Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Centre Back

With Barnett leaving for Wigan that now leaves Bassong, Turner, Bennett and Ayala competing for the centre back roles.

Obviously all we''re hearing about right now is the Quag deal but do you think we are in the market for a centre back? I know a dutch fella was mentioned on here several times (Toby something), but only on here. I didn''t read much about a possible deal for him elsewhere.

If we do go with those 4 centre backs I fear it''s not strong enough. Whilst we''ve boosted our attacking options, I do feel we need more at the back.

I did hear Liverpool etc were interested in him, but perhaps if interest from them was more concrete he would have signed for them by now.

Assuming, if we do sign him or another centre back, Ayala will move on.

Have to say, I was jealous when Cardiff signed Caulker. Think he''s a good defender and will be a great defender.

The rumours around the internet have been Kouyate (Anderlecht), Sakho (PSG) and the Dunston Phantom; whether they''re reliable is a completely different matter, but no smoke without fire I suppose.

The defense did a good job last season, i''m not sure I would want a chunk of the budget spent here when Bassong, Turner, Bennett and  Martin seem to be fine at this level.Ayala did O.K. when he first arrived so if he is 5th choice centre back I wouldn''t be worried.Then again quite a few people on here seem to want us to invest money in this position so I might be in the minority.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Do we really need one?

Bassong, Turner, Ayala, Bennett and Martin can play there.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t want to see Ayala ever have to start a game for Norwich and Martin is still needed at right back. Whittaker seems a little injury prone so if he was missing on the first day of the season, then the defense would have to be Martin - Turner - Bennet - Olsson/Garrido with only Ayala as cover.

Personally I''d like to see Norwich sell Ayala and bring in a centre back who can displace either Bassong or Turner (both of whom struggled with injuries fairly often last season).

Have to agree with you, Bethnal, re:Ayala. And I am someone who thought him potentially a very good defender.

His game is full of mistakes, which would be fine if it wasn''t for the fact that he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. He doesn''t learn from them.

Besides this, he is very injury prone. We just can''t rely on him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t want to see Ayala ever have to start a game for Norwich and Martin is still needed at right back. Whittaker seems a little injury prone so if he was missing on the first day of the season, then the defense would have to be Martin - Turner - Bennet - Olsson/Garrido with only Ayala as cover.

Personally I''d like to see Norwich sell Ayala and bring in a centre back who can displace either Bassong or Turner (both of whom struggled with injuries fairly often last season).

[/quote]Do you not see Bennett as the man to try and displace Bassong or Turner? Thought some of his performances last season suggested he might be. He has played Gafaiti quite a bit in pre-season too. Not saying he''ll be a starter but if Hughton thinks he''ll be ready next season then signing someone now will put him further down the order and block his progress.

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Do you not see Bennett as the man to try and displace Bassong or Turner? Thought some of his performances last season suggested he might be. He has played Gafaiti quite a bit in pre-season too. Not saying he''ll be a starter but if Hughton thinks he''ll be ready next season then signing someone now will put him further down the order and block his progress.[/quote]Bennett certainally wont replace Bassong. Not beyond the realms of possibility that he replaces Turner, though I hope and believe we are still looking for that ''class'' centre half to partner Bassong

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you not see Bennett as the man to try and displace Bassong or Turner? Thought some of his performances last season suggested he might be. He has played Gafaiti quite a bit in pre-season too. Not saying he''ll be a starter but if Hughton thinks he''ll be ready next season then signing someone now will put him further down the order and block his progress.
[/quote]

Whilst Bennett had a couple of good games, he has had some right stinkers too. Against Stoke he was truely woeful, although improved for WBA and Man City. I''m not entirely convinced by him and would prefer to see someone else brought in.

My main worry is with Turner and Bassong staying fit, they both had constant niggling injuries last season (Bassong''s injury now is the same one that kept him out of the Man City game) and I would be much happier if a CB who could go straight into the team was found. This is obviously dependant on the finances being available to bring in such a player - but the attempt to sign Alderweired, which is not just some rumour, shows that Hughton is prepared for some of the transfer budget to be spent in this department.

As I''ve mentioned on other threads, I''d be a bit worried if we were to lose either of Bassong or Turner or both for a very long period of time.

Losing both of them would be a disaster in my opinion. Would people feel confident having Martin and Bennett in defence for the majority of the season? To me that''d be a massive worry.

Bennett has been average (at best) for most of the time he''s been here. He had a couple of decent games towards the end of the season that have been very overrated by some and seem to have masked the rest of his time at the club.

As for Russell Martin, I prefer him at centre back but for however good people claim he is in that position he wasn''t first choice there under Lambert and he isn''t first choice there for Hughton. So how good is he really?

In my opinion Bassong and Turner have been immense for us and are, by some distance, the strongest central defenders at the club. I think we could do with at least one more defender who is close to their level.

[quote]

Whilst Bennett had a couple of good games, he has had some right stinkers too. Against Stoke he was truely woeful, although improved for WBA and Man City. I''m not entirely convinced by him and would prefer to see someone else brought in.

My main worry is with Turner and Bassong staying fit, they both had constant niggling injuries last season (Bassong''s injury now is the same one that kept him out of the Man City game) and I would be much happier if a CB who could go straight into the team was found. This is obviously dependant on the finances being available to bring in such a player - but the attempt to sign Alderweired, which is not just some rumour, shows that Hughton is prepared for some of the transfer budget to be spent in this department.

[/quote]Fair enough, maybe at 23 he needs another year to iron out the lapses before truly challenging.Again probably in the minority here but I think Caulker is overrated and 8 million is stupid money. Thought he lacked concentration last season, Lloris is v quick at sweeping up and thought he saved his hide quite a few times when he was caught ball watching. Think Levy saw Cardiff coming on this one.

I too would be much more comfortable if we sign another quality CB o add to Turner and Bassong who were I agree immense last season, two  and Turner) he is clearly a young player of good potential who will be improving the longer he is with the club, and I actually see him about on par with Bennett, many will disagree I''m sure.

I think we wil go in for a centre back but is not the main priority. Could be on the 2nd sept that we secure one. Def don''t think we will sign one before the season starts.

Good to see that Turner is fit again and took part in the Training Day at CR. Another attacking player is the priority, but if there is enough of budget left after that, CB should come next.