Sign in to follow this  

If we have a really good start and win the first four or five games of the season, we will be top of the league.   What do we do then?   Say omg, we''re top, get all nervous and worried, say we''re over achieving and expect to lose the next game?   Or do we think we''re there because we''re good enough and could stay there?   Hypothetical, I know, but it does beg the question - what if?   Are we ready to embrace the top of the table if it happens?   Or are we set in our thinking that the top is somehow beyond us?

The easiest thing to say is "it ain''t going to happen", but what if it does?   What happens if we get to the top, or near the top of the table by some good results, say four wins and a draw?   Vertigo?   

I only ask because last season, after four or five poor results at the start of last season, there were shouts that we were going to be relegated and "Hughton out".   I wonder what will happen if the opposite happens....

If we got to top of the table after a few games, we wouldn''t stay there.

Of cause we could. But we won''t.

It''s nice to think anything can happen in football, and to an extent it can. We could beat Everton 5-0 on the opening day, win a couple more, maybe even 5/6 in a row.

Football has a system, some clubs are better, bigger, have better players, coaches etc. they will stumble at times. But order will be resumed. Again I''ll say, it could happen that a club like us wins the league. But it''s probably less likely than e winning the lottery this weekend, and I don''t even buy tickets...

Blind optimism is just as bad as blind negativity. Both extreme ends of the scales. Nothing wrong with wanting to want/expect/hope for better, nothing wrong thinking things won''t go great.

I prefer "Where The Streets Have No Name" or "Still Haven''t Found What I''m Looking For", which is also Chris Hughton''s anthem during the transfer window.

[quote user="paul moy"]Sorry, but some are going to be so disappointed.....[/quote]Some were disappointed we weren''t relegated last season..........

Vertigo? Well, if we are seeing NCFC life as a Hitchcock film a few others spring to  mind. The Man Who Knew Too Much for Glenn Roeder, The Wrong Man for his successor, Frenzy for the reaction to the departure of Gunn''s successor, Psycho for when Stuart Pearce takes over, The Trouble With Harry for when - no, sorry, I can''t even bring myself to type it...Lifeboat for what the Cullum offer wasn''t, Family Plot for what held it at bay, The Thirty Nine Steps in different ways for the Grant Holt Fitness Programme and the Matty Pattison Recovery Programme, I Confess for Chris Martin (and for every other post from Wiz), Spellbound for what fans hope to be this season.

Or Rear Window if we were thinking of the hotel redesign as per Lakey.

Incidentally, Lakey, perhaps you could share what rationale you shared with McNally supporting your plan, pointing out to him that it would cost the football club almost nothing as it would be absorbed by the hotel owners. How did he react to that little bit of input because your previous communication of his answer, namely, that all available financial resources at the club needed to be directed to player personnel, did not address the very point that you made to the rest of us. I do think you should clarify that on behalf of all the posters you praised for their positive input. Don''t you?

Time to have an average season for a change.

Too many people getting carried away with the transfers but on the other hand, too many people pant wetting for silly reasons.

I''m content looking forward to an average season we''re well overdue in any of the leagues we''ve been in for too many seasons.

Will say it''s a bit carried away with the seasons start. First time we got relegated from the Premiership, t-shirts printed saying "On loan...". Look what happened. Season we had 3 home games on the trot and took 3 points.

Do chickens count their eggs?

Let''s be average and take from there with a couple of cup runs against stronger teams.

[quote user="Thorny"]Time to have an average season for a change.

Too many people getting carried away with the transfers but on the other hand, too many people pant wetting for silly reasons.

I''m content looking forward to an average season we''re well overdue in any of the leagues we''ve been in for too many seasons.

Will say it''s a bit carried away with the seasons start. First time we got relegated from the Premiership, t-shirts printed saying "On loan...". Look what happened. Season we had 3 home games on the trot and took 3 points.

Do chickens count their eggs?

Let''s be average and take from there with a couple of cup runs against stronger teams.[/quote]
In the last seasons we have finished 12th and 11th. You can''t get much more average than that, if you take average to be 10th-11th to be the smack bang middle of the league. 
The only way that we could be above average is to finish 9th, and the only way that we can be below average is to finish 12th. I''d take average again, just don''t really understand where you are coming from when you ask for an ''average'' season. 

[quote user="Gingerpele"]If we got to top of the table after a few games, we wouldn''t stay there.[/quote]Isn''t that what they said at the start of the 92/93 season?

1. my honest prediction is that this season still be very similar to last, including the first game thrashing. mainly because our problem was cutting edge but we have the exact same attacking midfield.

I am enjoying this board at the moment,some good subjects to discuss, just a shame they still get spoiled by some of the usual pink-un message board cross examination and referal back to historic threads about unconnected subjects, what has the Hotel corner got to do with this subject for example.

Anyway, in answer to this subject, it could happen couldnt it......early season results often are all over the place and league positions not representative of what they will look like at the end of the season. I am sure the club will look at this situation, should it occur, in a realistic and grounded way, knowing that it is points in the bank towards the target total, some fans will certainly get very excited and expect it to be sustained, but the majority of us will be in line with the club''s thinking I''m sure.

The "over achieving" statements always jar me off, and we have had these for the last two seasons.....I just see it as the team performing to its level, otherwise they wouldnt be in that position. Now, its a different thing when you under achieve and you are say a Manchester United coming 10th, but I still feel that the last two seasons league positions represent what the squad was capable of and wasnt actually an over achievement.....sorry I went off topic slightly.

Oh, also I wouldnt bet any money on the situation being a "CH out" situation if we do indeed have four or five poor early results........there are unfortunately, for some strange reason, people who "support" the club who apparently seem to be waiting for the bad run to happen, strange but true....  

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Gingerpele"]If we got to top of the table after a few games, we wouldn''t stay there.[/quote]Isn''t that what they said at the start of the 92/93 season?[/quote]

This is rather my point.   Anything can happen.  I''m not saying we''re going to be at the top. I''m asking whether we''re ready as fans to accept that if we do get there after four or five games - if we have a good start - then do we accept the situation and believe we can go on, or would we believe we are in a bubble and will fall back down?  This season, if  we get off to a good start, we need to accept it and believe we can go on from there.  Forget the hype of the top five or six, we know they are beatable.    Its my belief that one or two smaller clubs are going to break through this season.  It might as well be us as Swansea or any of the others.  Are we as fans ready for that? 

Oh, also I wouldnt bet any money on the situation being a "CH out" situation if we do indeed have four or five poor early results........there are unfortunately, for some strange reason, people who "support" the club who apparently seem to be waiting for the bad run to happen, strange but true.... 

You''ve again gone off topic and opened a can of worms with this quote.

From what i am reading between the lines is (and please feel free to correct me) if a "supporter" is not happy with CH management style and the lack of results then said "supporter" is not a real "supporter"?

IMO a Norwich City supporter can always be a Norwich City supporter BUT it doesnt mean you have to like the management team/results or style of play.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Gingerpele"]If we got to top of the table after a few games, we wouldn''t stay there.[/quote]Isn''t that what they said at the start of the 92/93 season?[/quote]

This is rather my point.   Anything can happen.  I''m not saying we''re going to be at the top. I''m asking whether we''re ready as fans to accept that if we do get there after four or five games - if we have a good start - then do we accept the situation and believe we can go on, or would we believe we are in a bubble and will fall back down?  This season, if  we get off to a good start, we need to accept it and believe we can go on from there.  Forget the hype of the top five or six, we know they are beatable.    Its my belief that one or two smaller clubs are going to break through this season.  It might as well be us as Swansea or any of the others.  Are we as fans ready for that? 

[/quote]

I admire your optimism greatly, but I really cannot see the top 6 being crackable for a club our size. Liverpool seem to be recovering from their dodgy period, Spurs either have the best player in the league or 100million to invest and the other 4 are on a completely different planet to the rest of the league.

I do fully believe that Everton, under Martinez, will provide the opportunity for teams such as us, Swansea and S''oton to have a real go at 7th though, this for me is our aim this season, combined with a real proper go at the cups or at least 1.

Being one of the people who were writing to the club asking to sack Hughton on a weekly basis, i would feel dreadful if this happened. I had a sense of guilt each time i returned from the postbox.

I even found out his personal address in March and was sending him letters direct asking for him to do the right thing and just leave the county altogether. Some of them i recycled the envelopes of bills that i had received, with EDF energy logos, BT logos etc. so that he would definitely see them.

Anything less than 10th is a disgrace this season, and i have a bloody lot of envelopes and pens ready, and timelife magazines. I bet he can''t resist opening those muthas! ;)

Really don''t think this is a situation we should be preparing for. Not sure what your thought process was behind thinking this was necessary

[quote user="pilksfanclub"]Really don''t think this is a situation we should be preparing for. Not sure what your thought process was behind thinking this was necessary[/quote]

If you''re referring to the op, it was just me thinking that it is possible for teams to hit the ground running and have a spectacular start to the season.

I see so much negativity attached to our club - or perhaps fairer to say lack of positivity, usually for little reason,  I just wondered if people are ready for the success we could have.  When we were promoted to the premiership, it was fantastic and I was looking forward to competing and doing well, yet all I read about was how our players weren''t good enough.  Nearly every player got it in the neck at some point during the season.   Yet we were comfortable and had some great results.  Same last season.  Hughton barely got his foot through the door when all the doom merchants were out in force - before the season ever got under way. Never mind he took us on a great run, some great results and in the end comfortable.   Imo, we were always going to compete in that first premiership season - as we had done so well the previous two seasons under Lambert - it was just more of the same.   Last season was a transition as most of us recognise.

This season?    I am sure we are going to continue to be solid at the back, improve our possession and passing in midfield and consequently have more opportunities to score.  If that works we are going to be a force.     So why not?    If we win the first three or four games we are setting our stall out. I just wonder if we are ready to embrace it, or will we let the reticence come through and say - we''re not good enough to sustain it?

I believe that if - and it is an if - we have a great start, we can sustain it and keep us near the top of the table.   Ok, its only ifs and maybes - but I am ready to see a smaller club break through to upset the top six. 

It might as well be us. 

We should prepare for the most likely outcome and this isn''t that. We weren''t comfortable it looks comfortable in terms of the table but we all know how it looked for weeks. We were pretty poor as a team generally last season. I agree it was transition and I hope to see us evolve we just need to see whether Hughton can evolve us into something stable and established.

In terms of possession I don''t think it certainly leads to more chances. The issue was the lack of intent from the team. Men didn''t go forwards enough and were too safe and cautious generally. Oh and I think in terms of the top 6 there are clubs better placed to break in if those clubs falter which I don''t think will happen.

[quote user="pilksfanclub"]We should prepare for the most likely outcome and this isn''t that. We weren''t comfortable it looks comfortable in terms of the table but we all know how it looked for weeks. We were pretty poor as a team generally last season. I agree it was transition and I hope to see us evolve we just need to see whether Hughton can evolve us into something stable and established.

In terms of possession I don''t think it certainly leads to more chances. The issue was the lack of intent from the team. Men didn''t go forwards enough and were too safe and cautious generally. Oh and I think in terms of the top 6 there are clubs better placed to break in if those clubs falter which I don''t think will happen.[/quote]

We shall see!