Sign in to follow this  
nu_matik

Observations from the bench...Brighton game.

Hello all,

Taken a while for me to get round to it, but thought i''d offer up my experience of sitting behind the Norwich bench at The Amex. I sat with other guests of match officials (I was a guest of the Linesman on the other side), and got to meet a few of the players but most importantly have a good chat with Chris Hughton while the lads were training. I congratulated him on keeping us up last season, and more so for the signings of our attacking players this season. When I asked him ''''are we going to see any more big names come in, he replied ''''It''s all about getting the guys we have to gel as a unit and integrate and when the new guys come in it''s the same for them and that''s why all these games are so important''''. Quite interesting as it seemed to me that it was a yes.

As for the other guys, I had a mixed experience... I went over to the bench area to get a few autographs and Becchio, Ayala, Nash Butterfield and Hooper were very happy to sign and have a few words and a handshake but when I asked RVW, he blanked me and walked off! oh well!

During the game I noticed the Hughton was mainly communicating with Redmond and Howson, telling Redmond repeatedly ''''not to get sucked in'''' and then Howson over and over ''''Remember we''re going from the back John, keep with it, youre doing great''''. Aside from positive reinforcement, the one thing that really stuck out was Hughton and Paul Trollope''s constant frustration and to a point anger at both Javier Garrido and Ryan Bennett. Every time Garrido lost the ball he was effing and blinding and on a few occasions when he was beaten as they attacked the area he audibly said '''' He''s stood there like an effing stuffed doll AGAIN''''. When Garrido was substituted, he also went almost straight down the tunnel without speaking to the others too much...whereas all the other players were hi-fiving and getting on very well...it just seemed very strange.

Anyway, waffle over, I thought it was a decent run out and I must say that the Brighton hospitality, even just for press and media was great and met some lovely staff members, including the president who made sure we were all very well looked after.

Thanks for this!

Re: Garrido.

From my experience playing football, when you have a poor game the emotions can get the better of you and put you in a poor mood. The squad realises this aswell probably. Better to be left alone hence why he probably stormed off. Especially when the manager has been on and on at you!

Wouldn''t read too much into that!

[quote user="nu_matik"] Every time Garrido lost the ball he was effing and blinding and on a few occasions when he was beaten as they attacked the area he audibly said '''' He''s stood there like an effing stuffed doll AGAIN''''.[/quote]

Maybe Garrido was happier knowing the position was his last season and isn''t someone who is going to thrive under the pressure of having someone fighting him for his place...

I honestly think Olsson will make that position his own once fit and given some game time. I do like Garrido, but think he gets beat to easily (and it appears so does Hoots).

Left side of the pitch will be Olsson and Redmond by Jan I think, with Pilks and Garrido relegated to the bench.

Thanks for the info. Some really interesting stuff there. Must admit, it''s encouraging to hear Hughton telling his players to keep the ball and attempt to build out from the back. We definitely need to improve on our ability with the ball from last year and try to get over 50% possession in some games, so it''s good to hear Hughton focusing on that aspect of our play.

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting look in to the dynamic of a working and evolving team.

Its an important thing for a team to be unafraid of airing frustrations and criticism WITHOUT it boiling over in to something detrimental. Fellow players need to voice their opinion angrily when someone isn''t doing their job properly (can you imagine if John Ruddy DIDN''T rant at a bad back pass or poor marking that puts his goal in danger?). As a leader, Hughton MUST say these things. And Garrido and Ryan Bennett played badly on Tuesday - far below the standards they have set themselves.

In this situation, things are said and anger is vented. Then it blows over and everybody gets on again. That is how a healthy team works.

As for RVW blanking you: sorry about that. Maybe you caught him at the wrong moment? Maybe he''s the sort who needs to be in the ''zone'' when he''s on the pitch, even when training, but is a lot friendlier off it? We don''t know yet.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Thank you for posting this. Very interesting look in to the dynamic of a working and evolving team.

Its an important thing for a team to be unafraid of airing frustrations and criticism WITHOUT it boiling over in to something detrimental. Fellow players need to voice their opinion angrily when someone isn''t doing their job properly (can you imagine if John Ruddy DIDN''T rant at a bad back pass or poor marking that puts his goal in danger?). As a leader, Hughton MUST say these things. And Garrido and Ryan Bennett played badly on Tuesday - far below the standards they have set themselves.

In this situation, things are said and anger is vented. Then it blows over and everybody gets on again. That is how a healthy team works.

As for RVW blanking you: sorry about that. Maybe you caught him at the wrong moment? Maybe he''s the sort who needs to be in the ''zone'' when he''s on the pitch, even when training, but is a lot friendlier off it? We don''t know yet.[/quote]Dutch people have a reputation for being egotistical and arrogant. I''m sure there will be some exceptions but in football there is a long list of problems    of clashes over the years within their international squad. There''s no excuse for blanking fans IMO. Not a good sign !!!

Yup because he''s done nothing to endear himself to fans so far has he.... tool. I''m going to call it right now and state that you''re not a real person Paul, you''re a character dreamt up by some loner.

.. and I''m going to call you as you are Alan. a sad loner troll who will try to argue with anyone with an opinion that could be true.

Should have put ''abuse'' also, as trolls will always abuse posters. Sometimes I just have to abuse back and not let the buggers get away with it !!!!

"Dutch people have a reputation for being egotistical and arrogant"

"an opinion that could be true"

It''s a racist opinion, that''s what it is. What are your preconceptions on the races of our other players Paul?

Should have kept Cody.

MORON.

That''s not racist , NRU. It''s my experience and others. Read up on the

International side for instance as they''ve had constant ego problems. My

friends have just recently won a court case against a Dutchman who was

illegally on their land. He refused to go even after a court eviction

order and also refused to pay compensation whereby he could have stayed.

He even got somebody to threaten my mates with physical injury. That is

arrogant IMO. I''m talking from experience so respect my opinion based

on my experience please. ..and constantly bringing up Cody to reinforce poor argument is bullying and pathetic.

I''m sorry Paul but what you just said was offensive.

If I said black people had a reputation for being drug dealers, what would you think?

[quote user="Bws Cat "]I''m sorry Paul but what you just said was offensive.

If I said black people had a reputation for being drug dealers, what would you think?[/quote]The British have a reputation for being lager louts abroad. Offensive, but unfortunately there is much evidence to back this up. The Germans have a reputation fro putting towels on sun-beds and commandering the best positions around swimming pools abroad, maybe offensive but based on evidence to be true. Stating truth can be offensive, I agree.

Well this thread hot silly very quickly. I stopped reading the OP when he put the word yes in hughton''s mouth.

[quote user="Bws Cat "]Got a source for any of your ''evidence'' Mr Moy?[/quote]Yes my memory of World Cups and certain ''stars'' in The Dutch national side at eachothers throats, refusing to pass to eachother etc and refusing to accept certain manager''s authority over the past 10-15 years or so.  I''m sure some others on this BB may remember it, and it has also been quoted as a reason for lack of their international ''success'' in recent years. 

As far as I''m concerned, the Dutch are a tolerant and liberal group of people, as evidenced (see what I did there?) by their laws on drug use and prostitution - so who''s right?

Come on guys play the white man... (before anyone gets upset Im referencing the racial storyline on Coronation Street for those who dont watch it)

Paul what you said was a bit of a generalisation but I know why you said it, the Dutch teams of the late 90''s (which were far superior to the French team that won the world cup and the Euros in terms of ability) were legendary for in-fighting and clashes of superstar egos. On purely a football level its obvious why you said that without needing to turn it into a competition to see who can be the least racist by shouting ''racist!''

I also think you are bullied on this forum Paul, you are entitled to your opinion as much as everybody else on this forum. Though some seem to think that if you shout loudest your voice carries more weight

Well... nice one for the first few comments... but where do the rest of you get off with your crap? Dont you have a playground to go fight on?

Sorry nu_matik. I have helped to take this thread off-topic and for that I apologise. Wanted to say thank you for posting your insight - that was a very interesting read. Would be interesting to know if in th next match Hughtons behaviour is different or consistent (ie just products of that particular game or revealing of his long term opinions of players)

Perhaps we could start a ''Hughton Watch'' thread...

[quote user="nu_matik"]Well... nice one for the first few comments... but where do the rest of you get off with your crap? Dont you have a playground to go fight on?[/quote]

Id actually decided to post an apology before I saw your post - just took me too long to type it! As above, Im sorry to have contributed to the hijacking of this thread. i really enjoyed your insightful post and thank you for sharing it

OP - thanks for posting. Interesting to hear Hughtons focus on Howson during the game. I like Howson a lot and I did fear that he would be the man to make way for Fer, however I hope Hughtons focus on getting JH to perform a specific role means he will be a regular still.

From what I have seen of RvW he seems an extremely likeable, friendly guy (RE: the tweets of people that have met him around the City). No doubt he had his ''game hat'' on the other night.