Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Kenny Sansom

Yeah, was very shocked when I read that this morning. I guess when you''ve lived that life, it can be very difficult to adjust to "the real world" again.

The only good thing to come out of these cases is more and more seems to be being done to help professional athletes prepare for their lives once their careers are over.

HELP!!  that''s all footballers get from the minute they turn professional, sorry but no sympathy for me! join the real world where people struggle from one day to the next.

I live in the real world and don''t struggle from one day to the next, and many others don''t. I don''t get your point there. Most of the companies I''ve worked for provide assistance to people that are retiring, why should footballers be any different? Because they get paid loads of money so should be able to deal with everything?

It is absolutely shocking.

When the Times ran a story last year saying a third of Premier League footballers are insolvent within three years of retirement, the professional Footballers'' Association attacked the story as untrue and alarmist. According to the PFA, the more accurate figure is 20%.

So, even the PFA admits that one in five of all Prem players are insolvent a short time after retirement. The money goes and as the Times said the friends and often the wives who helped spend the money go too.

Of course players are obscenely paid.   Ultimately, it is no one''s fault but their own if they blow their wealth.  But, agents and advisors have responsibilities, many players have families around them.  Good investment advice is easy to find.   It does seem sad that people with sudden wealth cannot have the systems and support to help them provide for their lives after the money stops.

[quote user="stratton canary"]

HELP!!  that''s all footballers get from the minute they turn professional, sorry but no sympathy for me! join the real world where people struggle from one day to the next.

[/quote]Sansom was not of the era where footballers were paid obscene wages like today, where some will never have to ''join the real world''.  Let''s hope you never have a drink and/or depression problem where people have the same attitude towards you, as you have towards Kenny Sansom, on second thoughts.....................[:|]

Who remembers this guy? He was also from the same era and paid the ultimate price for a lack of support from his club...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/mar/17/sport.comment

...hero to zero almost overnight through persistent injuries and then addiction. It brings the fragile nature of a sporting career into sharp perspective.

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]Who remembers this guy? He was also from the same era and paid the ultimate price for a lack of support from his club...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/mar/17/sport.comment

...hero to zero almost overnight through persistent injuries and then addiction. It brings the fragile nature of a sporting career into sharp perspective.[/quote]That''s a tragic story...........................[:(]

Yet another tragic story for those of us that remember the good memories both Sansom and Gazza gave us who followed England during a period when the national team put a relative smile on our faces.

Such a shame that a couple of ignorant fools have popped up on this thread.[:@]

[quote user="Mr 4-6-0"]Quick Hughton....Sign him up! A drunk Sansom would be a better option than Martin or Bennett sober[/quote]

Not funny and entirely inappropriate as anyone with an ounce of commonsense would know.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Yet another tragic story for those of us that remember the good memories both Sansom and Gazza gave us who followed England during a period when the national team put a relative smile on our faces.

[/quote]Ah yes Gazza a man whose life was destroyed by the very drug you yourself made a living dispensing for a number of years Tilly.Am I wrong you did used to sell alcohol at your pub didn''t you?

Respectfully suggest we just accept  that a differing viewpoint is not always neccesarily based upon a foundation of ignorance and move off what could become very sticky ground.

Do footballers get paid too much? It''s not a job, it''s entertainment. How many people get rich off the back of footballers talent. Could ''a popstar'' sell out Old Trafford to 76000 every other Saturday for 9 months? All the best Kenny Samson

This kind of thing happens in all walks of life.  It doesn''t matter if you are a sportsman,  have money or fame or not,  it happens to all sorts of people.  But you can only help people so much.   They have to want to get better.   Soldiers, sportsmen, musicians, teachers, doctors, business people, unemployed people - anybody can succumb to something like this.   Footballers are highlighted and in the public eye, so they get the publicity and yes its sad to see anyone deteriorate in this manner, whether you know them or even just know of them.   They need help, but ultimately, if they don''t want to help themselves, it is difficult for them to recover.   You can''t make someone stop drinking, gambling or whatever.  They have to want to stop doing it too. 

Good luck to him, Gazza and anyone else who has similar problems, I hope they get the right kind of support they need to rebuild their lives.  

[quote user="Zak Van Burger"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Ah yes Gazza a man whose life was destroyed by the very drug you yourself made a living dispensing for a number of years Tilly.

Am I wrong you did used to sell alcohol at your pub didn''t you?

Respectfully suggest we just accept  that a differing viewpoint is not always neccesarily based upon a foundation of ignorance and move off what could become very sticky ground.
[/quote]

The ignorant fools I was referring to made fun of alcoholism and were not advancing a differing viewpoint and so good that you give a broad brush approach to the licensed trade. Why not blame obesity on bakers for selling cream cakes,or fast food outlets and addiction to pills on chemists who dispense them or doctors who prescribe them ? To poke fun at tragic individuals is very immature.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Zak Van Burger"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Ah yes Gazza a man whose life was destroyed by the very drug you yourself made a living dispensing for a number of years Tilly.

Am I wrong you did used to sell alcohol at your pub didn''t you?

[/quote]

The ignorant fools I was referring to made fun of alcoholism and were not advancing a differing viewpoint and so good that you give a broad brush approach to the licensed trade. Why not blame obesity on bakers for selling cream cakes,or fast food outlets and addiction to pills on chemists who dispense them or doctors who prescribe them ? To poke fun at tragic individuals is very immature.

[/quote]

Now this is an interesting suggestion. Doctors could then be responsible for misuse of prescription drugs. I wonder it there''s any doctors post on here who could enlighten us as to whether there''s been any successful prosecutions? I would haver thought proper doctors would be exempt and the problem would be with quacks or those masquerading to be proper doctors!