Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

All Quiet on the transfer Front

Excellent summer for us on the transfer front, probably the best I can ever remember in well over 20 years. Whilst there is still a suggestion that we may be after another couple even the rumours seem to have gone quiet. I suspect we are still half interested in Toivonen and Alderweild, yet both seem to be hanging out for more attractive offers whilst not totally burning their bridges with us. I wonder if we have plan Bs if both of these fizzle out or if we are content with what we have. There is no need or feeling that we are desperate for any position now albeit with injury concerns another good CB would be good imo

be happy with a pacey two footed full back (naughton) as i think rb is weakest spot on the back 4, martin can more than cover at CB, and 1 more striker

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Excellent summer for us on the transfer front, probably the best I can ever remember in well over 20 years. Whilst there is still a suggestion that we may be after another couple even the rumours seem to have gone quiet. I suspect we are still half interested in Toivonen and Alderweild, yet both seem to be hanging out for more attractive offers whilst not totally burning their bridges with us. I wonder if we have plan Bs if both of these fizzle out or if we are content with what we have. There is no need or feeling that we are desperate for any position now albeit with injury concerns another good CB would be good imo[/quote]Personally the game against Braga suggested we need an AM / Player who can link the midfield and the strike force (like wes) rather than a out and out Striker to complete our set up.We certainly also need CB coverReckon we will have a couple through the door (with fox going the other way) in the next few weeks.Another dramatic last day window? Get the private jet ready McNally

I think we still need 2 more, a No10 and a CB. CB being the most important IMO because without Bassong the back 4 has never done very well. And given the niggling injury problems Bassong seems to be having at the moment there could be a decent period he is missing this season. 

[quote user="iron_stan"]be happy with a pacey two footed full back (naughton) as i think rb is weakest spot on the back 4, martin can more than cover at CB, and 1 more striker[/quote]

Players with two feet seem to be bettter balanced!

Given that those destined for the recycle bin is nearly as important, but not nearly as exciting, as new signings then last week was not too quiet.

Barnett and Surman (slightly surprising?) found new homes last week with the consequence being that new captures are inevitable rather than probable.

No new names are cropping up nowadays so we have to hope that at least one of Quagliarella, Toivenen or Alderweireld will come here or that the Hoots has a surprise up his sleeve, something we should have gotten used to by now.

If we could choose just one further signing then I''d actually choose a CB. 
We do need a number 10 or Hoolahan competition, but if push came to shove then we could use Howson or Butterfield.  
If we get an injury at CB then that puts Ayala in the frame, and sorry but he is: a) injury prone, b) not good enough. 

I agree that things are quiet, seemingly, although I am sure that behind the scenes..........

Anyone of the big names we have been linked with would be good - Alderweireld, Quag or Toivonen, but now other bigger spenders are in the market, which seems to happen in August each year. Of the trio only Toivonen has not been mentioned as a target by a British or Italian club. He has been regularly quoted as saying that he has not said "No" to CR, but he is also playing for PSV. I suspect that although PSV would quite like to get rid of him, he will stay there.

In the absence of Toivonen, who is not an orthodox midfielder anyway. I take the point that with Surman gone for the season, we shall be short of attacking midfielders in the centre to accompany Fer. Or does CH believe that Howson or Butterfield could do the job, or even someone like Elliott Bennett, if necessary?

I can''t believe that CH wants to go into the season with only three strikers. That is risky. So could it be that if he is confident on midfield personnel he may pay a little more for a good striker, "little more" meaning most of what is left.

At Centre Back, we have the reliable but rather slow Turner and also Bassong, who seem the best pairing, but how fit will Bassong be? We have three possible substitutes - Ayala, Bennett and Martin, but there are question marks about them. Will CH risk the present contingent, or will he try to find another CB?

We may find answers to some of these questions, about what CH would like and what he may do, from his selections in the two remaining friendlies.

I think this is the first week since the transfer window has re-opened that we haven''t signed a new player. It''s good that we have got the majority of our business done early as it gives the new guys time to gel.

I still expect 2-3 more signings though and not squad players just to make up the numbers either.

OTBC

Still think we need 3 key signings

1. Defensive midfielder

2. Striker

3. Centre back

To be truthfull, I don''t think we''re gonna make another 3 signings... I think a CB is imperative

"All Quiet on the transfer Front"

This is good.  It means things are being done behind closed doors.   Calls being made, discussions, meetings - all in private.   As much as we like to know what is going on, the quieter it is the better.  It means things can be done behind the scenes without the extra pressure of fending off the media and the twitteratti.

There is more in the pipeline, I''m sure, but I hope we don''t hear anything until an announcement is made.   It makes the announcement much more exciting if you don''t know who it is.   It won''t happen, because secrets are hard to keep and the media, internet, twitter etc would  spoil any possible surprise.    A  bit like the Dr Who announcement - and why did they have to announce that - because of twitter and the internet.   Sad, really.

I don''t think Ayala get''s a even a spot on the bench without at least two injuries. I wouldn''t worry too much myself if we didn''t sign a centre back (although I would LIKE to see one join). I think we have two very good ones and two who would certainly fall in to the ''decent backup'' category in Bennett and Martin. I mean, those two looked decent enough against Man City. I really hope RB has turned a corner now, much like Johnny Howson.

The Braga game did highlight the need for that support striker. Neither Hoops nor RVW are the right kind of player there. Both number 9s and I doubt very much that we will see them start together very much this season. Of course, there is every possibility that Wes will become more direct if he knows he has strikers running in behind, but I think we certainly need (at least) cover for that position. Although I think Hughton has suggested he may use Fer there?

I wouldn''t be surprised if that was the only position we strengthened. Every other position currently has two players competing for one spot and that''s a very healthy place for a squad to be in.  

Defensive Midfielder ??

Jonno Tettey and Fer can all play the enforcer role with Howson or Fox able to add more passing.

Depending on tactics I think we are more than covered.

Number 10 (Wes with goals) and CB and we will be good to go.

If Naughton is available, I would love to have him back and move Russ over to CB which I think is his best position

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Defensive Midfielder ?? Jonno Tettey and Fer can all play the enforcer role with Howson or Fox able to add more passing. [/quote]

I know its just my opinion but for me it was our weakest area of the pitch last year,   forcing negative tactics on the team, having to defend deeper and in more numbers than is ideal,  because no combination of tettey, howson or  johnson was able to win the ball back and deliver it to our attacker effectively or consistently.  Our poor possession and passing stats came from this core area of the pitch,  as did the disproportionate number of goals conceeded to midfielders runners by passing our enforcers. 

Fox is leaving the club and not an option the manager wants to use.  Howson is a far better player in that number ten role, and was outperformed by BJ for most of last season in a def mid role,  when he is a far superior player - def mid is not a role we should be wasting him in.

Fer - is a quality addition,  but its currently unclear exactly where he will start,   most of his appearances so far have been in a more advanced role;  it suits him and looks like he could be better than wes or howson there - so where do we chose?

With Redmond, Pilks, Snodgrass, Bennett, Howson, Fer & Wes we have an excellent array of creatives (one I would not swap for any outside of the top 6) - but if we cant get the ball to them further up the pitch they will remain as ineffective as last year.

I would say that the way we lined up in the first half against Braga may indicate where Fer will play and what his role will be.

To me it looks like Fer will be more box to box.

He''ll play in one of the two defensive midfield roles in the 4-3-2-1. Especially when we don''t have the ball.

However when we get the ball I suspect he has more license to get forward and support the attacks.

In a similar way to Yaya Toure or Gerrard play. Using their strength to win the ball deep and start moves as well as be a part of them later on.

That would give us Fer, Tettey and Johnson in those roles.

I would agree that Fer is likely to be a box to box midfielder (hopefully a very good one !)

I could see him playing AM away against some of the bigger teams with Jonno/Howson Jonno/Tettey Behind

Not convinced about Howson as AM seems more a general CM than Attacking/Defensive.

Could certainly see Howson/Fer as central 2 in 4-4-2

[quote user="lake district canary"]"All Quiet on the transfer Front"

This is good.  It means things are being done behind closed doors.   Calls being made, discussions, meetings - all in private.   As much as we like to know what is going on, the quieter it is the better.  It means things can be done behind the scenes without the extra pressure of fending off the media and the twitteratti.

There is more in the pipeline, I''m sure, but I hope we don''t hear anything until an announcement is made.   It makes the announcement much more exciting if you don''t know who it is.   It won''t happen, because secrets are hard to keep and the media, internet, twitter etc would  spoil any possible surprise.    A  bit like the Dr Who announcement - and why did they have to announce that - because of twitter and the internet.   Sad, really.

[/quote]
As much as I would like to buy in to the its all going on behind the scenes argument and that a proverbial rabbit will be pulled from the hat, I am sceptical. 
Keeping it quiet only really suits the purchasing club, it does not support the interests of the other parties so much. The selling club may wish to alert the market of a possible sale in the hope of driving the price up through rival bids. Similarly agents will be aiming to get both the price up and the wage deal up as both they and their player will earn more, again largely achieved by alerting the market. And the best way to alert the market is news leaks.
So to me all quiet on the transfer front does indeed mean that it has indeed gone quiet.
OTBC

I''d say howsons best position is definatly AM, he played further up the field for Leeds. He certainly looked decent when the shackles were off in the final third at the tail end of last season

I think if he plays up there well see a few goals from him.

I think we need a good CB to go with seb and another attacking player (whether it be a striker or CAM) at the least. Then we should be good for a nailed on mid table finish

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I think we need a good CB to go with seb and another attacking player (whether it be a striker or CAM) at the least. Then we should be good for a nailed on mid table finish[/quote]
I would agree with that Mrs M, save for I do not think anything is nailed on in this division.
I just do not think we have any new irons in the fire at the moment, only a few old leads a couple of which are fast cooling.

Whilst another forward, attacking midfielder and centre back would be useful, I do feel that the current squad will be able to hold its own this season and continue the progress of recent seasons.

I don''t believe that two strikers, plus one other Hughton won''t play, is anything like adequate to cover for injury, suspension or loss of form. I would also say it''s not enough to enable rotation of players but Hughton does not appear to practise this, or to play 4-4-2 but this might be unduly attacking in approach.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"]"All Quiet on the transfer Front"

[/quote]
As much as I would like to buy in to the its all going on behind the scenes argument and that a proverbial rabbit will be pulled from the hat, I am sceptical. 
Keeping it quiet only really suits the purchasing club, it does not support the interests of the other parties so much. The selling club may wish to alert the market of a possible sale in the hope of driving the price up through rival bids. Similarly agents will be aiming to get both the price up and the wage deal up as both they and their player will earn more, again largely achieved by alerting the market. And the best way to alert the market is news leaks.
So to me all quiet on the transfer front does indeed mean that it has indeed gone quiet.
OTBC
[/quote]

The same happened last August. Who heard anything about our interest in Bassong or Tetty? A surprise or two is very likely.