Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Jamie Cureton

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]scored on his debut for Cheltenham today[/quote]Farming county, plenty of barn doors to practice against.

I think the only professional footballer still playing in britain today to have scored more goals than Jamie is Kevin Phillips.

or some fact like that - for a barn door misser he aint done too bad :-)

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I think the only professional footballer still playing in britain today to have scored more goals than Jamie is Kevin Phillips.

or some fact like that - for a barn door misser he aint done too bad :-)[/quote]True.Shame he never did it for a club I care about though.

I had a great chat with him a few weeks ago at my local gym. He told me that he just loves playing football. He was training with the Rovers boys giving advice whilst interested in why a Norwich fan was living in Bristol etc.Nice to see a footballer who isn''t half my age!

Good luck to him.

I agree zipper, people who mock him are being a tad unfair i feel. He''s regularly scored goals no matter where he''s been, even with us, he had one bad season, but then didn''t the whole team? His record stands up for itself really and he seems a real honest kind of football that just loves the game and love scoring goals. Good to see him still going strong i think. Well done Jamie.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I think the only professional footballer still playing in britain today to have scored more goals than Jamie is Kevin Phillips.

or some fact like that - for a barn door misser he aint done too bad :-)[/quote]True.Shame he never did it for a club I care about though.[/quote]
He scored 18 goals for us. That''s more than Steve Morison, many more than Cody McDonald.
The fact that he scored 14 in a season playing alongside Huckerby, and 2 in the next season when having to rely on people like Lee Croft, Mark Fotheringham and David Carney for chances is no coincidence. 

he found the level he scored goals at - cureton in league one would have scored for us - fortunately we had better

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I think the only professional footballer still playing in britain today to have scored more goals than Jamie is Kevin Phillips.

or some fact like that - for a barn door misser he aint done too bad :-)[/quote]True.Shame he never did it for a club I care about though.[/quote]
He scored 18 goals for us. That''s more than Steve Morison, many more than Cody McDonald.
[/quote]And less than Robert Rosario, while we''re quoting stats without context.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] fortunately we had better[/quote]
Would hardly call Oli Johnson or Steven Elliott better! One of those players isn''t even a footballer anymore, and the other is unemployed. 
Cureton has scored 52 goals in the second tier of English football.... Chris Martin is going to need to find another 35 to match that. 
In fact, Grant Holt is going to need to find another 30. 

Jamie Cureton
Premier League: 17 apps    (4 goals)
Championship 186 apps  (54 goals)
League One 380 apps  (147 goals)
League Two 53 apps (22 goals)FA Cup 28 apps  (8 goals)
League Cup 25 apps  (6 goals)
FA Trophy 15 apps (7 goals)
K-League 21 apps (4 goals)
Sounds like an amazing career to me. As a player who came through our youth system we should be proud to have given him the education, there will be plenty of talented kids from our academy who should be delighted if they achieve half of that.... not least this one:
Chris Martin
Premier League 5 apps (0 goals)
Championship 94 apps (17 goals)
League One 54 apps (18 goals)
League Two 40 apps (11 goals)
FA Cup 9 apps (5 goals)
League Cup 10 apps (2 goals)
FA Trophy 9 apps (4 goals)
Who has a lot of ground to make up if he wants to leave a similar legacy, don''t ya think? 
Never understood this Cureton hatred. He didn''t do very well in an awful Norwich team. Sometimes things don''t work out, but he was always a trier and was hardly to blame for the crap that we served under a succession of awful managers. 

Decent lower league goal scorer but just wasn''t good enough for the Championship. Didn''t work hard enough on the pitch.

Although there is a bit of mickey taking I don''t think there is any hatred towards Cureton. Most City fans would have loved for him to have a good career here, as well as the other teams he was at, but for various reasons it didn''t work out. Shame.

Chris Martin is another one where it didn''t work out here eventually, but he deserves a lot more credit for what he did achieve with us.

[quote user="GJP"]Decent lower league goal scorer but just wasn''t good enough for the Championship. Didn''t work hard enough on the pitch.[/quote]

Apart from the season before he rejoined us, when he was the top scorer in the Championship with 23 goals in 44!

In his last season for us he was absolutely shocking!!! I have never seen a striker miss soo many easy/expected opportunities as he did and, I said at the time, if I made that many mistake''s in my work I would have been fired a long time ago!!

That said really like him as a bloke and I am pleased for him to keep playing and scoring, hope he''s not too badly injured. Remember him having a girlfriend who was quite taller than him that caused some embarrassment!! 

OTBC

Problem with Cureton was he offered nothing except goals, as he had no all-round game.  So when he wasn''t scoring, you basically had ten men on the pitch.  For his last season here, he was hopeless beyond belief.And he was always moaning to the Evening News when he wasn''t playing, even though he was obviously no longer good enough for the Championship.