Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Swansea City The Fall and Rise

It is a special club, in eight or nine years they went from staying up on the last day in League Two to the Premier League and they still have players who played on that day - Leon Brittain and Alan Tate.

I was at the game back in 1982 and they had Bob Latchford at centre forward who gave us a right mauling in their 4-0 win.

Swansea are fashionable because they''re a modern football success story from the bowels of the football league rising inexorably to the top half of the Prem. All this with an enjoyable brand of football and an internationally respected manager.

That''s why they get a documentary.

Yes our three year rise was meteoric but in terms of NCFC as a club, where we are now is only a slight overachievement on where we probably should be- albeit a slight overachievement that does cost millions of pounds to achieve- and fair play to the Board for releasing those millions to our managers.

I was there too i remember a load of us doing the conga  in the stand while being thrashed. Then we had a sandwich fight on the bus on the way home that didn''t go down to well with the bus company  but then we were just stupid teenagers then great times.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]This is a Norwich City messageboard.

Thanks. xxxx[/quote]

Tilly junior...

And yes, this is related to NCFC. Even if the documentary is about another club. I could lost the links if you like, most are blindly obvious though.

As to why Swansea get a documentary and we don''t, they are the first Welsh team in the PL, the first Welsh team to win the League Cup I think. Have become a firm favourite with the ''neutral'' even in first PL season when we were just as attacking (supposedly) and finished below them by a few goals conceded essentially.

Good too see football documentaries being made, always nice to get to know a bit more behind the scenes, without having to resort to reading rumours etc...

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]QPR had one the other month too. When''s our story getting told ![/quote]What do you mean we got a movie !!Alpha Papa AH HA !!

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Swansea are fashionable because they''re a modern football success story from the bowels of the football league rising inexorably to the top half of the Prem. All this with an enjoyable brand of football and an internationally respected manager.

That''s why they get a documentary.[/quote]

Another newsworthy factor is that the club was in part saved from financial ruin by the fans, who own 20 per cent, and have a supporter-director.

Sure they have done brilliantly no doubt.....BUT, should they really be in The ENGLISH Premier League, should Cardiff City? If so, then let''s get some Scottish clubs in as soon as possible for the sake of fairness......just saying... 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Sure they have done brilliantly no doubt.....BUT, should they really be in The ENGLISH Premier League, should Cardiff City? If so, then let''s get some Scottish clubs in as soon as possible for the sake of fairness......just saying... [/quote]

Yes they should, as there was no Welsh professional league for them to join back in the early part of the 20th century. Swansea, Cardiff, Newport & Merthyr Tydfil, along with our very own Norwich were all founding members of the third division, although Cardiff went into the second division. It is hardly fair to kick them out after almost 100 years to play in the Welsh Premier League, which is probably worse standard then the English Conference.

[quote user="mre2"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]Sure they have done brilliantly no doubt.....BUT, should they really be in The ENGLISH Premier League, should Cardiff City? If so, then let''s get some Scottish clubs in as soon as possible for the sake of fairness......just saying... [/quote] Yes they should, as there was no Welsh professional league for them to join back in the early part of the 20th century. Swansea, Cardiff, Newport & Merthyr Tydfil, along with our very own Norwich were all founding members of the third division, although Cardiff went into the second division. It is hardly fair to kick them out after almost 100 years to play in the Welsh Premier League, which is probably worse standard then the English Conference.[/quote]

Yes but there is a Welsh League now and I believe that both Swansea and Cardiff are under the control of the Welsh FA too, so let''s hope that they can be invited into the Welsh league.

Not that I have a problem with Swansea or Cardiff but Wales has it''s own National side and League and as such there really is no arguement in these clubs not going into this league, but money!

Does any other league have clubs from other countries allowed to play in them?

@indy it would be like another SPL it just wouldn''t work at all. Who cares anyway. Good well run club like ourselves they made a better job of hiring their replacement of Rodgers than we did with Lambert simply by finding a greater amount of continuity.

[quote user="Indy"]

[quote user="mre2"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]Sure they have done brilliantly no doubt.....BUT, should they really be in The ENGLISH Premier League, should Cardiff City? If so, then let''s get some Scottish clubs in as soon as possible for the sake of fairness......just saying... [/quote] Yes they should, as there was no Welsh professional league for them to join back in the early part of the 20th century. Swansea, Cardiff, Newport & Merthyr Tydfil, along with our very own Norwich were all founding members of the third division, although Cardiff went into the second division. It is hardly fair to kick them out after almost 100 years to play in the Welsh Premier League, which is probably worse standard then the English Conference.[/quote]

Yes but there is a Welsh League now and I believe that both Swansea and Cardiff are under the control of the Welsh FA too, so let''s hope that they can be invited into the Welsh league.

Not that I have a problem with Swansea or Cardiff but Wales has it''s own National side and League and as such there really is no arguement in these clubs not going into this league, but money!

Does any other league have clubs from other countries allowed to play in them?

[/quote]
I think that Cardiff/Swansea (and all Welsh clubs still in the English football league) are now under control by the English FA. I believe this was changed when Swansea got promoted to the premier league. The main argument for the Welsh clubs continued inclusion in the English league is historical. Several Welsh clubs were founding members of the old 3rd division and many have been in the league longer than some English clubs. And I believe that the Scottish leagues also have several clubs based from England as well, so there is definite precedent for this kind of thing. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Another newsworthy factor is that the club was in part saved from financial ruin by the fans, who own 20 per cent, and have a supporter-director.

[/quote]

The current Chairman and Vice Chairman both came from the supporters who saved the club and at the time neither of them had any experience whatsoever about running a football club.

Most of the Welsh teams didn''t want to move to the welsh Prem, in fact most were forced to. Swansea and Cardiff were both invited but declined. To be perfectly honest we live in the UK, there a British club so why can''t they play in the Premier league?

I was just being a little mischeavious to be honest and actually have no problem with either Swansea or Cardiff, other than Cardiff changing their shirt colour.....regardless of what the reasons were, that was crazy.