Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Fantastic Mr Fox

The Great David Fox debate.Should we keep him / play him next seasonOr has his time at Norwich come to an end.Personally I''ve never been one of these Fox Mega fans. Yes he can pick a pass out and yes he''s committed to the team but I do feel he''s often over rated.He has however impressed me a lot in Pre - Season and I have a feeling he will be part (if not a major part) of Hughton''s plans.

I have a feeling he has had so many minutes in pre-season due to him being in the shop window so to speak, and I would be surprised if he is in CH''s plans.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I have a feeling he has had so many minutes in pre-season due to him being in the shop window so to speak, and I would be surprised if he is in CH''s plans.[/quote]This had literally not even crossed my mind. Yet it does make some sense indeed.

In my opinion he''s not good enough. Championship is his level. The Premiership is all about pace and power nowadays and it''s vital we have that in midfield. We conceded loads of goals to opposition midfielders breaking away from our sluggish midfield last season. Hopefully Fer will make the difference there.

I think the question we need to ask is whether we would rather keep him rather than bring in a quality SS, AM or ACM for the final position available. For me, it''s bring in another player.

I don''t think there''s really room for him i''m afraid. Good player, but he''ll have stagnated a bit sat around last year and with Fer, Howson, Tettey, Johnson all in front of him, it''s tough to see a way back for him.

If he is part of Hughton''s plans, then he''s a very very odd manager.

Why not play someone at all on the league, and only a couple times in the cup, only to keep him and make him part of your plans next season after buying a much much better player in his position?

Unless we sold 2 or 3 of Howspn, Johnson, Surman and Tettey no reason for Fox to stay, surprised he hasn''t gone already.

No future at the club.

Good passer, but can''t tackle or head, has no pace and doesn''t chip in with goals.

Bradley and Tettey were already ahead of him last year, and Fer will be light years ahead.

I like him, and I think he is rarely overrated.

He reminds me of Crook to a certain extent, his range of passing is very good. However, he appears to prefer a deeper lying role - the problem with that is that you really do have to be able to screen the defence, help cover the full backs when they push on etc.

His lack of strength and pace work against him in this respect. I''m sure he''ll go to a very good championship side. Another victim of our success unfortunately.

I like Fox. But he was very much part of our former manager''s thinking. Even back then he was eventually usurped by Howson.

Hard to see why Fox had his contract extended. Other than Hughton didn''t want to spend any time/money finding a squad player for cup games. Surely it''s time for both parties to move on.

I do like fox, but thought he was poor in the last game except for a quality free kick early on that wolfy headed wide.

It depends whether he is happy to be a bit part player really. Useful to keep.

He''s a one trick player! He is probably the best at the club for accuracy in long distance passing, and on the odd occasion the recipient is able to make something happen from the pass.

The problem is that he has few other tricks - not very robust in tackling, not quick or accurate enough in short-passing, seldom scores from long range.

I think that he probably stood out well when we were in Division 1 and even in the Championship, but in the Premiership he needs to offer a bit more.

Was just watching our promotion to the premiership. Given we now have 2 strikes who are experts off the ball, could Fox be the man to supply some of the great long range assists from deep? the pass vs ppompeyfor the promotion goal was immense! Up there with the famous ronaldinho assist at Barca a few years back, or even lansbury to Holt vs Ipswich. I know he may not be the most physical player, but ofc the bench he''d be invaluable. He is my nomination for 25th man ahead of Shennan and co now

I''m a fan, but clearly will rarely play here, so I would prefer him to go somewhere where he can play regularly and be appreciated. Sorry to see him go but don''t want him rotting on the bench, too good for that

Jimmy Smith wrote - "Was just watching our promotion to the premiership. Given we now have 2 strikes who are experts off the ball, could Fox be the man to supply some of the great long range assists from deep? "

Although I don''t think Fox has enough of an all-round skillset I was thinking about this yesterday. A lot of Hooper''s goals come from an accurate ball over the top. His skill is losing the defender(s), being in the right place to receive it, bring it down and finish. Fox would seem to be the best player at the Club to furnish those type of balls. As it is, it looks like Hooper will have to get used to running on to zipped balls on the ground.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Jimmy Smith wrote - "Was just watching our promotion to the premiership. Given we now have 2 strikes who are experts off the ball, could Fox be the man to supply some of the great long range assists from deep? "

Although I don''t think Fox has enough of an all-round skillset I was thinking about this yesterday. A lot of Hooper''s goals come from an accurate ball over the top. His skill is losing the defender(s), being in the right place to receive it, bring it down and finish. Fox would seem to be the best player at the Club to furnish those type of balls. As it is, it looks like Hooper will have to get used to running on to zipped balls on the ground.[/quote]Snodgrass and Hooper are going to get along very well I reckon.A lot of Snodgrass crosses. HOOPER HEADERS GOALLLLLLon MOTD this season.

It seems strange that Hughton gave him a two year contract, then left him to rot all season.

Few possibilities for this it would seem.

1. Hughton just agreed to extend his contract as he didnt want to lose a player for free he didnt know much about (ie contract in latter stages when Hughton walked through the door), but subsequently decided he was carp.

2. Hughton fell out with him for some reason and he''s been frozen out liek Roeder and Lappin (doesnt seem likely)

3. Hughton DOES rate him, but felt his defensive qualities weren''t up to scratch for him to play a role last season, but intends to use him this season (seems odd).

4. Fox just found himself kept out of the squad, a victim of the form of others (again unlikely as none of the midfielders really shone last season - though BJ played to the best of his position)

5. He thought he could get a fee for Fox

6. Wanted to keep the English component up (not really necessary given our squad make-up)

7. Recognised he was a good squad player and Lappin-esque in his character of not kicking up a fuss

None of these explanations seem to explain the Fox situation though. His use does suggest he might feature this season, but rememeber Nash has also played pre-season, and Vaughan was heavily used last pre-season then subsequently shipped out. Shop window does seem a possibilty.

It does seem strange Hughton would dismiss a player so completely that had finished 3rd in the player of the season awards on his arrival at the club. Fox just doesnt seem to be the type to clash with Hughton, who is also reknowned as being Mr Nice, so it seems inconceivable it is a personal thing. So so odd.

Just remember Fox looking completely shocked when he was told to come on as a sub when one of our CMs got injured last season. That to me suggests he feels he isnt rated by Hughton.

Let''s be ''aving you! wrote --- Good passer, but can''t tackle or head, has no pace and doesn''t chip in with goals. Bradley and Tettey were already ahead of him last year, and Fer will be light years ahead.

Don''t forget Jonny Howson, who was awful for most of last season and was in ahead of him as well.

Not in Chris Hughton''s plans so for his own sake I hope he finds a new club.

Let us remember that most of last season we played a system because we had little choice. I do not expect us to be playing the same system all season this term. Having said that we need variation in our squad players, it''s no good having players who all do the same job.

Although I am not a Fox lover, as I feel if he was as good as many posters on here think, he would have had a queue of managers waiting to sign him; he does offer something different and as such, until, and if, a better player is signed, perhaps he has a place in the squad.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Is it just me imagining it or is Fox getting a lot of game time this pre-season?[/quote]Was a debate the other day... is this due to him being in the "shop window" or are we getting him ready for next season

I really rate him, in our first prem season he was the

outstanding midfielder - great passing, assists, crossing and dead ball ability, and I think won more or at least as many tackles per as any midfielder with a great win ratio in the games he appeared - so he was hardly out of his depth in the prem. Injury pre season scuppered him as did only appearing last season in the middle of the club worst spell.

But if teh manager does not have time for him he has less of a future at the club than Andrew Surman - cant see him being here come the end of August. Current pitch time purely during other prefered players injuries and shop windowing imo