Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Sky Sports: Barnett sold to Wigan

Being reported o their news feed. With him and Surman leaving surely we can expect some new faces in very soon.

Thanks for everything Barnett you were a big part of getting us to where we are now.

Good move for him and Wigan.

Always seemed to give it his best for us.

A decent signing for Wigan. He''s a solid Championship defender. Holt should enjoy those raking long balls over his head ;^)Ups the demand for another centre back over here though.

Exactly that Pyro Pete, we must now be focusing on a new CB as well as an attacking midfielder/ hole striker. I would suspect Vydra/Quag/Lopez/Toivanen with Toby/Kouyate being potential signings if reports are to be believed. Knowing our history of signings, it will be none of these mentioned!

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]A decent signing for Wigan. He''s a solid Championship defender. Holt should enjoy those raking long balls over his head ;^)

Ups the demand for another centre back over here though.
[/quote]

I wouldn''t be suite so sure as to the urgency of this?....I wouldn''t be surprised if Russell Martin is being lined up a centre half?

Thank you Leon and good luck.

Turner, Bennett, Martin, Bassong and Ayala all still at the club. There''s really no more or less urgency to sign another CB than there already was.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]A decent signing for Wigan. He''s a solid Championship defender. Holt should enjoy those raking long balls over his head ;^)Ups the demand for another centre back over here though.[/quote]

I wouldn''t be suite so sure as to the urgency of this?....I wouldn''t be surprised if Russell Martin is being lined up a centre half?

[/quote]Sure. Martin has never let us down when he''s been asked to fill in at centre back, and like you I think he could be considered there as his first choice of position. But judging by comments Hughton made at the Man City game at the end of the season when Martin had to play there, along the lines of "you hope you get away with it", I got the impression Hughton doesn''t yet see him as a main choice centre back. I could be wrong, of course. As others mention, Ayala might be given a chance, as might Bennett. I still think (or hope) a quality new addition is more likely.

All the best Leon, I thought you brilliant at heading the ball everywhere apart from the net from attacking corners

[quote user="Pyro Pete"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]A decent signing for Wigan. He''s a solid Championship defender. Holt should enjoy those raking long balls over his head ;^)

Ups the demand for another centre back over here though.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sure. Martin has never let us down when he''s been asked to fill in at centre back, and like you I think he could be considered there as his first choice of position. But judging by comments Hughton made at the Man City game at the end of the season when Martin had to play there, along the lines of "you hope you get away with it", I got the impression Hughton doesn''t yet see him as a main choice centre back. I could be wrong, of course.

As others mention, Ayala might be given a chance, as might Bennett. I still think (or hope) a quality new addition is more likely.
[/quote]

if anyone saw Martin''s mom performance for Scotland away at Croatia when playing at centre half, where he nulified Mandzukic , would think that he should be playing there all the time.....and has played in every pre season friendly there so far aswell, often ahead of both Bennett and Ayala

We have four quality centre backs, and Ayala. We don''t need another one. Of course if there was a top level international class CB at the right price then of course, get him in. But we''re well covered at the moment and Martin is quality.

Oh and I''d like to add good luck to Barnett, he was quality for us but never quite made the step up. Thanks for making a positive impact pal.

Never liked Wigan for numerous reasons:

1, Beat us in FA cup in ''87 (was there)

2, Poor support at home

3, Working in Wigan - a, Corrado VR6 as company car for a week being broken into (near stadium) in hotel grounds, b, next day working at a factory managers desk and finding his freshly cut set of toe & finger nail clippings on his desk next to bottle of diet coke. Fat pie man and I''m mentally scared for life.

4, It''s grim!

5, Previous managers (Bruce an exception) but at least a reasonable non moaning one wanting to do a job (and from his building of, far better than the one disposed of)

But

Now have two reasons to follow with a, Holt & Barnett and b, Teams they are playing next season (1p5wich and Leeds, along with QPR).

Good luck to them and hope they walk it.

[quote user="Jonzey"]We have four quality centre backs, and Ayala. We don''t need another one.  [/quote]

We have two quality centre backs and if one of them was ruled out for the season or something then we would definitely need another.