Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Surman on his way out?

SSNWe''re hearing reports that Bournemouth have agreed a deal to sign Norwich winger Andrew Surman on a season-long loan.

Done a good job for us in helping us to where we are today - a very good Championship player but unfortunately his strengths are not strong enough for what''s needed in the PL. 

Pace, strength and aggression is so important at this level and unfortunately he''s not strong in either of these areas.  Maybe, just perhaps, he could have excelled more in the Hoolahan role rather than the left of a midfield 3 - a good move for him back south, however.

Wish we would start cashing in on players ffs.

No doubt he only got a year left on contact? Ifso season long loan and will be free to leave end of season. Why not just sell now and get some funds!

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Wish we would start cashing in on players ffs.

No doubt he only got a year left on contact? Ifso season long loan and will be free to leave end of season. Why not just sell now and get some funds![/quote]Because if it all goes tits up and we end up in the Championship and we lose some prem midfielders we can bring him back I presume.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Wish we would start cashing in on players ffs.

No doubt he only got a year left on contact? Ifso season long loan and will be free to leave end of season. Why not just sell now and get some funds![/quote]
You do realize that in order for us to sell him, someone has to want to buy him?

because maybe no one wants to buy himit is not cash generators

as far as we are concerned, if this goes ahead, we get some kind of loan fee and save on his wages

ps you need to drop this fixation with transfer fees , much of which are no more than made up tosh (as was his when he joined us)

If one or two more get sold or go out to loan to championship clubs, its going to make following the championship much more interesting next season.    Bournemouth and Wigan look to be ones to watch, not just because of the Norwich connection, but because they could be the ones doing well.  

Good luck to Surman. He''s had his fair share of injuries, but at his best he is a very good and intelligent player.

When we signed him, it was a bit of a ''wow'' moment I thought, as I felt he could really improve our team. That was such a short time ago, and it is a sign of how far we have come, in such a short space of time. I cannot see him playing another minute in a City shirt, but it was good while it lasted.

A terrific player imo, always puts a full shift in for us when asked.

For anyone that has the Sky Sports app, their relentless sloppy journalism continues. The story RE: Surman clearly has a big picture of Johnson at the top. Morons.

Looks like the definite end of an erawhat odds Hoolahan ?

[quote user="City1st"]Looks like the definite end of an erawhat odds Hoolahan ?

[/quote]Backup, if we bring in an AM or SS.

Too bad always liked him, but in a era of wide attacking players and fullbacks contributing on attacks there is hard to find room for his type of wide middlefielders.

He was one of the few players we had who really shined with short pass combinations.

Great player. Good luck for him in future as I dont see him coming back!

Shame, thought he would have been a decent squad player and thought he did very well in our inaugural season back in the prem, suffered with injuries last year and never got going.

Anyone got a handle on where this leaves us with squad places? As with Barnett presumably on his way out, are we not a little light now?

I would have thought we would get some new blood in before letting more players leave, surprised Surman is out the door before Fox, thought his days were numbered.

It is a shame if he is going for it to eventually be permanent. A very, very classy player. As others have said he hasn''t got great pace, not slow, but not great. He is reasonably strong but again probably not as strong as Pilkington.

In many ways I would have liked to have seen him play a little more centrally as I think he is pretty creative. That said, I can sort of understand that we may just be a little bit too good for him now. Although Hughton did like him enough to give him a new three year deal last summer I believe. Perhaps the season long loan is to get him playing footy and see if he is up to it again. Either way he could come back as cover or leave permanently having re-established a decent value after two seasons blighted with niggly injuries.

As for our Squad:

GK: Ruddy, Bunn, Nash (3)

RB: Martin, Whittaker (2)

LB: Garrido, Olsson (2)

CB: Bassong, Turner, R.Bennett, Ayala (4)

RM: Snodgrass, E.Bennett (2)

LM: Pilkington, Redmond (1 - Redmond under 21)

CM: Fer, Johnson, Tettey, Howson, Fox (5)

AM: Butterfield, Hoolahan (2)

STR: RVW, Hooper, Becchio (3)

Barnett and Surman seemingly on the way out.

Total: 24

If we sign another CB then I think Ayala will be loaned out or sold. He still has very little football behind him although he is only 22.

If we sign another AM then I can see Fox going, if not Butterfield as well, although maybe on another loan.

Another striker is needed as well if you ask me.

Very surprised. He''s a very good squad player to have, and a proven performer at this level. If we lose him from the squad who comes in to make up the numbers? Very strange.

think he has struggled for fitness and the new signing have shown how much quality is needed to even make the squad.

A great signing for bournemouth - good luck surman

I have no doubt we will be losing a few more yet.

Very classy player, never really got the opportunity to succeed in the Premier League with us due to injuries. Too good to be playing in the reserves for us. Will do very well for Bournemouth. I have a slight soft spot for the Cherries (don''t know why!!) so really hoping they do well next year, good luck surman!

I genuinely rate Surman, never let us down. But this is again an example of just how far the club has come in a short space of time when we can release a player of Surman''s quality. Bournemouth will be well pleased, he should really stand out for them........