Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The Championship

Given we''ve a few of our latter day heroes wafting about the championship, I for one will be following it a lot closer than previous seasons.  Always on the look out for ex-Norwich players on the scorecard anyway,  but now have more reason than ever.    Holt and Barnett off to a flyer for Wigan, too.  Bournemputh also won.  Those would be my ideal top two.  But third?  Maybe Derby with the Clough connection.  Anyone else got any preferences?  Doncaster?   

QPR?  [:S]

...............................Ipswich?  [:O]

I would like to see Mark Robins do well at Huddersfield.

I will still look out for a certain other fixture first though and in this respect I have heard that there are flood warnings in the Beccles area of Suffolk as a result of spray from the massive bubble that burst over the Portman Road area of Ipswich yesterday.

It''s really sad how empty a lot of these once full stadiums are.A sign of these bad economic times I guess.The gap between the Prem and Championship is just massive now.The quality in some of the games this weekend really has been lacking.The problem for relegated teams is that the league is just so physical and long. QPR and Wigan especially have teams which on paper look like they could walk it.... but it''ll be interesting to see how the physical drain of the Championship effects their promotion hopes.I can''t even stomach the idea of returning to that league. The late late late late football show, the lack of money, the lack of national / international recognition and the quality of players we could bring in.Watching this weekend has just enforced my belief that survival in the Prem will be our main target for the next few seasons until we can properly claim we are established. I''d be truly gutted to return anytime soon.

I think its quite interesting that every player we''ve let go over the past year or so are now playing back in the Championship and not with another Premier league side (exeption of Wilbraham!).  None of them ,with the possible exeption of Holt are what you would call past their peak age wise either. What it does display is how much we must have over acheived ,if not last season, certainly the season before with a squad of essentially Championship players??!

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I''ve got to ask, what clough connection?[/quote]

Its not a Norwich connection.   Its more of  a romantic idealist one.  I and most people who remember the success Derby had with Brian Clough in the seventies, will have fond memories of Derby and then Notts Forest beating up the "big" clubs.    The fact that his son is now manager at Derby  -  and he is also the longest serving manager in the Championship atm - is enough for me to have a soft spot for that club.   Still only third behind Wigan and Bournemouth though........

I think the Chrissy Martin connection might be a bit more relevant.

I will be following Wiqan too, I am delighted for Holty and Barnet.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Looking forward to the Charity Shield when Holt will get to bully Man Utd.[/quote]Avoid twitter that day though. Leeds, Villa and Ipswich fans will be out in force if they win it"more trophies in a month at Wigan than all his time at norwich" etc etcNot that I care, but i''m sure plenty of Norwich fans will bite !

Got 2 Norwich connections at my local team York City - Worthington and Ryan Jarvis. Jarvis actually scored the winner on Saturday against last season''s promotion hopefuls Northampton. Would really love to see them do well this season

Henri Lansbury at Forest.
In the SPL there are two former Norwich players at Hibernian...... Michael Nelson and Owain Tudor Jones.

[quote user="The New Boy"]In the SPL there are two former Norwich players at Hibernian...... Michael Nelson and Owain Tudor Jones.[/quote].....who got booed off the pitch after losing at home to Motherwell yesterday..........just one week after getting booed off the pitch after losing at home 0-7 to Malmo. [:''(]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="refjezdavies"]I''ve got to ask, what clough connection?[/quote]

Its not a Norwich connection.   Its more of  a romantic idealist one.  I and most people who remember the success Derby had with Brian Clough in the seventies, will have fond memories of Derby and then Notts Forest beating up the "big" clubs.    The fact that his son is now manager at Derby  -  and he is also the longest serving manager in the Championship atm - is enough for me to have a soft spot for that club.   Still only third behind Wigan and Bournemouth though........

[/quote]

Oh right got ya