Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Video technology in football

"]LOL  I wonder which club will be the first to fall foul of a controversial decision by hawk eye."

Liverpool, please let it be Liverpool.

Can you imagine the scouse conspiracy theorists'' whining?!

The technology seems to be working well enough, the interpretation perhaps not so much but the brief in cricket is only to overturn a decision if the umpires decision was clearly wrong. This mornings decision I suspect was not overturned because the 3rd umpire could see why the on field umpire gave it out. I personally think a review should be a second opinion unrelated to the on field decision. More like tennis.

Football is not being done the same way as cricket and I have t seen many issues at all with the hawkeye side of things.

Whilst I know Purple Canary is being a tad facetious in his question, goal line technology should be okay, it is a pretty black and white decision.

Going beyond that (penalty decisions, offsides etc) shouldn''t happen due to it being a judgement call - and no matter how many video replays you can see from different angles, it will always be one persons judgement against another.

[quote user="QHcanary"]"]LOL  I wonder which club will be the first to fall foul of a controversial decision by hawk eye."

Liverpool, please let it be Liverpool.

Can you imagine the scouse conspiracy theorists'' whining?![/quote]

Hahaha- oh yeah actually. Liverpool (or Everton on the opening day?)

One day I would like to see the ref able to see video replays of contentious calls like penalties, red cards and offside goals. When it can be viewed without leaving the pitch and very quickly -but not a separate ref.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Whilst I know Purple Canary is being a tad facetious in his question, goal line technology should be okay, it is a pretty black and white decision.

Going beyond that (penalty decisions, offsides etc) shouldn''t happen due to it being a judgement call - and no matter how many video replays you can see from different angles, it will always be one persons judgement against another.

[/quote]

Ah but, Bethnal! That was what they said with cricket at the outset. That video technology should only be used for what are called line decisions - run-outs and stumpings. But they started using it there was an inescapable logic about extending it to other areas - catches and LBWs and no-balls. To an extent they are also  questions of fact rather than opinion, but it is still a case of technology overruling the official''s decision. I suspect that once technology comes into football it won''t stop at the goal-line.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Ah but, Bethnal! That was what they said with cricket at the outset. That video technology should only be used for what are called line decisions - run-outs and stumpings. But they started using it there was an inescapable logic about extending it to other areas - catches and LBWs and no-balls. To an extent they are also  questions of fact rather than opinion, but it is still a case of technology overruling the official''s decision. I suspect that once technology comes into football it won''t stop at the goal-line.

[/quote]
IMO it''s a good bet technology be used in some other manner later.  I''ve lost count the number of times I heard how much money is at stake in the PL.  Next they''ll be calls for refs to be assisted by technology for penalty decisions and similar game changing decisions.

To be fair it''s new in Cricket. They''re bound to have teething problems.

A better comparison would be American football where they get it right 95% of the time.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]One day I would like to see the ref able to see video replays of contentious calls like penalties, red cards and offside goals. When it can be viewed without leaving the pitch and very quickly -but not a separate ref.[/quote]and so would every sponsor, adman and other assorted hangers on - anything to break the game up and dissolve it into a series of stop start eventstechnology is bo llox as far as football is concernedmuch is subjective ie how the ref sees it, it is his decision (I''ve yet to see a ref make a call, judgement or not) and that should be finaltry looking at the amount of time spent chewing over these decisions afterwards, and try counting how many times there is not agreement even thenthe sad thing is the terminally dim have never explained how and when this buffoonery should be implemented ..... after each decision ? when a player appeals ? when it next goes out of play ?and what happens if the ref gets it ''wrong'' after the that ?the game works - money has too much of a grasp on it as it isleave it alone

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]One day I would like to see the ref able to see video replays of contentious calls like penalties, red cards and offside goals. When it can be viewed without leaving the pitch and very quickly -but not a separate ref.[/quote]Impossible, the game doesn''t have natural pauses.

I''ve been watching cricket for many years and this review system has never had this many problems before. But neither have I ever seen umpires make so many terrible decisions before in a series!

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="Yellow Shirt"]One day I would like to see the ref able to see video replays of contentious calls like penalties, red cards and offside goals. When it can be viewed without leaving the pitch and very quickly -but not a separate ref.[/quote]Impossible, the game doesn''t have natural pauses. [/quote]I don''t think that is completely true- the refs often stop to consult the linesman, we are talking about those same times- it''s an extra 20 seconds when the game is already waiting for 30-45s or so.I would like to see the ref able to check that what he thinks he saw he did see... not to stop the game and say should I give a penalty at every appeal but when he blows his whistle to be able to look and check that he hasn''t been conned. There is a natural break already when a goal is scored and there is a natural break when a card is about to be given. No problem to check for an offside or a different angle on a foul (or something that happened behind his back where a lino flagged it)

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="Yellow Shirt"]One day I would like to see the ref able to see video replays of contentious calls like penalties, red cards and offside goals. When it can be viewed without leaving the pitch and very quickly -but not a separate ref.[/quote]Impossible, the game doesn''t have natural pauses. [/quote]I don''t think that is completely true- the refs often stop to consult the linesman, we are talking about those same times- it''s an extra 20 seconds when the game is already waiting for 30-45s or so.I would like to see the ref able to check that what he thinks he saw he did see... not to stop the game and say should I give a penalty at every appeal but when he blows his whistle to be able to look and check that he hasn''t been conned. There is a natural break already when a goal is scored and there is a natural break when a card is about to be given. No problem to check for an offside or a different angle on a foul (or something that happened behind his back where a lino flagged it) [/quote]
IMO I''d rather get on with the game.  And the FA/PL whatever, stamp out cheating the ref, by handing tough punishments.  After a couple have been seen to given lengthy suspensions.  Other players will think twice about blatant cheating.  (in theory anyway)

It doesn''t happen though- and the politics and comity mindedness of those panels make it nigh on impossible to action. If the ref is then shown to have made a mistake by a panel it undermines his authority, that''s why they are almost always backed and defended.A lot of top flight refs seem to like to be seen as personalities so I say give them the tools to review themselves and make them sit at a press conf after the game, justify decisions and have their say.It''s a rough idea full of problems but I would like to see a system worked out that might help the refs get respect (through accountability) and the game be played more honestly.