Sign in to follow this  
super canary

Hull City Tigers

Hull City AFC change their name to Hull City Tigers. Owner Assem Allam claims ''city'' is too common and that the new name gives the club identity.

It all sounds very American to me.

Norwich Canary Franchise Dynamo?

Goes on to say that locally, they will be known as Hull City Tigers but globally, just Hull Tigers.

This, worryingly, could start a horrible trend.

There will only be four of us left if Hull go, us, Stoke, Man City and Cardiff. Hopefully the other three will try change their names and we can be the only ''City'' in the league.

I noticed that on the ticket this morning and thought it was their youth team or cheerleaders or something. Hadn''t realised they''d changed their name. What with them and Cardiff, what''s the next ludicrous thing to be done in football?

We''ve have had teams move city, change their colours and badges, and now their names. Where will it end?

*disclaimer - I''m not actually being a doom monger, I just think it''s funny and can''t work out what the next whacky thing will be.

A change of name will not save them from relegation, it''ll sound even stranger in the Championship.

Makes me happy as to who we have in charge of our football club.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]There will only be four of us left if Hull go, us, Stoke, Man City and Cardiff. Hopefully the other three will try change their names and we can be the only ''City'' in the league.[/quote]Swansea?

Looking forward to Cardiff Red Dragons vs Hull City Tigers.
Perhaps it is  time for us to rebrand, any ideas? 
How about Norwich Kickers of the Aviva Bowl. 

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"] Maybe we could be The East Anglia Pride?[/quote]
Perhaps a rebrand isn''t such a bad idea afterall! 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]With more people watching the Premier League outside of England than inside it is hardly surprising that teams are starting to look for a global appeal.[/quote]

I would say that is achieved by playing good football and remaining in the Premier League, building season on season-global football fans will soon take notice.

Hull are looking for a shortcut in my opinion which may well undermine supporters.

But hey, if it brings in extra revenue, good luck to them.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]With more people watching the Premier League outside of England than inside it is hardly surprising that teams are starting to look for a global appeal.[/quote]It is however, fairly surprising that owners genuinely believe that people in these new markets are thick enough to be swayed by cynical branding exercises.

Exactly Dandy. I can''t believe a guy in the Philipines or China would chose to watch Hull because some egit decided that adding the word Tigers to the clubs name would add ''appeal''!

Mickey Mouse idea for a tin pot club.

Rebranding, although it wasn''t called that, is nothing new. The Daily Mail did a silly season piece about this, with badges through the decades. One point that came out was that the apparently disgraceful Cardiff rebranding and switch to red dragon from blue bird was in tune with the club''s origins. The new badge (bottom) a throwback to the original (top):

Cardiff coat of arms
Cardiff 20th century badge
Cardiff
Cardiff

Absolutely crazy re-branding, I would be VERY unhappy if this were to happen to NCFC. Our CEO and owners have always stated that the club belongs to the fans, you have to be grateful for that when you see things like this happening around you.

I too would be very unhappy if our great club was rebranded in any major way, That said, I didnt really have any issue with a redesign of the club badge as long as it wasnt radical, certainly in the minority on that one, gradual evolvement/modernisayion of our club is surely fine.

The thing is, I just know that there are many good examples of where rebranding has improved a company, product or service''s image or sales, branding of any business''s product is very important and taken very seriously. So, for me, the best of luck to Hull City Tigers, as long as they dont change the club colours then I''m sure its worth the risk.......dont think it will work for them though as they now sound like a Rugby or Ice Hockey team.

OTBC....or, should I say On the Ball City Canaries

After our US tour, and game in Portugal, also bearing in mind last season''s trips to Austria, Germany and Glasgow, Norwich Globetrotters would be a proper name.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]With more people watching the Premier League outside of England than inside it is hardly surprising that teams are starting to look for a global appeal.[/quote]

It is however, fairly surprising that owners genuinely believe that people in these new markets are thick enough to be swayed by cynical branding exercises.
[/quote]

Not sure if it a case of people being ''thick'' - I know quite a few Japanese Norwich City fans who picked the club of the basis of the shirt colour, design of the badge or because "no one else did".

Norwich isn''t their only club of course, they also ''support'' teams like Barcelona, Man U etc as well as a local club, but it is sometimes surprising how residents of those overseas might pick someone to give thier allegiance to for a season or two.

If increasing your team''s appeal to attract global attention sounds American, then God bless the USA.

Saying something generic "sounds American" sounds British.

I would think a name like Tigers would appeal to the east and south Asians. That''s a lot of potential customers.

i await time outs, 3 hour long matches for all the ad breaks.. and beyonce singing at the "Super Bowl FA cup"