Sign in to follow this  
Stuart Jarrold

Away Ticketing System

Only Arsenal was oversubscribed last season; no tickets went on general sale for QPR beyond the ballot but we only took one tier this season compared to the whole stand the previous year. Demand was very significantly lower last season not helped by us setting up as if we were playing Barcelona rather than Reading, Wigan or Stoke to name but three.

If we get another couple of attacking players in before the transfer window closes, the manager will, hopefully, attempt to win these type of matches this season. Only then will the arrangements for the allocation of away tickets be anymore than a theoretical debate.

...or the economy improves, workers get pay rises for the first time in years, petrol, energy, ticket and food prices come down and people in general are more optimistic, with spare cash on the hip.

Not sure the economy will improve anytime soon unfortunately Herman - the extant strategy of ''bleed the patient some more'' has failed imo - but Stoke''s bold strategy of paying for travel to all away games should help more supporters to travel.

However, it is worth noting that even with the club paying for coach travel to Hull - for the first game of the season - we still had 400 tickets going on general out of a small total allocation of 2500. I think it''s a combination of footballing, economic and familiarity reasons that have led to the significant reduction of interest in our away games.

This is the first year since 2006 i''ve not had a railcard. I don''t own a car and trains seem stupidly more expensive now, meaning i''ll struggle to get to many away games this season. It''s a real shame because travelling from Sheffield down to Norwich just to take in a home game is wildly expensive (getting on for £150 by the time everything is factored in) so is a bit of a non-starter. Still, i''m looking forward to Hull and if i''m careful I can probably still squeeze in a few more away days. Unforunately, marching across the country with the yellow army is becoming more and more of a luxury for me.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Not sure the economy will improve anytime soon unfortunately Herman - the extant strategy of ''bleed the patient some more'' has failed imo - but Stoke''s bold strategy of paying for travel to all away games should help more supporters to travel.

However, it is worth noting that even with the club paying for coach travel to Hull - for the first game of the season - we still had 400 tickets going on general out of a small total allocation of 2500. I think it''s a combination of footballing, economic and familiarity reasons that have led to the significant reduction of interest in our away games.[/quote]I think you forgot the mostly truly diabolical away displays we endured last season., particularly after Christmas.Yes, we''ve got far more quality in the side now but people have long memories and unless we come out with much more intent this term I suspect there''ll be even more of a reduction in interest in the games to come.

[quote user="Rotherham Canary"]This is the first year since 2006 i''ve not had a railcard. I don''t own a car and trains seem stupidly more expensive now, meaning i''ll struggle to get to many away games this season. It''s a real shame because travelling from Sheffield down to Norwich just to take in a home game is wildly expensive (getting on for £150 by the time everything is factored in) so is a bit of a non-starter. Still, i''m looking forward to Hull and if i''m careful I can probably still squeeze in a few more away days. Unforunately, marching across the country with the yellow army is becoming more and more of a luxury for me.[/quote]Is there no one in the area to car share with, Im in the same situation as you, but Ive found a couple of lads that live in Leeds, and we split the costs

@ Smith must score - you are absolutely correct in what you say, I was trying to put a positive gloss on it! I too went to all of those games, if we set up, again, as if we''re playing Barcelona each week, regardless of the opposition, and set out with only a Plan A of defend the 0-0, then numbers will undoutedly continue to drip away.

"Highland Canary"@ Smith must score - you are absolutely correct in what you say, I was trying to put a positive gloss on it! I too went to all of those games, if we set up, again, as if we''re playing Barcelona each week, regardless of the opposition, and set out with only a Plan A of defend the 0-0, then numbers will undoutedly continue to drip away.

I think you were right in your second post. A mixture of reasons has lead to a drop off, not just the crappy quality of football.

The away support was always going to drop the longer we stayed in the prem. Our two successive promotions helped accumulate the big away following. Surviving in the premier league was never going to be so exciting but the first year gave younger fans an opportunity to see the famous stadiums.

Herman, I think the three factors in order of significance are (1) footballing approach (2) familiarity with PL (3) economic factors. I was surprised that as many as 400 tickets went on general sale with free coach travel and a points total of only 1150 given the total allocation was only 2500. I really hope we go all out to try and win these type of matches this season.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]@ Smith must score - you are absolutely correct in what you say, I was trying to put a positive gloss on it! I too went to all of those games, if we set up, again, as if we''re playing Barcelona each week, regardless of the opposition, and set out with only a Plan A of defend the 0-0, then numbers will undoutedly continue to drip away.[/quote]To be fair HC you did say that footballing reasons was one of the factors in the fall off of away support. I need to go to Specsavers..... I''d agree too that it''s probably the primary reason. If the football on display is dire week in week out then fans are going to vote with their feet especially as it''s an expensive day out. I sometimes wonder how teams like Stoke have any away following at all, or in their case home support either.Agree too with Nutty. The novelty of a '' new '' League does wear off after a while and fans get used to the new level be it Premier League or League One ( which fortunately we didn''t have to discover for ourselves.)