental focus for that period or they would be flawless.

I''m pretty sure many of the best footballers do retain just as high a focus as they possibly can or they wouldn''t be at the top of their game. Once the whistle''s gone and play is stopped surely their arguing just shows passion rather than a loss of focus? In fact does it not show an inability to not be focused fully on the game?

For those of you saying Snodgrass doesn''t deliver quality in the box...

WhoScored.com ‏@WhoScored

Robert Snodgrass: Only Leighton Baines (22) created more clear-cut chances than Robert Snodgrass (16) in the Premier League last season

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"] He gives 100%, but then spends time and energy complaining about things.   This is not top half premiership play.   [/quote]Yes, because players from Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea accept the referees decisions without complaint and just get on with it, don''t they?Honestly, I think you live on a different planet sometimes.[/quote]POTD.

Even if they are interested then no chance the club will agree and £5m is a laugh as we paid £3m and he has done well and there is no doubt a sell on clause for leeds

[quote user="Monty13"]John McEnroe might disagree with your tennis analogy LDC if you think arguing with officials is a major issue.

While I kind of understand your sentiments, its very difficult to give 100% focus (nigh impossible) for a sustained period of time in any field of work.

Running 100 metres, throwing a Javelin, doing the high jump you probably can.

I doubt any tennis player, footballer or any other sport that''s played over a sustained period of time can retain a mental focus for that period or they would be flawless.

I''m pretty sure many of the best footballers do retain just as high a focus as they possibly can or they wouldn''t be at the top of their game. Once the whistle''s gone and play is stopped surely their arguing just shows passion rather than a loss of focus? In fact does it not show an inability to not be focused fully on the game?[/quote]

The tennis analogy is interesting (imo [:)] ) because if you look at the lengths the very top tennis players have had to go to get to the top, it is quite astonishing.  Federer really raised the bar in the field of focusing your mind to the utmost to get the best out of himself.  He has a mental stability, calmness and awareness that is second to none - and showed for many years in his results.  Nadal too, very rarely loses his focus.   Djokovich and Murray have had to turn to yoga and meditation to get to the same kind of plateau that these two have been on for years, in terms of mental calmness and  focus.   In the tennis arena there are no hiding places and in some matches you are literally almost a spectator as you watch the ball go past  you - ace after ace - but you still have to have the confidence, calmness and focus not to let that affect your game.Football matches are a roller coaster of emotions, whether you are a player or a spectator and for me, the very best players don''t allow the emotions to get to them.    It is why it disappoints me when I see Snoddy getting so worked up - often for no other reason than he has done something that he shouldn''t have - that is try to get a free kick and when the decision goes against him he gives a very good impression of  a baby throwing his toys out of the pram.    Its not good to watch and for me it hinders him as a player.   I want him to give 100% - and I am sure he is trying to,  I just think that he could focus his energy better, keep his composure better - it would improve his game - maybe to the extent of making him the £10m + player that some seem to think he is already.

Wasn''t it Robin van Persie that said, after playing against Barcelona, something along the lines of:

''What you don''t see from the stands is that Barcelona work so hard off the ball, when they lose it they have a player on every one of your players and one player on the referee."

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Actually, let''s start with Olympic athletes - who don''t play in 90 minute matches, and there are seldom referees making decisions in track and field events, so your comparison is complete nonsense. So when you say they are "only" on the field for 90 minutes, what does the "only" compare to?  Why are you comparing professional football to amateur athletics?[/quote]

It compares well to a tennis match  where the matches can go on for four or five hours. Also, Murray is one who admitted that he learned a lot about competing by working with the olympic athletes last year and contributed to his breaking through to the top of the game.   Things can go against you in all sports, people overtaking you in a race, being jostled by other runners,  a tennis player hitting ace after ace past you.  Anything that is against you is not for you, so you have to remain focused at all times in most of these sports.  It is harder in team sports, admittedly, but it can be done - its just that the culture around football these days is against it.    It''s "in" to dive and cheat to get an advantage.  But tha is to the detriment of the sport.Amateur or professional  - and most athletes are professionals anyway - it doesn''t matter who you are - if you are not focused on what you are doing and react to things that are beyond your control, you are not getting the most out of yourself.

[/quote]Right, okay.  So you''ve now ditched the Olympics analogy and you want to talk about Tennis - a game played one person v one person (or two v two if doubles), with regular breaks in play.  So no, that doesn''t compare well to football which is a game played by 11 players per side for two halves of 45 minutes.Anyway, I''ve had enough of your waffle.  As you yourself say, in one of your more lucid moments,"If you are not focused on what you are doing and react to things that

are beyond your control, you are not getting the most out of yourself."Your responses are beyond my control, not to mention sanity, and I can''t be bothered to react to them any more.  Enjoy the message board, have a nice life etc.

Potential for another classic LDC threaad here. Dig, dig, dig and develop an even more absurd point with each post. Where will this one end I wonder.

Bigger windows will be essential to our ultimate success in this transfer window, without them it may well be curtains!

[quote user="Canarygirl"]Potential for another classic LDC threaad here. Dig, dig, dig and develop an even more absurd point with each post. Where will this one end I wonder.[/quote]

Nothing to say on the subject except to condemn?  What a surprise....And to Chops - sports psychology is something that footballers and football clubs ignore at their cost.   Football, as usual is behind other sports in this - and other areas.