Sign in to follow this  
shardy

Gary Holt

Just have to say now that the season is over, but Gary Holt was without doubt the worst player in the premiership this season. I can''t understand how the hell he keeps getting picked. He can''t pass, can''t tackle, he''s never available to pass to and his positional sense is fking woeful.

So all I hope now that it''s all over that we can finally get through to worthy is that this bloke has to go. Whoever comes or goes just get rid of this waste of space. I have watched this idiot for the last 3 seasons now i can''t take my eyes off him, as I can''t believe he is actually playing for Norwich City. All he does is jog from one 18 yard box to the other and nothing in between. GOD I HATE HOLT. It truly is like playing with 10 men.

The funny thing is he actually got in the scotland squad.

He''s so crap he''s played nearly every game before this season

This season has been a big step up for a lot of players, some have fallen short. It was obvious yesterday before Holt came on that we were going to struggle and there were players much more guilty of bottling the occasion than him. I''d like to see who else you suggest we could being in for £100K and could give the same amount of commitment and effort in the last 3 years.

He had the first touch of a brick wall yesterday. His confidence looks completely shot. But let''s face it, for all his tireless work and effort, he still looks a one dimensional player even in Division 1.

Think the real issue is that Holt being put on as a midfield swap was a tactical error for worthington.  Surely Putting Jonson right and moving Bentley inside would have been the answer to keeping ''some'' creativity???

You say who else could you bring in for 100k? that''s not the issue, he''s not up to first division football, let alone the premier league, saffri is better but he''s been left out most of the season to accommodate holt. I agree it''s not possible for one player alone to get a side relegated, it''s the fact that playing with him in the side is like playing with 10 men, because he doesn''t do anything, therefore we are a weakened side before we even kick off.

Please believe me when I said that I have been watching him for the past 3 seasons I have and he''s been crap for 95% of those games and the other 5% he''s almost average. Watch yesterdays game again and just watch out for gary holt and what he does it''s scary.that was a typical holt performance no midfield cover for the defence, in fact he''s normally level with the defenders or even behind them. He should be blocking/tackling for the ball further up the pitch stopping the supply to opponents forwards, this he doesn''t do.

GET HOLT OUT NOW!

[quote]He''s so crap he''s played nearly every game before this season This season has been a big step up for a lot of players, some have fallen short. It was obvious yesterday before Holt came on that we w...[/quote]

ncfc4prem, I''m with you on Holt.The guy gives his all for the club. Can you say the same for some of the other players? What about Francis the last few weeks?You also have to remember that he''s one man in a midfield of four. It''s hard to do a job if you''re covering for your midfield partners. That''s not to say that he couldn''t improve. I''m sure there are many of the City team that you could say that about. But to simply discount the guy is out of order. If you had 10 other players that wore the yellow and green with the same amount of pride as Gary Holt then you might not have seen that 6-0 defeat on Sunday....

Who has said he wasn''t up to 1st Division football????

What a load of crap. He has been our best player for 3 seasons before embarrassing himself in the premiership. He deserves a  medal, he tries his hardest, and it''s not his fault our nincompoop of a manager keeps selecting him in his team.

An as for "worst prem player of the season" there is only one winner. Step forward, Craig Fleming.

This is unbelievable, all those of you who say gary holt isn''t that bad can i ask you to do something for me. I have watched this mans every move in every game for the past 3 seasons, trust me I have, could you watch a recording of any match you can get your hands on(the whole game) and just watch gary holts every move please.

What you will see is a clueless man marking an empty space, when we don''t have the ball, never man marking.plus he''s so deep he''s level with our defenders (or behind) not attacking midfield opposition (result become overrun in the middle of the park). When we have the ball he''s either not looking at the ball or he runs towards an opponent, so he''s not available to pass to. As for what he does when he gets the ball a complete joke.

Ok so against fulham we were all crap (not the fans) but he must have only touched the ball 4 maybe 5 times in an hour totally unacceptable.

So please could you do this for me to see if you can see the light on gary holt

P.S. mook i agree that his inclusion is worthy''s decision (poor judgment) but best player for the past 3 season whatever sort of football do you want to see . lets face it even scotland dropped him i wonder why.

Gary Holt was out of his depth in the Prem and was at best average in our championship season.  The lack of tackling does concern me as his role is defensive & ball winning!  However he is consistent & committed and I could find him a squad place as cover for central midfield which has been seriously lacking this year.

My preference would still be for Francis despite his overly laid back approach.  He frequently scores and does have an occassional good game and at his worst he has the same impact as Holt. 

On Sunday Damo was NOT worse than Holt.  Both were utterly useless and had no impact on the game.  The fact that one sat on his back side for 90 mins and the other ran around like a headless chicken for 60 minutes has no bearing on how I rate them - the key is how effective they were and neither deserve any support for sundays offering. 

The least effective prem player is a battle between Flem, Holt and Eddy, who all ironically got more appearances than they deserved this season on the basis of effort rather than ability.  I would run around like Holt (well for a minute or so) and be as effective but you wouldnt want me in a city shirt.  

OTBC

[quote]Well now we all know, it was Holt who got us relegated all on his own.[/quote]

too be honest, i think you are a fool in a ditch.........

....... you couldnt find the hill!!!

Thats a pathetic quote, football is a team game, so what it think flemming had a really poor season, im not going to point the blame at him, cause no it wasnt his fault every time.

There has been bad players, but there is no possible way to single-handedly relegate a team!

GO HOME!

I''m sorry I have to disagree with you there.  Giving your all is not enough.  I would give my all playing for Norwich city and wouldn''t stop running but I can assure you show pony though he is you''d rather have Bentley in the side than me.

Gary Holt is a Canary legend but he should not have played more than one or two games this season.  Even in his player of the season year people questioned if his touch was good enough for division one.  Since then he seems to have lost both confidence and dare I say it fitness/pace.  He tried his heart out against Fulham as he has in every game this season but I''m afraid I would have been as effective.  He didn''t get close to making a tackle or a block and to my recollection both passes he made went straight to a Fulham player.  The difference between city before he came on and after was enourmous.  It isn''t his fault he was picked but it was a big factor in us going down and to my mind was Nigel Worthington''s biggest mistake by far.  With him on the pitch as part of a 2 man midfield and Francis picking and chooses the sections of the game he wants to play in it effectively meant we had no midfield at all for large scetions of matches. 

I only hope that some morons don''t start booing him as he doesn''t deserve that after everything he''s done for this club. 

It''s amazing how far running around a lot can get you in this game. As others have said, we''d all give 100% commitment and effort in a Norwich shirt but most of us would still be rubbish though. However, I think he can play a part next season as he''s far better suited to the rough and tumble of Div 1.

3 lungs yes, but 2 left feet and 0 footballing brain.

[quote]too be honest, i think you are a fool in a ditch......... ....... you couldnt find the hill!!! Thats a pathetic quote, football is a team game, so what it think flemming had a really poor season,...[/quote]

get a grip mate i was being flippant and was coming to the defence of holt, my point being it is a team game but people on this thread were having a pop at holt as though without him we would have stayed up.

I have to admit that every time holt comes on i boo him. So yes i must be a moron. But I am not booing holt the person, it kills me to get on the back of any city player, it really does but I''m fed-up with worthy selecting him (for most of this season ahead of saffri total insanity) So I''m trying to show worthy how i feel about him.

It''s not holt''s fault he get''s picked and I''m not one of these people who want worthy out I just wish worthy could see how completely useless holt is.

As I have said many times before to who ever will listen it''s like playing with 10 men whenever he is on.

Has anyone watched a full match yet as I requested to study holts inactivity and very poor positional play. You''ll be amazed when you actually watch what he does. To be fair to holt don''t pick the Fulham game to watch as that was a particularly bad game for him. To be even more fair to him pick a game we won and watch that one.

One descent display from holt this season that even I have to admit to is the 4-4 draw with boro pretty good for holt he made the difference, although not quite sure how.

Ricky i really disagree strongly when you say we wouldn''t have stayed up without him. I agree that you can''t blame one man, but it''s because he''s so crap that our defence was under so much pressure all the time. if we didn''t have holt in the squad we would have had another player in his place I hear H Dumpty is better than holt.

Just for the record i did wait until the season was over before starting with these negative comments but i have got to say them.

GET HOLT OUT NOW PLEASE!

I also think we could have possibly stayed up had Holt not played - imagine Safri playing in the middle all season (yes, that''s why we paid half a million for him last summer) instead of using the old Division 1 has-beens. And no, Safri or Helveg were not injured at the start of the season when they were noth totally overlooked (among others)

Oh well, it''s all ifs, buts and maybes now.

Shardy, since you''ve already said it, you are a moron! booing players is counter productive, maybe ii is people of your ilk that has cost us our place in the premiership. What do you think booing does to players confidence? improve it? I don''t think so. So when you boo when a player comes on do you think they know you are booing the managers decision? As for watching Holt''s every move, this sounds rather personal and also a little un-healthy, I prefer to watch all the players, normally the ones with the ball are more intersting!

[quote]Ricky i really disagree strongly when you say we wouldn''t have stayed up without him. I agree that you can''t blame one man, but it''s because he''s so crap that our defence was under so much pressure al...[/quote]

I''m sorry shardy, but that''s a ridiculous thing to say. That kind of irrational statement undermines your authority to make an objective arguement.

marty first of all how dare you say it''s people like me who got us relegated, if you can find someone who makes more noise, sings any more or claps more than me during a game I''d be amazed. Maybe if there had been more like me some of the other stands might start to sing, or maybe worthy would have got the message 2-3 seasons ago about holt. If more people appealed for penalties or freekicks as i do then maybe we could have influenced referees a bit more.

As for it being "rather personal and also a little un-healthy" i too prefer to watch talented footballers with the ball, but, alas, all i can see when i look at the pitch is that clown holt strolling about out of position hiding away from the ball, with some people singing "he''s here, he''s there ....."

Shardy, I have someone like you that sits near where I sit when I can get to Carrow.

Except this guy watches Svensson the whole game. He watches .... waits ..... watches .... and waits .... and then BANG - there''s a mis-placed pass.

Cue a torrent of verbal abuse.

My point is this - if you watch and obsess about a player enough (like I do with Edworthy) then you will find he makes an awful lot of errors. No player except Zinedine Zidane has ever made it through a game without buggering up a few passes etc.

Holt is no Pele, but without his work rate and comittment the Cardiff season would never have happened. We owe him a lot, and you shouldn''t boo him - it''s not fair. Yes he was losing it during last season, and has lost it big style now, but he isn''t selecting himself and doesn''t deserve your treatment.

To all those that say - "I would give 100% for every NCFC match" I say this. If Worthington picked YOU would you say no?

I thought not.

So when you came on and were CRAP, how would you feel about 5,000 or so people booing you?

Lets face it the mans a disgrace to the Premiership. Although i dont fully agree with what Shardy is saying i do see where he is coming from with his comments. Gary Holt has no quality whatsoever to his game and to be honest i would have rather seen him released than Edworthy.

You talk about Shardy being the type of person that gets Norwich relegated whoever said that. We all know Gary Holt was a figure which was a vital reason in our relegation.

Gary Holt and the defence were the main reasons for our relegation. Players like Gary Holt are more of a hindrance than a help to clubs like us.

[quote]too be honest, i think you are a fool in a ditch......... ....... you couldnt find the hill!!! Thats a pathetic quote, football is a team game, so what it think flemming had a really poor season,...[/quote]

he was being sarcastic AJ.

I have followed Norwich for a few years now because Gary plays for them and he thinks they are the dogs baws! My friends go down to shout Norwich on, I cant as I live on the other side of the world but would have if I’d been at home.

Good to see you now showing your true colours, booing him was just the start.

Football is a team game, saying Gary got you relegated is a disgrace.

That guy has ran his heart out for your team and when it has come to the crunch he has not performed in an under performing team and is crucified!

Of course why should nearly dying affect your game eh?

I don’t think any of you realise just how touch n go that was and your club just sat back even after the fact and phoned him about a week later to see he was okay!!

Some of the quotes on this thread are ridiculous.

Do any of you remember where you were before Gary came? I wouldn’t say it was down to Gary you went back to the other end of the league as I know it’s a team game.

But he solidified your team and went a good way to getting you promotion.

The Prem is a big step up and he possibly isn’t fast enough, or maybe good enough, for some players but who exactly else in your midfield chases back to catch the likes of Reyes or Henry or even Dickov???

“No footballing brain”- Never assisted any goals did he? Never played a telling pass?

“Cant tackle” - ???? Can tackle and doesn’t get booked, therefore helping to play in nearly every game in the first division and winning enough Player of the Year trophies to make his house look like a trophy shop.

“Man mark” – Unless he is asked he wont man mark so how is that his fault?

I cant even be bothered to argue this anymore come to think of it, I’ve read your rot on these boards all year and cant believe you would subject him to such abuse after what he has went through for your club.

Its not his club and we’ll gladly take him back at Killie where he will be appreciated until he pops his clogs.

I honestly think some of you don’t have a clue about football and I have to say congratulations on your relegation.

You dont deserve Ashton or Huckerby and I hope they leave you to rot in the Championship!

Lots of love.

Joke

Gary Holt was crap this year and he was average last year, but he was good before that, and excellent in the playoff year.
Whatever happens, it''s out of order to boo the guy. No one can deny his committment and I feel a bit embarressed about his treatment to tell the truth.
Some might point out that we had no one better in the squad to replace him anyway, especially when Saffri was injured. Who''s fault is that?