Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

James McCarthy, Shaun Maloney

" Are you saying that overseas players are better than those based in the UK? Because I''d argue that the Premier League is the strongest league in the world" .... etc etc

"Of course £15m is too much money for McCarthy"

" We don''t know how much Maloney would cost of course"

Look, most of what you wrote has nothing to do with what I said... for example I never mentioned Maxi Lopez.

Your original question was why didn''t we structure these Holt and Barnett deals to buy either MCarthy or Maloney?

I''ll stand by what I said

" Because we are looking for better quaity than that... "

and

" We aren''t going to bid on players to only improve a position a little bit, when we buy we are adding serious quality .. which means overseas buys mainly, or from clubs who need to sell, or both"

and 15m quid is what McCarthy is valued at and Maloney is only marginally better than Hoolahan - who has just had the quality of players around him upgraded - I think you more back up my point than refute it.

Edit button one more time ...

" Are you saying that overseas players are better than those based in the UK? Because I''d argue that the Premier League is the strongest league in the world" .... etc etc

"Of course £15m is too much money for McCarthy"

" We don''t know how much Maloney would cost of course"

Look, most of what you wrote has nothing to do with what I said... for example I never mentioned Maxi Lopez.

Your original question was why didn''t we structure these Holt and Barnett deals to buy either MCarthy or Maloney?

I''ll stand by what I said

" Because we are looking for better quaity than that... "

and

" We aren''t going to bid on players to only improve a position a little bit, when we buy we are adding serious quality .. which means overseas buys mainly, or from clubs who need to sell, or both"

and if 15m quid is what McCarthy is valued at and if Maloney is only marginally better than Hoolahan - who has just had the quality of players around him upgraded - I think you more back up my point than refute it.

Well saying he played on the wing is just mistaken which indicates not watching him a huge amount so it is understandable why I would think you haven''t watched him a huge amount.

He gives the ball away less than Wes does that is backed up by the stats however as I said in Wes'' defence though he is prone to giving the ball away he does take people on more frequently and is probably a better dribbler. I didn''t suggest he is much better but he is better than Hoolahan and is more creative than him and would help us break teams down more frequently something we have struggled with.

I agree with you it means he is more likely to see the ball but conversely as I said less will go through him proportionately which balance that out to an extent and I agree with you on the attacking point as that is what I said! It should be pointed out that this doesn''t explain how much better he performs in these areas.

As I said Maloney statistically outperformed Wes defensively. Your last paragraph makes little sense as it doesn''t really reply to what I said.

[quote user="chicken"] but he could do as well as he did at his spell at Villa.[/quote]
Which was pretty well?  33 appearances, 7 goals, 7 assists, in eighteen months..... with his only full season being one in which they finished 6th in the table? How much better should he have done? Celtic then bought him back for £3m after selling him for £1m, hardly a catastrophe!
[quote] So for me getting Maloney would be after giving up on the likes of Quag and Toivonen [/quote]
Good. One of them doesn''t speak English and the other one clearly thinks that we are below him. I don''t want either of them. 
[quote] As others have said, playing for Celtic and looking great doesn''t always translate into playing in the Premier League or Championship and doing the same. [/quote]
Maloney doesn''t play for Celtic or Rangers though, he plays for Wigan. He was their player of the season, picked over McCarthy, McArthur, Kone, and McManaman.... he has had four or five years of Premier League football, we already know that he can play in the Premier League. 90 games, 18 goals, and 20 assists in English football. Is that a long enough trial? 
If Maloney is as average as you think he is then how did he win Wigan player of the season over McCarthy, and why does Paul Lambert want him at Villa? 

Well thankfully the people that matter arent looking to sign them.

It makes me laugh how people on this board quite happily agree with a £20million price tag for James McCarthy, but when it comes to other clubs sniffing round our players, Snodgrass, Pilks, Ruddy etc, people think they are not worth more than £10million. If McCarthy if worth £20million, Snoddy is worth at least that, Pilks is worth at least £15million and Ruddy £25million. Get a grip.

I''d take Maloney here everyday of the week

Not McCarthy for the outrageous price tag Whelan has slapped on him

[quote user="Id fly over 1p5wich tomorrow..."]

Well thankfully the people that matter arent looking to sign them.

It makes me laugh how people on this board quite happily agree with a £20million price tag for James McCarthy, but when it comes to other clubs sniffing round our players, Snodgrass, Pilks, Ruddy etc, people think they are not worth more than £10million. If McCarthy if worth £20million, Snoddy is worth at least that, Pilks is worth at least £15million and Ruddy £25million. Get a grip.

[/quote]
Nobody has said that they would value McCarthy at £20m. When I started this thread I had no idea that there were £15m offers on the table.