Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

Football twitter fans map

If you change the ''remove tweets after'' scroll bar to ''a week'', you can see there is a fair amount of us scattered around the country.

I''d be interested to know who it is tweeting about NCFC from just around the corner from me in Oxford.

Manchester Utd are the biggest club in the country so no real surprise there??

Scary would be the number of Chelsea fans scattered about....

Nice to see Arsenal dominate London though. Chelsea aren´t even the biggest club in London!

Good piece of kit, my initial concern would be over the how the tweet is deduced to determine their club, as a for instance, Ronaldo signs for UTD and tweeters post many tweets regarding #MUFC - would this indicate they are a MUFC fan or simply tweeting ABOUT MUFC? If so, a good piece of kit for a different application.Please put me right if I am wrong though....

Sorry, me again.If that were the case (or possibly an addition to the site) could you add all the #''s associated with football to create a "Football Heat Map" to show which areas of the country are most passionate about football - would be quite interesting.

[quote user="JayNCFC"]Sorry, me again.If that were the case (or possibly an addition to the site) could you add all the #''s associated with football to create a "Football Heat Map" to show which areas of the country are most passionate about football - would be quite interesting.[/quote]Cheers. I really like that idea. Also in answer to your previous point. I, like you, was skeptical as to whether people tweeting hashtags would actually be fans. But the majority are hopefully over the course the other tweets will be a small minority

Wow, what a good idea and execution. Would really like to know who the Portsmouth tweeter is and if the one near Swindon is me.

Quick question, how accurate is the map?

Well, it''s not me, when I tweet I don''t reveal my location. My daughter tweets often about Norwich but she tells me not so much during the close season

Most intelligent people don''t use Twitter, but it is interesting to see where the trolls live. 

[quote user="paul moy"]Most intelligent people don''t use Twitter, but it is interesting to see where the trolls live.  [/quote]

Based on what? I hope this is a poorly executed joke.

Houston - I think Fulham are showing up in South America because they recently toured Costa Rica. Remember they had a big American takeover a few weeks back as well. So it''s important to view the map in the context of how much a club is in the news at the current time.

Related to the above I''d be interested to see a map for a longer timescale than just a week - perhaps a month or even a year - although appreciate the more data to load, the more complex it gets

[quote user="JayNCFC"][quote user="paul moy"]Most intelligent people don''t use Twitter, but it is interesting to see where the trolls live.  [/quote]

Based on what? I hope this is a poorly executed joke.[/quote]No joke.  Sally Bercow and her libellous comments on Lord McAlpine, the latest rape threats against a journalist, and many more instances of bullying by anonymous trolls. It''s bad enough on this BB without inviting the world to bully and libel.  People have realised how self-destructive Twitter-abuse is to them and removed themselves from the Twitter arena. If so many people were not anonymous perhaps it could work but not as it currently stands IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="JayNCFC"][quote user="paul moy"]Most intelligent people don''t use Twitter, but it is interesting to see where the trolls live.  [/quote]

Based on what? I hope this is a poorly executed joke.[/quote]No joke.  Sally Bercow and her libellous comments on Lord McAlpine, the latest rape threats against a journalist, and many more instances of bullying by anonymous trolls. It''s bad enough on this BB without inviting the world to bully and libel.  People have realised how self-destructive Twitter-abuse is to them and removed themselves from the Twitter arena. If so many people were not anonymous perhaps it could work but not as it currently stands IMO.

[/quote]Whilst I agree with you that twitter isn''t without it''s faults i feel to write it off as useless is a mistake. Twitter is a very powerful tool and when used correctly for want of a better word it is brilliant. I urge you to watch this TED talk http://www.ted.com/talks/evan_williams_on_listening_to_twitter_users.html   Also made a few changes to http://ceg-sense.ncl.ac.uk/footballtweet/