Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Too many high profile strikers?

Just was curious if you think it might do more damage than good. If Fabio came here I am sure we would have 3 strikers wanting minutes and playing only one up front do you want players getting upset with lack of opportunity. Trust me I want us having as much quality as possible but I do worry with them being big names they might not want to settle for the bench as a part time role player. I still think we need a quality defender. Seen too many easy goals this pre-season.

I think it has been said around 100 times, but once more for luck. Quagliarella plays in a deeper role, and would in reality replace Hoolahan. RvW and Hooper will most likely be going head-to-head for the striker role. With one or the other coming off the bench if a goal is needed (maybe both starting in games against teams like Palace who will probably want to get a point).

Norwich lack a little creativity, Hoolahan is a great player, but struggled last season when was relied on every game for the creative edge - hence Norwich relying on set pieces for a lot of goals.

If Hughton''s setting us up based on last season then i would argue that he wants clinical strikers who will take their (few?) clear cut chances.

Top players come alive when the pressure is on them, so i would disagree on that basis.

I think Hoolahan and Hooper have the potential to naturally blend into a great partnership which will yield goals, so, if that alone happens and we don''t sign Quag then we''re already looking at having an upset Dutchman sat on the bench.

It''s a tough life (All that money, eh?!) and whoever sits it out will have to deal with it, and prove their worth when called.

To be fair, Hughton''s a top guy by all accounts so could deal with the situation if we found ourselves with a ''pro'' toy thrower.

If we signed a player like Toivonen (can''t spell lol) i think that would be more a concern, great player, but potential atttude.

Wow we are allowed decent players on the bench too.Just because Hooper starts one game doesn''t mean it is confirmed that van Wolfswinkel will never start for us ever. Also Quagliarella will play behind whoever is starting up front.

We are also not allowing for a system change here as pointed out in the previous posts. We could well play with two up top, Quag behind the striker (should we get him) with a long season and a potential cup run I would rather quality throughout the team and bench and let Hughton sort out any potential upset than be scratching around for that bit of quality when our first choice players are tired, injured or suspended.

Said before with one up front with Wes and Snoddy in Midfield everyone would know they wouldn''t shoot Pilks was good the previous season but a bit hit and miss last year.

We need serious goal threat from Central midfield to allow a lone striker to find space otherwise we are too predictable.

Does the potential to have too much quality in any given position bother any other team? It is massively unlikely that a single striker will retain the shirt all season. There could be injuries, suspensions, fatigue, substitutions, formation changes, loss of form. When the disgruntled quality striker gets his chance it is up to him to take it and to prove why it was a mistake to leave him on the bench.

Mistake buying too much quality....pfffft!

"We need serious goal threat from Central midfield to allow a lone striker to find space otherwise we are too predictable."

I think Fer will be an improvement in that regard as well as providing better service to the strikers. Hopefully Howson will continue his improved form of late as well, but it would be good to have a goalscoring presence playing behind the striker(s).

As we have only three strikers, and Becchio is yet to demonstrate much in the EPL, if one striker is out injured and a second during a match, we are reduced to a single striker - presumably Becchio. 

Three strikers are not enough. There may come games when we are pressing, say for an equaliser, and we need to throw everything forward - two or perhaps even three strikers.

Three strikers are not enough, the two in possession need the presence of two others to challenge them to perform. With due respects to Becchio, we need another very good and proven striker.

We need four strikers that the manager is willing to play, at the moment we have two. Otherwise, we will likely be faced with a season of 4-5-1, setting up away from home as if the opposition is Barcelona with the objective of a nicking a point. More worrying still would be if the post-Newcastle approach of banking the draw is followed again. I''m hoping for 4-4-2 against Everton with both RvW and Hooper to help get us off to a winning start for the first time in many, many years.