Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

v.Wolfswinkle AND Hooper in a 4-5-1

Hello after a looooong absence from message board posting (not reading).

We seem to have two very tasty looking strikers on the books on the evidence of, in particular, the last two friendlies and I for one would like to see both their goal threats in the same side.

Hooper is very much a poacher, best utilised in the box, but what I''ve also noticed is the Wolf seems more adept from distance as well as possessing a classy touch (they both do) and vision.

Why then do we not try v.Wolfswinkle in the Wes role as a number 10? I for one think this could work very well and would love to see the below starting 11, when fit and available, given a go. Thoughts?

Hoops

Wolf

Pilks Snoddy

Fer Howson

Olsson Turner Bassong Martin

Ruddy

Lineup vs everton i reckon will be

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Turner Olsson

Snodgrass Johnson Howson Redmond

Hoolahan

RVW

Bunn R.Bennett Garrido Tettey E.Bennett Hooper Becchio

Best eleven on paper is arguably

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Snodgrass Johnson Fer Howson Pilkington

RVW

Personally I don''t think it will work, they both look to sit on the shoulder of the last defender and are both natural goalscorers/poachers from what I''ve seen.

If u lose wes or whoever in that number 10 role an try to play rvw or hooper there I think you lose work rate, tracking back and dare I say it creativity.

The both want to finish the moves, not drop into midfield and try to create.

Would be lovely to see those two together and we may do if we are chasing a game etc but I believe playing them both will isolate the two of them. I personally don''t think we have the players to play a 4.4.2 and even if we did I don''t think that formation is dynamic enough for the majority of games nowadays. It''s a lovely thought but playing them both does not mean more goals. Get used to seeing one starting on the bench.

I get where you''re coming from, I just think it''s a shame because I think Hooper has something more to offer than the last ten minutes at best of a game (Hughton not being inclined to make subs before minute 80)

I can see your reasoning Crazy Eddie and perhaps another coach/manager would do that but as others have said Hoots doesn''t like/can''t handle two up front.

If we are chasing a game than this would surely be an option, trouble is Hoots doesn''t ''do'' decent sub timings other than the now infamous Kamara intro against Everton.

We defo have a better squad now, full of quality and pace. As Hoots said on Sky, the board have backed him 100% and now he must deliver. He better believe it!!

I am a fan of Hughton''s and the stability he has brought to the club but I can''t help but be immensely frustrated at how little impact his substitutions have. Perhaps this is magnified because in Lambert we were treated with some truly inspired substitutions which really made an impact, Lambo really used them as a weapon while Hughton seems more to see them as a way of replacing injured/tiring players only. I would hate to see Hooper wasted as a result of this.

What do people think of Fer being deployed in the Wes role of late? Personally I think he may be better suited to a deeper role, dictating play with his range of passing, a kind of Fox on steroids. Therefore, if RVW is to be deployed as a lone striker, I think we still need more competition for Wes in that no 10 role, as Wes just doesn''t score as many as he should (and I like Wes)

If you have seen Hooper''s first press conference for the club he makes reference to how he can play in the hole behind the striker, makes you wonder what Hughton has told them about possible playing positions this year

Indeed.

I''m guessing among the things he didn''t tell them were:

"Gary, playing in the Carling cup will be a massive boost to your England prospects"

or to our new number 9:

"I see you predominantly as a kit model"

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]

or to our new number 9:

"I see you predominantly as a kit model"[/quote]

Too true seen he was paraded around chaplefield today like a schoolgirls puppy at show and tell day

I may be wrong here but i''m sure that Hughton said when RVW arrived that he could play this role.. If i''m correct and he did then maybe he had the plan then to play him there...

Only one more preseason game to go isn''t it time we found a player who could play in that position and actually shoot at goal ?

Otherwise its likely to be a very long season yet again.

The only way Hughton will know for sure if it can work is if he tries it. If Wolf and Hooper both have the attributes for it then why not give it a try and allow them the fluidity to swap positions during the game. Snods and Redmond were doing this against Lisbon, who says this kind of interplay has to be restricted to the wide men?