Sign in to follow this  
canaryfairy

Penalties

With the new signings we have brought in I predict that one major difference this year will be an increase in the number of penalties we''re awarded.

In recent seasons we''ve lacked pace, but with Redmond, RVW, Fer, Hooper, Snoddy, Benno, Olsson and possibly even 1 or 2 Murphy''s running at defences I think winning penalties are more likely.

Also, if we do get a few, who do you think will take them?

I think the top sides are always favoured with penalties when playing the smaller clubs and I cannot see that changing. When playing clubs around the same level as us and if we are creating the chances you could well be correct OP.

I actually read a really interesting stat a few months ago, although I can''t remember the source, that stated that the teams with the highest time spent in opposition penalty area to penalties awarded over the last 3 PL seasons were Blackpool, Wigan and West Brom. Last year only Chelsea were awarded more pens than West Brom, so I think the old ''big clubs get all the decisions'' conspiracy theories are unfounded. They simply have better players spending more time in the penalty area running at people.

I''d expect whichever striker was starting to take the penalties. RVW or Hoops.

[quote user="Fleckys Flip-Flop"]

I actually read a really interesting stat a few months ago, although I can''t remember the source, that stated that the teams with the highest time spent in opposition penalty area to penalties awarded over the last 3 PL seasons were Blackpool, Wigan and West Brom. Last year only Chelsea were awarded more pens than West Brom, so I think the old ''big clubs get all the decisions'' conspiracy theories are unfounded. They simply have better players spending more time in the penalty area running at people.

I''d expect whichever striker was starting to take the penalties. RVW or Hoops.

[/quote]I didn''t say the big clubs get all the decisions, but that they get them against the smaller clubs. The fact that Blackpool, Wigan and WBA got lots of penalties is fine but I bet they did not get many against the big clubs.  That was my point.  The reason we failed to get so many penalties last season is that we do not/did not play attacking football in the same way as those three clubs who play open attacking football, not emphasising defence but attack, especially Blackpool under Holloway and Wigan under Martinez. That is obvious, is it not and therefore no surprise from me at their penalty stats.  

Paul Moy said:

"I didn''t say the big clubs get all the decisions, but that they get them against the smaller clubs. The fact that Blackpool, Wigan and WBA got lots of penalties is fine but I bet they did not get many against the big clubs. That was my point. The reason we failed to get so many penalties last season is that we do not/did not play attacking football in the same way as those three clubs who play open attacking football, not emphasising defence but attack, especially Blackpool under Holloway and Wigan under Martinez. That is obvious, is it not and therefore no surprise from me at their penalty stats."

I''d say that was because it''s the big clubs who restrict their time in the area the most and equally against the smaller clubs that the big teams spend most time attacking. Not because anyone favours them.

However, the reason we didn''t get many is, to my mind, exactly as you say.

[quote user="Fleckys Flip-Flop"]

Paul Moy said:

"I didn''t say the big clubs get all the decisions, but that they get them against the smaller clubs. The fact that Blackpool, Wigan and WBA got lots of penalties is fine but I bet they did not get many against the big clubs. That was my point. The reason we failed to get so many penalties last season is that we do not/did not play attacking football in the same way as those three clubs who play open attacking football, not emphasising defence but attack, especially Blackpool under Holloway and Wigan under Martinez. That is obvious, is it not and therefore no surprise from me at their penalty stats."

I''d say that was because it''s the big clubs who restrict their time in the area the most and equally against the smaller clubs that the big teams spend most time attacking. Not because anyone favours them.

However, the reason we didn''t get many is, to my mind, exactly as you say.

[/quote]Well, I specifically remember Ashley Young getting at least two very dodgy ''diving'' penalties the season before last in the run-in that I would bet smaller clubs would not have got !! The injustices live long in the memory.