Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

He was crap but we loved him anyway

Pretty self explanatory this one. Shocking players who played for Norwich but you forgave them everything because of their commitment to the cause. I would imagine Andy Hughes might get a strong mention in this one.

Don''t know why Hughes got/gets so much flack.

Some people just seem to expect too much, he''s a player who spent a large chunk of his career in the 2nd and 3rd tier, he''s not rubbish at all. Just not a superstar.

A lot of players who''s game revolves around 110% (as much as I don''t like using that) are often lacking in the technical ability department. Obviously not always the case as many of the top players have to put in that effort to be that good. But for players like Hughes, Crofts, Gary Holt, commitment and endless running is what they offer. They do a job, sometimes they have the ability to be a bit more useful (Crofts bursting forward, Hughes at FB) but a lot of the time, especially at lower levels they are just running machines.

You even get it with the likes of Milner and Barry, not the best technical players both have ability that''s why they lay for Man.C and England, but much if their praise has been gained from the effort they out in, rather than their actual ability.

Anyway, I always liked Fozzy.

Cody McDonald surely has to be the winner of this? 
I always had a soft spot for Anthony McNamee, despite him being a bit - well - pants.

Adrian Forbes was also out of his depth in the Championship (League One was more his level), but everybody loved him, he hated people singing "Ruel, Ruel, Ruel". 

Clint Easton, he was definitely crap but that season we made the playoff final I always liked him (maybe I felt sorry for him, I remember him getting a lot of stick at times from our support!) for pulling off a maradonna turn in the run up (or maybe at the final, I can''t remember) and getting a massive cheer from our support!

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]Was Lee Croft over rated?[/quote]
Well he was definitely overweight. 

[quote user="The New Boy"]"Anyway, I always liked Fozzy"
FFS!
[/quote]

What? Do you always swear when someone says they like a player you don''t?

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="The New Boy"]"Anyway, I always liked Fozzy"
FFS!
[/quote]

What? Do you always swear when someone says they like a player you don''t?[/quote]
No, only when that player is Mark Fotheringham. 

The thing with Hughes was he could he could be involved in some interplay and the final ball which was the simplest to execute he would give it to the opposition. Nooooooooooooooooo!

H

It''s not his fault Roeder is a useless man manager(/manager in general) and forefronted him as one of ''his players''.

He could actually play football. I still remember one game in particular, he had been out injured for a couple months, fairly sure he returned against Leicster at home. He played like Fox on one of his better days. Always available to recieve the ball, passing was impeccable. He showed signs of that, but developed an arrogance (which appears to still be with him despite many set backs and I should think humiliations in the clubs that have ditched him) and rarely broke into a sweat.

Roeder seemed to like machines more than men.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]It''s not his fault Roeder is a useless man manager(/manager in general) and forefronted him as one of ''his players''.

He could actually play football. I still remember one game in particular, he had been out injured for a couple months, fairly sure he returned against Leicster at home. He played like Fox on one of his better days. Always available to recieve the ball, passing was impeccable. He showed signs of that, but developed an arrogance (which appears to still be with him despite many set backs and I should think humiliations in the clubs that have ditched him) and rarely broke into a sweat.

Roeder seemed to like machines more than men.[/quote]
Look, I''ve been reading this forum for a very long time and I agree with a lot of things that you say. But we aren''t ever going to agree on this one. 

Why do people post things like that?

Ways the point posting on a forum at all if you don''t want other people''s opinion? I never said you should agree with me, never said I want you to agree with me. You disagreed with me, so I gave you my reasons. Isn''t that what a message board is for?

I really, really don''t get why people post things like you have New Boy (and also, was going to say before have really enjoyed reading your recent posts, very sensible generally). If you don''t want to know someone''s opinion, don''t reply...

Mark Rivers!!!

Was trying to remember his name. Used to love Rivers. Anyone know what he''s up to now? I''ve asked before, can''t remember if I got an answer. Asked Iwan on twitter once too, he didn''t know.

Couldn''t cross to save his life, me and my Grandad still use Rivers crossing as a reference when someone puts a dodgy one in (or, more often, out). But still, loved him.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why do people post things like that?

Ways the point posting on a forum at all if you don''t want other people''s opinion? I never said you should agree with me, never said I want you to agree with me. You disagreed with me, so I gave you my reasons. Isn''t that what a message board is for?

I really, really don''t get why people post things like you have New Boy (and also, was going to say before have really enjoyed reading your recent posts, very sensible generally). If you don''t want to know someone''s opinion, don''t reply...[/quote]
It was the quick way of saying that I will never agree instead of writing two hundred words on why I disagree. That was me trying to be civil, the only other option was to tell you precisely why I disagreed, and then I''d have been accused of arguing! So it was lose-lose for me really, weren''t it?
You are welcome to your opinion of Fozzy dude, but I do think you fall within a firm minority. 

Akinbiyicame on against Pompey one Xmas game and hoofed it over the bara player who had everything a footballer could want

apart from ability, skill, timing, judgement, technique.......................

watch here

I agree I think fozzy was actually decent on his day, but they were few and far between. Whether that was rodent or just him we will never no.

Its all relative really isn''t it?

McVeigh''s second stint.

Doherty.

Malky Makay. I say that expecting to get slaughtered. The man was a warrior, a true gent but his distribution could be awful. As an old fashioned stopper he was more than fine, you just hoped Fleming was there to get the ball rolling.

Mulryan - after his injury. Was never the same but you just hoped he could be.

Adrian Coote.

I fail to see how Gary Holt or Bradley Johnson could be described as crap.

Fozzy was complete ar$ecakes, never lived up to his self generated hype and I don''t remember many people loving him.

I will give you Oli Johnson, just for his great hair.

Oh and does anyone actually remember former midfielder Ian Murray? For the life of me I can''t remember him ever playing for us, or maybe I have just blocked out the Roeder years.