Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

"Bassong touch n go for start of season"

perhaps that was why dear old Paeyalla was playing tonight and why Barnett has still not gonewith Turner off to Hull we could be jiggered

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Pilkington has also picked up a knock. Out for the week they reckon.[/quote]That does not bode well either... Need these players ready for Everton, these little niggles seem to be interrupting our rhythm.

Even Bassong was ''fit'' for Everton, match fitness will be lacking. It''s going to be a few games before he catches up to the others.I''d be happy enough with Bennett alongside Turner, or a back four of Whittaker RB, Garrido LB, with Turner and Russ together at CB.Ideally though we just sign Alderweireld and need not worry at all [:D]

On a serious note though, that''s one hell of a crash and I hope she and the bambino are ok.

On a footballing note, Ayala hasn''t looked too bad in pre-season but I think we''d be fine with R. Martin and Turner or R. Bennett for the first few games. It was arguable at the end of the season that Turner was actually the more consistent of the CBs and R. Bennett gave a very good showing of himself.

It''s a blow that Bassong might not be fully fit for the first month of the season but I still think we have adequate cover. If a new CB comes in he would have to be able to slot in straight away which is never easy in a back four.

No, I don''t think we do have enough cover, most will agree that when Bassong was out last season our defence was shaky. We cannot afford that again so a quality CB is a must now

No reason at all to be worried, Martin and Bennett are both good enough. I would be worried if we had to fall back on Ayala or Barnett though, especially if it were for any considerable amount of time. We were actually very lucky that Cameroon didn''t qualify for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations. 

[quote user="The New Boy"]No reason at all to be worried, Martin and Bennett are both good enough.  [/quote]

How good is good enough?

They''ve not been first choices at centreback under Hughton nor Lambert.

If they were that good then maybe Hughton wouldn''t have needed to have spent several million last summer bringing Bassong and Turner in as first choices.