Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

CLINT DEMPSEY!!!

Is currently in the USA discussing terms with Seattle Sounders. Now, they aren''t exactly an LA Galaxy or a New York Red Bulls. 
Surely this is the attacking centre midfielder that we need? 57 Premier League goals in 191 games with 20 assists. Great with his head. 
I can''t think of a single better viable second striker for us, surely a huge step up on people like Maxi Lopez? 
Plus he''s a hard bastard, a midfield of Johnson, Fer and Dempsey isn''t going to get bullied or kicked off the pitch.... I wouldn''t want to face that bunch.
Unless he is desperate to go home, this has to be one worth hijacking doesn''t it?

[quote user="The New Boy"]Is currently in the USA discussing terms with Seattle Sounders. Now, they aren''t exactly an LA Galaxy or a New York Red Bulls. 

Surely this is the attacking centre midfielder that we need? 57 Premier League goals in 191 games with 20 assists. Great with his head. 

I can''t think of a single better viable second striker for us, surely a huge step up on people like Maxi Lopez? 

Plus he''s a hard bastard, a midfield of Johnson, Fer and Dempsey isn''t going to get bullied or kicked off the pitch.... I wouldn''t want to face that bunch.

Unless he is desperate to go home, this has to be one worth hijacking doesn''t it?

[/quote]

I thought that when he became available but guessing his wages would be to much

Would be an EXCELLENT signing for us as he knows the league inside out, has already shown his ability on a consistent basis as well, isn''t going to cost the earth with a massive transfer fee and if wages are the only issue, then I''d argue there is no real issue as I''m pretty damn sure that he''d rather be on say 40k a week for us and staying the in prem, than wandering off to the MLS and playing much less competitive football...

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]If Hughton wants / thinks we need him he will bid for him.I heard he''s on like 55k a week though...[/quote]
So? 
How much do you think Seattle will be paying spurs? A couple of million? 
Quags = £8m, probably £40k per week.
Dempsey = £2m, probably £55k per week.
Let''s say three year deal:
Quags = £14.2m
Dempsey = £10.58m
Remember that whoever we get in for that position is going to require a transfer fee, it isn''t all about the wages, it is about the total cost of the package.
Hypothetical numbers of course, but the general point remains the same.

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]If Hughton wants / thinks we need him he will bid for him.I heard he''s on like 55k a week though...[/quote]
So? 
How much do you think Seattle will be paying spurs? A couple of million? 
Quags = £8m, probably £40k per week.
Dempsey = £2m, probably £55k per week.
Let''s say three year deal:
Quags = £14.2m
Dempsey = £10.58m
Remember that whoever we get in for that position is going to require a transfer fee, it isn''t all about the wages, it is about the total cost of the package.
Hypothetical numbers of course, but the general point remains the same.
[/quote]I don''t like basing things on numbers plucked from the skyThere will also be a lot of variables in the contracts such as goal scoring bonuses and assist bonusesIt was widely reported Dempsey is on (at the very least) 55k - 80k a week.Not sure we are willing to pay those kind of wages.

Good shout NB. I''d have Dempsey in a flash. Perfect for the SS & AM roles and if needed he could put in a shift on the flanks OR as an out and out striker. knows the prem inside out so little bedding in time...and we all know how well he plays if a star in a side.

My Spurs pals who know their football rate him, it''s only the bandwagon jumping masses at WHL that believe he isn''t up to their standards...basically because he isn''t Bale.

Dempsey wears them out, then Hoolahan comes on and pull them all over the shop...lovely job.

Fact. His record last season at Spurs was one assist and one goal under VDV''s the season before...and he played less minutes.

[quote]
I don''t like basing things on numbers plucked from the sky[/quote]
Don''t tell me that Dempsey is said to be on £55k a week then! Either his rumoured wages are an issue or they are not.
[quote] Not sure we are willing to pay those kind of wages.[/quote]
That''s the entire point though, why not? If Spurs are giving him away, then his wages aren''t an issue, if the alternative is to pay £5m, £8m, whatever, on another player. 
Easy way around a ''wage cap''..... give him a big signing on fee. Simples. 

Seattle has big raucous fan base and may be after marquee player to up their profile.

If Dempsey wants home he''d sign with Dallas or Houston as he''s an East Texas boy, and Seattle is not much closer to home than London.

It would be a disappointment for American soccer fans if he left Europe while he''s at the top of his game. Not many of our guys play with the top high profile clubs over there.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Good shout NB. I''d have Dempsey in a flash. Perfect for the SS & AM roles and if needed he could put in a shift on the flanks OR as an out and out striker. knows the prem inside out so little bedding in time...and we all know how well he plays if a star in a side.

My Spurs pals who know their football rate him, it''s only the bandwagon jumping masses at WHL that believe he isn''t up to their standards...basically because he isn''t Bale.

Dempsey wears them out, then Hoolahan comes on and pull them all over the shop...lovely job.

Fact. His record last season at Spurs was one assist and one goal under VDV''s the season before...and he played less minutes.[/quote]
Well they will be in for a shock when Bale leaves and they suddenly realise how much they seriously miss Modric, Van Der Vaart, and Dempsey.
They really have become a one man team. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote]
Don''t tell me that Dempsey is said to be on £55k a week then! Either his rumoured wages are an issue or they are not.
That''s the entire point though, why not? If Spurs are giving him away, then his wages aren''t an issue, if the alternative is to pay £5m, £8m, whatever, on another player. 
[/quote]What I mean is, Yes he would clearly be a brilliant signing for us.But I can''t see us competing with the MLS, if they are going to increase his already substantial wages.If he wants to stay in the Prem however, then perhaps he is willing to cut his wages down.

[quote user="Houston Canary"] If Dempsey wants home he''d sign with Dallas or Houston as he''s an East Texas boy [/quote]
Do those teams have free designated player spots though? And the money to pay designated players? 
At least you now have Altidore back in the league, although something like 1 in 20 strikers do well at Sunderland, the other 19 ruin their careers. Somebody should have told him. 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote]
[/quote]What I mean is, Yes he would clearly be a brilliant signing for us.But I can''t see us competing with the MLS, if they are going to increase his already substantial wages.If he wants to stay in the Prem however, then perhaps he is willing to cut his wages down.[/quote]
I don''t know much about the MLS, but the only two teams with any sort of track record of signing superstars in recent years are New York Red Bulls and LA Galaxy. 
There are even teams who don''t have any designated players because they can''t afford them. I can''t see Seattle Sounders paying somebody $80k a week, perhaps the American guy above can clarify? Their other two designated players are Mauro Rosales and Obafemi Martins.
Obafemi Martins is their highest paid ever player on $1.6m a year. That''s about £21k a week.  
Unless they have suddenly had some billionaire backer willing to splash the cash, I severely doubt that they will go and make Dempsey one of the top three highest earners in the MLS.
Robbie Keane is on about £38k and Thierry Henry about £50k. 
Dempsey is a great player, but the point in Keane and Henry is to raise the global profile of the MLS. And they play for the richest two clubs. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote]
[/quote]What I mean is, Yes he would clearly be a brilliant signing for us.But I can''t see us competing with the MLS, if they are going to increase his already substantial wages.If he wants to stay in the Prem however, then perhaps he is willing to cut his wages down.[/quote]
I don''t know much about the MLS, but the only two teams with any sort of track record of signing superstars in recent years are New York Red Bulls and LA Galaxy. 
There are even teams who don''t have any designated players because they can''t afford them. I can''t see Seattle Sounders paying somebody $80k a week, perhaps the American guy above can clarify? Their other two designated players are Mauro Rosales and Obafemi Martins.
Obafemi Martins is their highest paid ever player on $1.6m a year. That''s about £21k a week.  
Unless they have suddenly had some billionaire backer willing to splash the cash, I severely doubt that they will go and make Dempsey one of the top three highest earners in the MLS.
Dempsey is a great player, but the point in Keane and Henry is to raise the global profile of the MLS. And they play for the richest two clubs. 
[/quote]http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2013/8/2/4584146/report-dempsey-deal-includes-9-million-transfer-fee-and-4-year-32Seems they came into some money from somewhere

Don''t know where Seattle will get the money but there are several teams with high salary players besides NY & LA. Maybe there is a new tv contract on the way. Sounders keeper was Kasey Keller who had a long successful career in the Bundesliga beforehand. He was paid very well by Seattle. Most of the big foreign based names that come to MLS are well on the downside of their careers. Dempsey has plenty left in the tank.

So to come to MLS now seems odd. He left Fulham for bigger and better things and now he''s leaving Spurs for Seattle?

Reading Canary is correct, I listened on radio talking about this move and it is serious money move which he couldn''t turn down.

Levy knows how much players are worth, he won''t turn down silly money either.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote]
[/quote]http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2013/8/2/4584146/report-dempsey-deal-includes-9-million-transfer-fee-and-4-year-32Seems they came into some money from somewhere[/quote]
Fair enough, perhaps they really have come into the money! 

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Don''t know where Seattle will get the money but there are several teams with high salary players besides NY & LA. Maybe there is a new tv contract on the way. Sounders keeper was Kasey Keller who had a long successful career in the Bundesliga beforehand. He was paid very well by Seattle. Most of the big foreign based names that come to MLS are well on the downside of their careers. Dempsey has plenty left in the tank.

So to come to MLS now seems odd. He left Fulham for bigger and better things and now he''s leaving Spurs for Seattle?[/quote]
Kasey Keller was on about $300k a year at Seattle, completely different transfer. He had gone past premiership standard by that point, Dempsey probably has two or three great years left at this level.
I think it''s a bit of a loss for the Premier League and I''m surprised to see Dempsey leave really, would have perhaps have seen it as more likely in a couple of years. Cahill, Keane and Henry all went across at about 32, all a bit past their best.
Here we seem to have a player going whilst still at his peak which is a major coup for the MLS, bit of a surprise really. He will be the best American player in the MLS now I guess.
Perhaps we can sign Landon Donovan instead then? He was wicked on loan at Everton and is on around £30k, more affordable!  

i met obafemi martins outside the place i was gigging the other day in Bellevue near Seattle. Its funny how no one knew who he was. Me and the rest of my band made a big deal in comparison getting photos and chatting to him. it seems Seattle are trying to rival LA and NY red bulls to be the biggest team. They have the stadium for it anyway!!

If he is going to play in the USA it is because that is what he wanted to do rather than there is a lack of interest and he had no choice. I can''t believe there would be no interest.

I''ll take your word on Keller''s wage but the people covering the MLS here sure made a big deal about him coming "home" to play out his career, as if landing him was some sort of coup.

Occasionally teams do throw ridiculous money at players. Beckham''s contract including outside ptlromotional money was supposedly half a billion bucks and his best days were definitely behind him although his image''s best days were still at their peak. If he exhaled after inhaling, it was front page news.

The league just announced it plans to add I think 4 teams by 2017 and the price per team purported to be $100 mil. MLS is CCC-quality. Are there any teams in CCC worth that? I think the league commissioner may have gone insane. But there is interest so maybe it''s the investors who''ve lost their minds, or maybe I''m just way WAY underestimating interest in pro soccer in the US and Canada.

[quote user="Houston Canary"] The league just announced it plans to add I think 4 teams by 2017 and the price per team purported to be $100 mil. MLS is CCC-quality. Are there any teams in CCC worth that? [/quote]
There are probably teams in the CCC that would be worth $100m if they were debt free, assuming they own their stadium (which most do). I doubt there are any debt free clubs in the championship though, most would be much closer to insolvency I assume.
I can remember reading that a US development league franchise (top tier) was quoted at $2m but read a forum thread which suggested that the franchisees seldom pay anywhere near that, with some saying a quarter of that being the typical price.
So I guess that $100m would be negotiable. America is weird to us Brits. Can''t you promote some teams from your lower divisions? You already have pro teams outside the MLS! 

[quote user="AJ"]Too old.[/quote]
Younger than both Quagriggela and Hoolahan. 

US/Canadian pro sports don''t promote and relegate between divisions like most soccer leagues I''m aware of do.

There are no lower division MLS or NFL or NBA or NHL or MLB teams like in England although individual players get farmed out to lower league teams associated with a particular major leagur team in hockey, baseball and basketball.

"The New Boy"

"AJ"Too old.

He''s a villa fan. Why he''s still lurking.........

[quote user="Herman "]"The New Boy"

"AJ"Too old.

He''s a villa fan. Why he''s still lurking.........[/quote]

Just commenting on a player either of our clubs could''ve been linked with in the tabloids.

To my mind, too old. I wouldn''t want to sign any player over the age of 25/26 now. That''s just my opinion

Long term solutions, not short term fixes

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="Herman "]"The New Boy"

"AJ"Too old.

He''s a villa fan. Why he''s still lurking.........[/quote]

Just commenting on a player either of our clubs could''ve been linked with in the tabloids.

To my mind, too old. I wouldn''t want to sign any player over the age of 25/26 now. That''s just my opinion

Long term solutions, not short term fixes[/quote]
Understandable for a Villa fan to be saying that, considering the amount of grossly overpaid deadwood that your club was lumbered with. But Fulham do pretty well out of signing thirty year olds, got a squad full of them. Shay Given on a four year deal on top whack was insane. 
Lambert is building young at Villa just like he did at Norwich, but he isn''t completely adverse to signing older players so don''t be too surprised if you end up with one or two at one stage. Aaron Wilbraham was 30 when he came here I believe.