Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Brighton Vs Norwich Match Thread

I honestly think that if we ignore all the points we picked up and just concentrate on the games we lost a fair case could be made for us being relegation candidates......

[:O]

How can you be worried for next season? I don''t think I''ve ever been so optimistic about a Norwich team. You say it''s important to have a strong pre season. However I seem to remember under Gunn we went unbeaten throughout and I''m sure you remember what happened after that.

If we are struggling after 15 games then fair enough, questions will have to be asked but I can''t see that happening. Embrace the new season and remember where we''ve come from.

The TimesLondon                                                                                                                                                                                                 Blakeney PointDear sir I''m sure your readers will share my delight in my spotting of the first pantwetter of the season. There was no mistaking his distinct markings, the bright yellow underneath - and his all too familiar cry ''wehar-doomd''. I believe this little fellow has been seen much earlier than usual by the appearance of so many foreign visitors to our shores. I am certain that is our native variety and not that unwelcome intruder to these parts, the Great Blue Tit (binnus dimmus).your humble servant,Odd Billie

Back from the match. Had probably been said already but Redmond and Fer clearly our best performers, after they went off the whole game went very flat.

On the other side of the coin Whittaker and Tettey were pretty awful. Careless defensive passes seem to have been our Achilles heel this preseason, apart from that we looked pretty solid.

Form is a part of football, factually we finished 11th outstanding, but before we got to that position we went 19 games with the worst form in the league. Now its preseason, the manager has his ideas in place, which clearly don’t reflect the gung ho style that we adopted in the last two games of the season through necessity and to be honest, I’m not too sure how much of a part Houghton had to play in how we approached the last two games.

Now we are back to the same tactics that granted, gave us a 10 game unbeaten streak, but also gave us the worst form in the league for a long period of time.

As a fan/binner I don’t think it is wrong to question our current tactics and run of form.

And yes Nutty you’re right points totals do fairly reflect where a team finishes, but would you put money on a horse that went 19 races with terrible form, but won all of its races before hand? That’s simply the point I’m trying to make and my cause for concern.

"I’m not too sure how much of a part Houghton had to play in how we approached the last two games."

steady lad, you''ll resurrect old wounds here

next thing you''ll be telling us the ''ringleaders'' of this uprising are being moved out

[quote user="Bill Car"] Now its preseason, the manager has his ideas in place, which clearly don’t reflect the gung ho style that we adopted in the last two games of the season through necessity and to be honest, I’m not too sure how much of a part Houghton had to play in how we approached the last two games.

[/quote]

Well if Hughton (notice no O after the H) had no part to play in the last two games of the season, who the hell did?

You don''t seriously believe that conspiracy tosh do you?!

[quote user="City1st"]"I’m not too sure how much of a part Houghton had to play in how we approached the last two games."

steady lad, you''ll resurrect old wounds here

next thing you''ll be telling us the ''ringleaders'' of this uprising are being moved out

[/quote]

Well City 1st I’m sure your put down will win you many admirers, I’m a fan and just saying it how I see it, I hope I’m wrong and probably am.

One thing you should know, it takes more muscles to frown that it does for you to consistently act like a cock. A lesson you should heed.

what on earth are you drivellin'' on about ?read my post again ........... slowly before posting insults

We didn''t play like last season. Had the vast majority of the ball, especially before switching to 442. Sure we weren''t super attacking, but our style tonight was very much about retaining possession rather than being defensive.

[quote user="Bill Car"]I just did and my opinion hasn''t changed.[/quote]perhaps a second time might helpor even with a little prod from me

old wounds suggest their was previously a thread, one that was possible quite fractious, about this very subject - no put down there, in fact the tone and words might suggest which side I was onthe second sentence should have been seen for the heavy and clunky sarcasm that it was - again no put down eitheras to lessons I would suggest one for you - check your facts first before making claims and if you haven''t don''t thro your toys out of the pram like a child when you get it wrongthat way you might actually read posts first - including your own, before replying

So many petty people on here. Football is full of opinions, get over it. Nobody is going to be right all the time, that would be improbable. That should the beauty of football, but instead people post immature petty little counter opinions and start throwing insults, get a grip.

Personally I wouldn''t be worried our opening game at against Everton. The club have brought in 7 players and got rid of a load too. We''re not going to have the same togetherness and flow as the last two games of the previous season. It will take time, but once the team gel and tactics finally click we have the potential to be a force. That''s not to say there''s not already a good team chemistry, but lets be realistic here. We haven''t even got our finished squad yet, so lets judge 10 or 15 games into the season. I still wouldn''t be worried if we lost our opening game against Everton, our squad is too good to go down this season. That I''m confident of.

Well Bill, for what it''s worth you have my sympathy. Surely you realise anything other than Hughton is God is simply not tolerated.

We all want our club to be successful and the signings made so far have rightly caused great optimism for the coming season. For some of us perhaps we are a bit apprehensive about tactics based on last year and hopefully these fears will be allayed.

Elsewhere the points made about the last two games are interesting. Totally different approach notwithstanding the ''on the beach'' position of the opposition. In any case no doubt Holty gave Calderwood a kiss goodbye so all is well int ut :-)

[quote user="Bill Car"]Form is a part of football, factually we finished 11th outstanding, but before we got to that position we went 19 games with the worst form in the league. Now its preseason, the manager has his ideas in place, which clearly don’t reflect the gung ho style that we adopted in the last two games of the season through necessity and to be honest, I’m not too sure how much of a part Houghton had to play in how we approached the last two games. Now we are back to the same tactics that granted, gave us a 10 game unbeaten streak, but also gave us the worst form in the league for a long period of time. As a fan/binner I don’t think it is wrong to question our current tactics and run of form. And yes Nutty you’re right points totals do fairly reflect where a team finishes, but would you put money on a horse that went 19 races with terrible form, but won all of its races before hand? That’s simply the point I’m trying to make and my cause for concern.[/quote]

I don''t quite see why you''re posting that to me Billy Boy. But I would be more likely to put my money on a horse with 19 races terrible form than a horse which had won all of it''s last 19 races. But then that''s different from the likelihood of it winning because the horse that won it''s previous 19 races would be far more likely to win. But then gambling is different to horseracing and horseracing is different to football.

But you could easily make me change my mind should you offer me a decent price about the animal that had won it''s previous 19 races....

Why can''t people sometimes stick to the thread of a post rather than every thread degenerating into childish squabbles!!! This is a thread about the Brighton game, not your petty arguments.

Here are the goals from last night.

To me, it all sounded like we were told possession was the main aim of the night and we drew with a good Championship side who arguably should be at or around full match readiness. Last week it was an exercise in fitness against two American teams we lost to. Progressing well in my eyes.

If not for that ridiculous goal we most likely would have been celebrating a win last night.

[quote user="Dicky"]Why can''t people sometimes stick to the thread of a post rather than every thread degenerating into childish squabbles!!! This is a thread about the Brighton game, not your petty arguments.[/quote]

Dicky buddy..

The ironic thing is that the only post on this thread that seems to be argumentative is yours....

If Dicky wanted to speak to me he could. That''s how it works. And there''s absolutely no chance of Dicky or I trolling each other unless of course we came on as a new poster with a new account!

Well City1st I offer my humble apologies if I’ve misconstrued anything that you’ve posted, I’ll show you what I thought was directed at me if it wasn’t it’s far too cryptic for my little brain.

m sure your readers will share my delight in my spotting of the first pantwetter of the season. There was no mistaking his distinct markings, the bright yellow underneath - and his all too familiar cry ''wehar-doomd''. I believe this little fellow has been seen much earlier than usual by the appearance of so many foreign visitors to our shores. I am certain that is our native variety and not that unwelcome intruder to these parts, the Great Blue Tit (binnus dimmus).

your humble servant,

Odd Billie

I know I’m being childish, but it strike me as your pretty much talking like a superior to an inferior, while pointing out I’m a fan the “little fellow” and “odd” is the equivalent of me addressing you as “boy” that’s why I called you a cock. Anyways, I’d had a few light ales and probably just need to grow a pair, that said, I apologise.

I guessed as much hence the lack of replythe spoof letter was NOT addressed to you  - far from itthe little fellow was the bird - to keep the letter in contextnot sure about the ''odd'' bit, but the name was merely Bill Oddy reversed

as to the comments about Hughton, there was thread somewhile back where stuff about dissent within the squad lead to players deciding to play how they saw fit - as admitted by Hughtonthose that were vocal via the media included both Holt and Snodgrass, again explains my suggestion that the ''ringleaders'' were being moved on - albeit in a tongue in cheek fashionhowever I didn''t want to open that debate up again so the comment may have been easily misunderstoodanyway alls well that ends well etcregards

Well thanks for clearing that up, when your user name is Bill…. You can see where I’m coming from.

On a lighter note.

Sophie: Oh, there was a call for you. A Mr. Nesshead rang.

Alan: Right. Never heard of him. Did he leave a first name?

Sophie: No, it was just a Mr. P. Nesshead.

Alan: Sophie, that’s a crank call. That’s another crank call.

Sophie: [Smirking] Is it?

Alan: Read it back to yourself.

Sophie: Oh yeah, I can see what he’s done now. Shall I put it on the list with all the others?

Alan: If you would. Actually, can I have a look at that list? I want to get to the bottom of this. [Reading] "Mr. G. String... Mr. Nick Hers... Y. Front... Mr. T. Osser"? That doesn’t even work! "Mr. B. Oddie"? This is Bill Oddie! It’s not a prank call. Why have you put it on there?

Susan: Well, we thought it looked like "body".

Alan: What’s rude about a body?

Sophie: Tits?

Did Mackail-Smith play? Anything from him to suggest we missed out when we tried to get him lasst season?

I htink Crofts played didnt he? I thought he would be our best performer when we went up to the Prem. I was surprised he seemed to struggle and often wondered if selling him was a mistake. How did he play?