Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Javier Garrido

Has anybody else got the feeling that Garrido will struggle for games this year?
It''s an odd one, isn''t it? Almost as if we were contractually obliged to buy him at a pre-arranged fee and on a pre-agreed contract, because Olsson is obviously his replacement.
I''ve been a bit underwhelmed by Garrido and Hughton likely has to (what with him being a former top class left back himself). Would it be normal for a club to choose to sign Garrido on a permanent even if the intention was to replace him, or would we otherwise have signed a cheaper (possibly young) left back as cover?It just seems a little unusual to have too very high profile left backs, probably both very well paid, at the same time? Although I guess that continuity is healthy and too much change is not. 
I just have the feeling that Garrido only has this one season left. Could prove me wrong of course, it was said when he arrived that he was an attacking full back with an excellent cross, and perhaps we will see a better Garrido in a more direct team? But still, Olsson is naturally blessed with pace and has been known to score goals, so even in a more direct team - Olsson would seem the obvious candidate? 
I suppose it is a nice position to be in, in a way, but there is also the potential that we will just be left with a very handsomely paid reserve player here? Reminds me a little of Robert Green + Julio Cesar at QPR..... two big players, one place on the pitch. 

Believe the deal was if he played over 25 games last season then we had to sign him, it was then down to Garrido if he chose to join us, he was always going to play more games than Tierney so tied ourselves up with this one, still a million times better than tierney though!

[quote user="The New Boy"]Has anybody else got the feeling that Garrido will struggle for games this year?

It''s an odd one, isn''t it? Almost as if we were contractually obliged to buy him at a pre-arranged fee and on a pre-agreed contract, because Olsson is obviously his replacement.

I''ve been a bit underwhelmed by Garrido and Hughton likely has to (what with him being a former top class left back himself). Would it be normal for a club to choose to sign Garrido on a permanent even if the intention was to replace him, or would we otherwise have signed a cheaper (possibly young) left back as cover?

It just seems a little unusual to have too very high profile left backs, probably both very well paid, at the same time? Although I guess that continuity is healthy and too much change is not. 

I just have the feeling that Garrido only has this one season left. Could prove me wrong of course, it was said when he arrived that he was an attacking full back with an excellent cross, and perhaps we will see a better Garrido in a more direct team? But still, Olsson is naturally blessed with pace and has been known to score goals, so even in a more direct team - Olsson would seem the obvious candidate? 

I suppose it is a nice position to be in, in a way, but there is also the potential that we will just be left with a very handsomely paid reserve player here? Reminds me a little of Robert Green + Julio Cesar at QPR..... two big players, one place on the pitch. 

[/quote]

Norwich were contractually obliged to buy him - the player said so himself (although I''m guessing you knew and the question was a little tounge in cheek).

Olsson is a better left back and will be in the starting 11 come 17th August if he is fit. I wouldn''t call Garrido particulary ''high profile'' and I wouldn''t imagine he is particulary high paid, he has been a back up more than starter ever since leaving Spain.

We don''t need to sign ''cover'' anymore. It''s all about competition.

Olsson can play anywhere down the left. At times last season we really struggled on the left hand side. We tried E.Bennett and Snodgrass on the left when Pills was injured and we tried Whittaker and Martin when Garrido was injured. We now have competition and choice down the left hand side.

Garrido is a classy full back. Strangely underrated by some.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="The New Boy"]Has anybody else got the feeling that Garrido will struggle for games this year?

I''ve been a bit underwhelmed by Garrido and Hughton likely has to (what with him being a former top class left back himself). Would it be normal for a club to choose to sign Garrido on a permanent even if the intention was to replace him, or would we otherwise have signed a cheaper (possibly young) left back as cover?It just seems a little unusual to have too very high profile left backs, probably both very well paid, at the same time? Although I guess that continuity is healthy and too much change is not. 

[/quote]

Norwich were contractually obliged to buy him - the player said so himself (although I''m guessing you knew and the question was a little tounge in cheek).

Olsson is a better left back and will be in the starting 11 come 17th August if he is fit. I wouldn''t call Garrido particulary ''high profile'' and I wouldn''t imagine he is particulary high paid, he has been a back up more than starter ever since leaving Spain.

[/quote]
No, no, no. Allow me to explain. We were aware that we had agreed a fee with Lazio for Garrido and were obliged to buy him if he played a certain number of games and he decided that he want to come, but what must also have been in place is a pre-agreed contract with Garrido.
So, Norwich obliged to offer Lazio £2.5m for Garrido if he plays 25 games. Check. But if we didn''t want him then we''d just offer him £95 a week, Karl Oyston style, wouldn''t we?
So we must also have agreed a contract with Garrido, which were were contractually obliged to offer if he played 25 games. So, for example, £15k a week for two years. 
The finer details we do not know. My point really is that we appear to have been contractually obliged to sign Garrido, yet wanted to replace him, and as a result we have been left with too likely very well paid left backs. One of who may well become surplus to requirements, or as close to that as possible. 
This isn''t actually a great example of financial management is it? We don''t appear to get everything right. We have placed the ball in their court, rather than in ours. So we gave Lazio and Garrido the option of him signing for us, rather than them giving us the option to sign him? Seems a little backwards to me. 

It is very smart to have two good LB, you might find that Garrido will play a lot in cup games and he will be cover for Olsson in the prem. There is also the option of Olsson playing left wing with Garrido behind.
In terms of the contract I have no idea but I doubt he would have cost us much and I doubt he is on mega money. Also he is an upgrade to Mark plus I think we can all agree that at the start of last season LB was one week area. We have now strengthened that area and as the gaffa said its all about improving on what we have in every area on the pitch. 

[quote user="chicken"] Garrido is a classy full back. Strangely underrated by some.[/quote]
He is decent enough when not facing somebody who is naturally blessed with pace or skill. Redmond or Snodgrass would tear him to shreds if they were facing him. Pilkington probably wouldn''t. 
Garrido has looked woeful at times. The thing that I do like about him is that he is always open to receiving the ball and never shirks away in that respect, even if he is having a stinker. 
I rate him as nothing other than ''decent'' at this level. We have yet to see much evidence of his excellent crossing abilities, which we were sold when he signed. 

[quote user="YellowBlood"] I doubt he is on mega money. [/quote]
His last two clubs have been Lazio and Man City, so I suspect he is comfortably on Premier League wages. Certainly going to be on double Tierney''s money I''d have thought?

I think you have that the wrong way around.

Snodgrass isn''t naturally blessed with great pace, in fact neither is Pilkington exactly but he is faster than Snodgrass.

As for really over fast full backs, only some of the best are truly rapid. Bale was too quick for that position and now plays wing/forward.

That cross for pilks was pretty excellent from where I was sitting.

He has never looked woeful, and has been a very steady consistent player that solved our LB problem. He''s very good attacking when given the opportunity and that''s hopefully something we''ll see more of this season.

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="The New Boy"]Has anybody else got the feeling that Garrido will struggle for games this year?

I''ve been a bit underwhelmed by Garrido and Hughton likely has to (what with him being a former top class left back himself). Would it be normal for a club to choose to sign Garrido on a permanent even if the intention was to replace him, or would we otherwise have signed a cheaper (possibly young) left back as cover?

It just seems a little unusual to have too very high profile left backs, probably both very well paid, at the same time? Although I guess that continuity is healthy and too much change is not. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, no, no. Allow me to explain. We were aware that we had agreed a fee with Lazio for Garrido and were obliged to buy him if he played a certain number of games and he decided that he want to come, but what must also have been in place is a pre-agreed contract with Garrido.

So, Norwich obliged to offer Lazio £2.5m for Garrido if he plays 25 games. Check. But if we didn''t want him then we''d just offer him £95 a week, Karl Oyston style, wouldn''t we?

So we must also have agreed a contract with Garrido, which were were contractually obliged to offer if he played 25 games. So, for example, £15k a week for two years. 

The finer details we do not know. My point really is that we appear to have been contractually obliged to sign Garrido, yet wanted to replace him, and as a result we have been left with too likely very well paid left backs. One of who may well become surplus to requirements, or as close to that as possible. 

This isn''t actually a great example of financial management is it? We don''t appear to get everything right. We have placed the ball in their court, rather than in ours. So we gave Lazio and Garrido the option of him signing for us, rather than them giving us the option to sign him? Seems a little backwards to me. 

[/quote]

I see, without knowing the finer details it is hard to speculate - but let''s give it a go anyway.

Norwich needed two left backs this summer, Garrido has proved he is capable, although hasn''t excelled (in my opinion) - £2.5m for a good experienced left back is a fair price, and by agreeing the terms at the beginning of the loan it meant Lazio couldn''t suddenly up the price for the player later. As for wages, as I said before, I really don''t think he is going to be a particulary high earner - wages in Italy aren''t massive (as shown by Quagliarella being on about £30k a week) and any pre-agreed contract would have been signed when Norwich weren''t in such a strong position.

I''m sure Norwich would have rather had more control over the transfer, and I do suspect if there wasn''t a pre-agreement in place signing Garrido or not wouldn''t have been a cut and dry decision, but the loan agreement might never have been possible without the attached commitment to buy the player. If the price of £2.5m is correct (which is only a specualted price), then Norwich have a perfectly able, back-up left back, at the going market rate. If Norwich hadn''t signed Garrido, they would have to spend the fee and wages on another player in the same position.

[quote user="chicken"]We don''t need to sign ''cover'' anymore. It''s all about competition. Olsson can play anywhere down the left. At times last season we really struggled on the left hand side. We tried E.Bennett and Snodgrass on the left when Pills was injured and we tried Whittaker and Martin when Garrido was injured. We now have competition and choice down the left hand side. Garrido is a classy full back. Strangely underrated by some.[/quote]

Exactly with knobs on.

There are now also a few signs that Alexander Tettey is to become the victim of being singled out in a similarly destructive way. 

Both Garrido and Tettey were absolute stars for us last season. We gushed about their immediate impact (just remember who they replaced) and we acclaimed their contribution to our successes. Garrido was a ''Mr. Consistency'', whilst Tettey''s injury was cleary a big set back for him. 

Neither become lesser players because the squad is being strengthened.

Not sure why Garrido is so underated.     He featured in a defence that had a long unbeaten run, even through the poor run we were often good in defence.   He has a fantastic left foot and free-kick.  We have Snodgrass though, who insists on taking most of the free-kicks, which I think is a mistake. Both Pilks and Garrido have a good if not better free-kick in them than Snodgrass, who at best is inconsistent (yes, I know he scored from free kicks last season) - just my opinion.   Just wish they would share it out more.

So just because we get Olsson,  Garrido is now pushed out?   I don''t think so.  I think we now have good competition between the two of them.  Either of them can do a great job - and that is surely the point of our development - to have as good a competition between players for a start in the team as possible.    The aim of the exercise is to have at least two players for each position - either of them who can do the job.     Martin/Whittaker on the right,  Ollson/garrido on the left and so on through the team.   

I like Garrido,   he isn''t sometimes as all action as some players, but on his day can be a match winner - a telling cross or a free-kick - I think we will see better from him this season, especially now as he has more competition for his place.

Me: 
[quote user="The New Boy"] He is decent enough when not facing somebody who is naturally blessed with pace or skill. Redmond or Snodgrass would tear him to shreds. [/quote]
You:
[quote user="chicken"]I think you have that the wrong way around.

Snodgrass isn''t naturally blessed with great pace [/quote]
Please read things properly. 

[quote user="Curious Orange"]That cross for pilks was pretty excellent from where I was sitting. .[/quote]
A brief glimpse. 
[quote] He has never looked woeful [/quote]
Looked pretty woeful when torn apart at Loftus Road by Shaun Wright-Phillips from where I was sitting. 
[quote] He''s very good attacking when given the opportunity and that''s hopefully something we''ll see more of this season.[/quote]
Well this is my hope, that he will thrive in a more direct team. I guess we will have to wait and see which one of Olsson and Garrido gels best with Redmond and Pilkington, remains to be seen. 

[quote user="The New Boy"]
Me: 
[quote user="The New Boy"] He is decent enough when not facing somebody who is naturally blessed with pace or skill. Redmond or Snodgrass would tear him to shreds. [/quote]
You:

[/quote]

?????  But Snodgrass isn''t blessed with great pace, yet he would tear up Garrido??  Something wrong there.  

[quote user="lake district canary"] Both Pilks and Garrido have a good if not better free-kick in them than Snodgrass, who at best is inconsistent (yes, I know he scored from free kicks last season) - just my opinion.   Just wish they would share it out more.[/quote]
Actually I have to agree with something there. Pilkington is just as dangerous as Snodgrass from direct free kicks and I too wish that he would take more of them. They should sit down and map out some zones, Snodgrass take them from the right and Pilkington from the left or something. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The New Boy"]
Me: 
[quote user="The New Boy"] He is decent enough when not facing somebody who is naturally blessed with pace OR skill. Redmond or Snodgrass would tear him to shreds. [/quote]
You:

[/quote]?????  But Snodgrass isn''t blessed with great pace, yet he would tear up Garrido??  Something wrong there.   [/quote]
Has the word OR been removed from the English language? 

I think people are being harsh on Garrido.

I think he oozes class and hiss biggest attribute is his brain and positioning. He is the best non tackling full back we have ever had (does that make sense ?) He doesn''t jump in, more often than not he is in the right place and makes his opponent make decisions (he doesn''t make them for them)

He positions himself well to cover the shot or cross and narrows angles and waits for the mistakes.

If Ollson is an upgrade on that then great but with Garrido in the team I know we will be solid if unspectacular on that flank.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"] He is the best non tackling full back we have ever had (does that make sense ?) [/quote]
I guess so, in the sense that my broken iPhone 4 is the best broken iPhone 4 that I''ve ever had. Or my crappy Fiesta is the best crappy Fiesta that I''ve ever had. 

The words ''Garrido'' ''Best'', ''Left Back'' and ''Ever'' should not be used in the same sentence no matter what the context. Our best left back of the past thirty was Mark Bowen, closely followed by a 25 to 28 year old Adam Drury who was comfortably Premier League material. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="chicken"] Garrido is a classy full back. Strangely underrated by some.[/quote]

He is decent enough when not facing somebody who is naturally blessed with pace or skill. Redmond or Snodgrass would tear him to shreds if they were facing him. Pilkington probably wouldn''t. 

[/quote]

Pilkington is very naturally skilful. Since we''ve been in the Prem he''s made a mug of some of the best fullbacks in the game with his twists and turns.

He''s also quite pacey. With the ball he''s quick over a short distance but probably would get caught carrying the ball over a long distance. When he gets into a sprint without the ball he is very quick.

I''d rather play against Snodgrass than him.

[quote user="The New Boy"]Has the word OR been removed from the English language? [/quote]

No, but your statement was at best unclear, ambiguous enough for at least two people to question it..................

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The New Boy"]Has the word OR been removed from the English language? [/quote]No, but your statement was at best unclear, ambiguous enough for at least two people to question it..................[/quote]
You mean to complex for two people with a reading age of 5 to comprehend it.

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The New Boy"]Has the word OR been removed from the English language? [/quote]No, but your statement was at best unclear, ambiguous enough for at least two people to question it..................[/quote]
You mean to complex for two people with a reading age of 5 to comprehend it.
[/quote]
This is awkward..... *too. 

I don''t agree that Garrido gets beaten for skill a lot.

It also makes me shudder to think that we didn''t want to sign Garrido but had to in the end. Or that Olsson is just going to waltz in and take his position.

If you really believe any of that you need to watch some of last seasons games again.

He is a good passer of the ball, a good crossed, good with the ball at his feet and has a good bit of skill. He might not posses blistering pace but in many other ways he is a very solid no nonsense defender. As has been said he doesn''t dive in and surrender his flank like Tierney made a habit of.

Olsson, if you have seen him play before, is probably better going forward and has more pace but I''m not sure that he is as defensively sound as Garrido.

Having both of them gives us options and competition, I think it''s an insult to Hughton to assume that Garrido is that lowly thought of.

[quote]

Pilkington is very naturally skilful. Since we''ve been in the Prem he''s made a mug of some of the best fullbacks in the game with his twists and turns.

[/quote]
Yeah but is much less effective on the right, and Garrido is a left back.  
I''d almost certainly rather play against Pilkington than Snodgrass, once Snodgrass enters the 18 yard box you have no chance. Hopefully he will enter it a bit more next season.
I absolutely love both of them though, and for me Pilkington is still first choice if he can put his injury problems behind him. Pilkington to tire out the full back, Redmond on for the last fifteen, what an exciting prospect.  

[quote user="chicken"] I think it''s an insult to Hughton to assume that Garrido is that lowly thought of. [/quote]
I''m sure that he will appreciate you getting insulted on his behalf, it saves him a lot of time. You are doing your club a huge service by taking that weight off of his shoulders.
Opinions are like ar*ehol*s, we all have one. Mine is obviously different to yours, but if you don''t mind I will skip on comparing them. 

[quote user="chicken"]I don''t agree that Garrido gets beaten for skill a lot. It also makes me shudder to think that we didn''t want to sign Garrido but had to in the end. Or that Olsson is just going to waltz in and take his position. If you really believe any of that you need to watch some of last seasons games again. He is a good passer of the ball, a good crossed, good with the ball at his feet and has a good bit of skill. He might not posses blistering pace but in many other ways he is a very solid no nonsense defender. As has been said he doesn''t dive in and surrender his flank like Tierney made a habit of. Olsson, if you have seen him play before, is probably better going forward and has more pace but I''m not sure that he is as defensively sound as Garrido. Having both of them gives us options and competition, I think it''s an insult to Hughton to assume that Garrido is that lowly thought of.[/quote]

For me, Garrido had a really good start to the season, but started to tail off later on.

The game NewBoy mentioned, against QPR was his worst single performance, the shocking back pass to Bunn was just of a few major mistakes he made that game. I also remember him making another horrid back pass in another game, although can''t remember which one now.

Garrido seems to lose concentration at times and can often be seen a couple of yards behind the defensive line playing everyone onside, or he is out too wide giving players too much space (he did this against Sunderland away). Whilst he isn''t a bad player, improvement was needed and Martin Olsson is certainly a step-up, he is very good going forward but certainly isn''t a bad defender. I''m confident he''ll be number one choice by the beginning of the season.

No need to be a moron.

The role of a full back can be operated successfully in a number of ways (defensively) Some use pace and strength to tackle or muscle players off the ball. Garridos skill is in his positioning, he is beaten less often than Martin/Whittaker not because he is quicker but because more often than not he is in the right place at the right time.