Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Pre-season

Although most of us think that results are fairly irrelevant in pre-season, I have a question.How do players impress their manager?They are all competing for a place in the first team, so surely they need to impress the manager.   In that case you would think they would go all out to show the manager how well they are playing, how fit they are, how ready they are for a first team spot.We hear phrases like - its just a run out for fitness.  But its surely more than that, isn''t it, especially for the fringe players?  Surely they have to give 100% pre-season to get into the manager''s thinking - more than just an exercise.

I agree results are not important in preseason, but I think a lot of posters on this board see them as nothing other than a run around, and I disagree there. You can do that at the park or at the training ground. Just play a Norwich XI vs the first team 6 times.

As you''ve said LDC, players should be looking to impress. Its a time for Hughton to tinker with tactics and formations and learn his new players strengths/weaknesses. Yes gaining fitness is important, but so is gelling with your new team mates and that can only really come from pitch time.

What the point is of having a friendly where you play your youth team is I don''t know, as far as I''m concerned the Cambridge game was a waste of time for the first team. So a couple of first teamers got 45-60 minutes on the pitch, playing with players that won''t see the first team in years, if ever in most cases. What has been gained?

And again i know a lot of people aren''t worried by our lack of goals, and one poster even said they wouldn''t be worried if we lost all out friendlies 10-0 (Hell I''d be quaking), but if all was to be gained from these matches was fitness, then whats the point in finding such a range of opponents in their different styles of play and approach to a game.

Its all about being ready for the news season, and that means a lot more than just being fit.

Hey all, new poster here. Used to post a little but forgotten details etc. Anyway I think people are getting a little carried away with the not so impressive nature of our friendlies so far. I think both sides of the argument, players needing to impress and its just for fitness are valid. However I think you can look at our friendlies this season in 2 halves. The USA tour and Brighton/Cambridge have all been about introducing new players, giving everyone some game time and getting fitness up. Some players have been played out of position just to get minutes and we certainly have not yet fielded anything close to our strongest team.

Next up we have the 3 big friendlies, Braga away tomorrow and then Sociedad and Panathanaikos at home. These are the games Chris will be looking to start gelling the first team and making less changes etc. These are the games where we will get a better idea of tactics and players abilities, but they are still friendlies so we cannot be 100% sure what we see will be what we take into the season.

So in summary, forget the previous friendlies, they are all about fitness, integration and general relationship building for the players after the summer break. Now the real tactical prep starts, lets look forward to seeing what we can really do!

In fairness the first few games are always about getting the players up to speed, new players fitting in and developing the systems.

The next three friendlies are all about getting the right line up which will probably start the season and gaining that match sharpness. There will be some minor changes in formation and subs during the game but if we struggle in the next three games then I will be slightly concerned going into the first game of the seaosn.

Players can impress the manager all through the season in trainning and attitude, but when they get their chance they have to take it, as we have some very good players here now.

I think it''s a case of horses for courses. Of those most likely to make the match day squad CH has probably told them to take it easy, those on the fringes will be trying to impress and some are just there for "the future"

Our new poster has it spot on as far as I am concerned, welcome back.

I wont be getting worked up much even if we dont win any of our remaining, clearly more serious friendlies, well not much anyway.

Ask a Norwich fan and it will be '' of little importance.....just about getting as many players on the pitch for game time......scoring goals irrelevant......results irrelevant.....everything will be fine once the season starts.....''.

Ask a Swansea fan and it will be '' very important......sets the tone for the start of the season....winning becomes a habit......28 goals and just 1 conceded in seven matches reminds the squad just what they''re capable of..........''.

.....might even set the team up for an impressive 4-0 victory in the first competitive match of the season....

unique appears every now and then. Posts a ridiculous / Rubbish post which normally slates the club.... then disappearsMake of that as you will.

If i''m honest I am really in two minds about pre-season games and it''s relevance. Part of me knows that it''s not competitive and new systems are being tried out so results are not the priority. There is a part of me though that wishes we could have banged in a few goals (especially from the new strikers). We didn''t score many in pre-season last year which carried on throughout the season. Alarm bells aren''t ringing or anything but i''m a little concerned.

Well, surely players have to be careful not to question decisions or show frustration and irritation with the officials or the opposition, because that shows they''re not focused on their game and will lead to the manager dropping them from the starting line-up due to under-performance.Hmmm.Or will it....?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Well, surely players have to be careful not to question decisions or show frustration and irritation with the officials or the opposition, because that shows they''re not focused on their game and will lead to the manager dropping them from the starting line-up due to under-performance.Hmmm.Or will it....?[/quote]

So what you are basically saying is the players have to show a good focused attitude.  I''ve heard that before somewhere.......or have I?

A problem for me is that many seem intent on getting reserve ''Norwich XI'' friendlies confused for the ''real'' ones. Fact is, our first team has played four games, we''ve won one, drawn one, lost two; F 4 A 3. That isn''t the best or worst record when all things are considered, we always seem to be a bit crappy early doors.

We''ll hopefully start to put more ''complete'' performances over the next three games, but whatever, these games are only to get the players ready for the real thing: if we win the remainder it will be rather hollow if we go on to lose to Everton and Hull.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]A problem for me is that many seem intent on getting reserve ''Norwich XI'' friendlies confused for the ''real'' ones. Fact is, our first team has played four games, we''ve won one, drawn one, lost two; F 4 A 3. That isn''t the best or worst record when all things are considered, we always seem to be a bit crappy early doors.

We''ll hopefully start to put more ''complete'' performances over the next three games, but whatever, these games are only to get the players ready for the real thing: if we win the remainder it will be rather hollow if we go on to lose to Everton and Hull.[/quote]I agree, I know it''s irrational but a small part of me does feel disappointed when we don''t score against lower level opposition in friendlies. I think if we hadn''t struggled with goals last season this wouldn''t even enter my mind.As you say though, we could win 5 - 0 in all the friendlies then lose 1 - 0 to Everton and Hull.

Oh dear Reading! Now that you''ve broken up from school you can check through my posts and discover that I never slate the club. I may offer a different viewpoint from time to time, but I''m afraid that is not the same thing.

I bet you sat with your ear close to the radio on Thursday night waiting for City to ''bang in the goals'' completely oblivious to the fact that these are just ''friendlies''....''runarounds''.....goals are unimportant....but I admire your devotion.

I''m not so happy with your negative post:-

"Another "dodgy back pass" ...... what is it with us and trying to shoot ourselves in the foot."

How would our defenders feel if they knew you were describing their back passes as ''dodgy'', and that they were trying to ''shoot themselves in the foot''. You need to think very carefully about the repercussions of your vacuous posts.

The sooner the school holidays are over , the better....

[quote user="unique"]Ask a Norwich fan and it will be '' of little importance.....just about getting as many players on the pitch for game time......scoring goals irrelevant......results irrelevant.....everything will be fine once the season starts.....''.

Ask a Swansea fan and it will be '' very important......sets the tone for the start of the season....winning becomes a habit......28 goals and just 1 conceded in seven matches reminds the squad just what they''re capable of..........''.

.....might even set the team up for an impressive 4-0 victory in the first competitive match of the season....[/quote]

A very valid post unique and in no way slates the club.

It really just depends on the person. I feel if you are a real winner of a person (dare i say PL) then you would want to win every game friendly or not.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who like to make little excuses as to why there team are not winning.

I would love us to win every game friendly or not but i know thats not realistic. I dont make little excuses though when we don''t and i do question why we didnt win.

Again, depends on the person.

[quote user="unique"]Oh dear Reading! Now that you''ve broken up from school you can check through my posts and discover that I never slate the club. I may offer a different viewpoint from time to time, but I''m afraid that is not the same thing.

I bet you sat with your ear close to the radio on Thursday night waiting for City to ''bang in the goals'' completely oblivious to the fact that these are just ''friendlies''....''runarounds''.....goals are unimportant....but I admire your devotion.

I''m not so happy with your negative post:-

"Another "dodgy back pass" ...... what is it with us and trying to shoot ourselves in the foot."

How would our defenders feel if they knew you were describing their back passes as ''dodgy'', and that they were trying to ''shoot themselves in the foot''. You need to think very carefully about the repercussions of your vacuous posts.

The sooner the school holidays are over , the better....[/quote]There''s a clear and obvious difference between stating a fact which occurs during a game / games and spreading your doom and gloom"NCFC''s history with buying european players has been littered with

disappointment and failure. For every Nedergaard, there has been a

Muzinic, de Waard and Sibierski. For every Svensson, there has been a

Helveg, Johnsson and Brellier.

Is this long standing tradition ever going to change?"

See I can find posts made by you from the past as well !

Of course I would much rather trade our friendly results with those of Swansea''s if indeed those stats are correct, not that there is any reason to doubt but i haven''t followed them.

It appears that the Braga game should be available to watch this evening, and I am expecting a very strong, almost full strength line up, bar the central defence where Bass and Turner are still struggling. This game will have much more of an edge than the previous games and I really do think we will see much more attacking impetus from the players. Lets not get too carried away with the doom and gloom until there is something to get down about, hey?

[quote user="BSEYELLOW"]Of course I would much rather trade our friendly results with those of Swansea''s if indeed those stats are correct, not that there is any reason to doubt but i haven''t followed them.

It appears that the Braga game should be available to watch this evening, and I am expecting a very strong, almost full strength line up, bar the central defence where Bass and Turner are still struggling. This game will have much more of an edge than the previous games and I really do think we will see much more attacking impetus from the players. Lets not get too carried away with the doom and gloom until there is something to get down about, hey?[/quote]Agreed, I think the Braga game will be a proper run out, the Cambridge game was in my opinion just a glorified training session.Having read some real over-reaction to pre-season results on twitter, I don''t think you can describe anything posted on this discussion as "carried away with the doom and gloom" though.

My bad, I didn''t mean that people were getting all doom and gloom just yet, more that some people were voicing concerns, nothing wrong with that, but that we should see how the real games go before we react any further.

The Cambridge game was mainly youth team and a couple of guys who didnt get much at Brighton, so it really should be ignored. The Brighton game we sounded decent in the first half from what I heard. Brighton, being 2 weeks fitness ahead of us maybe lasted a little longer and came on stronger late on? The US tour was all about team bonding and fitness so results to me 100% irrelevant.

Il be watching tonight and I expect to see a much better performance.

[quote user="BSEYELLOW"]Of It appears that the Braga game should be available to watch this evening[/quote]

Have you seen a link anywhere for the game tonight. I''ve not had a chance to look yet and can''t at work, maybe Firstrow??

"NCFC''s history with buying european players has been littered with disappointment and failure. For every Nedergaard, there has been a Muzinic, de Waard and Sibierski. For every Svensson, there has been a Helveg, Johnsson and Brellier.

Spreading doom and gloom? You are a prize fool, but I bet you bleed ''green and yella'' and can shout ''y''army'' at the top of your high-pitched voice.....so you can''t be all bad.

I would say it''s more akin to stating a fact - for some reason Norwich have had very little success up to now with buying foreign players. There is a good chance that this season might break with tradition having purchased Fer and VW.

I daresay two of the most successful periods in NCFC''s history under Mike Walker and Paul Lambert were achieved pretty much exclusively without any European players.