Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Watching highlights of us v Munich those years ago, I really want another European adventure!

Imagine us getting into Europe via cup success and then approaching the competition with the "what might go wrong" attitude of too many fans. We''d be bounced out in the first round and have most of the rest of the season to fight against relegation. Cup glory, Euro presence with minimal impact. Yay hooray!

Of course, it would be tantamount to going to Bahamas for vacation and not going to the beach cuz you might get eaten by a shark. But you can still brag to your friends you went to Bahamas.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]Typical pathetic Norwich fans who wouldn''t know ambition if it came up and smacked them in the mouth.Football is about winning things so getting to cup finals and Europe is the Holy Grail, no matter how much people think it has been devalued over the years. If we are using a devalued analogy then top flight football has been devalued too as the sole purpose these days is to survive rather than strive for success.We''ll get relegated again in the next 20 years no doubt and we''ll then get promoted again. Remember how much fun promotion was last time because we were successful, well European football will feel like that.Life''s an adventure and if you always settle for mediocrity then I pity you.[/quote]

Go ''n'' boil yer ''ead Percy...

[/quote]

Highly insightful Nigel, well played.[/quote]

Oh.....

Are you suddenly interested in the opinions of us typical Norwich fans then?

For what it''s worth in the 45 years I''ve been pathetic I''ve wanted us to win every match in every competition we enter. I should think that''s typical of fans throughout the game and at this time of year we are all dreaming of what maybe with only the select few left with their dreams intact after new year!

[/quote]Well I gauged the opinion of typical Norwich fans by reading the thread and excellent to know that you''re of the same opinion as me then.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]Typical pathetic Norwich fans who wouldn''t know ambition if it came up and smacked them in the mouth.Football is about winning things so getting to cup finals and Europe is the Holy Grail, no matter how much people think it has been devalued over the years. If we are using a devalued analogy then top flight football has been devalued too as the sole purpose these days is to survive rather than strive for success.We''ll get relegated again in the next 20 years no doubt and we''ll then get promoted again. Remember how much fun promotion was last time because we were successful, well European football will feel like that.Life''s an adventure and if you always settle for mediocrity then I pity you.[/quote]

Yes but. I would like to be able to watch Norwich City on the continent again. But there is a genuine fear about playing in the Europa League (I take it for now that is what we are talking about here).To win the UEFA Cup around the time we qualified involved playing a maximum of. 12 games (six home and six away legs) from mid-September to mid-May.To win the Europa League, if I have added up correctly, could take 23 games. There are four qualifying rounds, six group matches, and then four knock-out rounds before a one-off final. Even if you skip a couple of the qualifying rounds it is still 19 games.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Yes but. I would like to be able to watch Norwich City on the continent again. But there is a genuine fear about playing in the Europa League (I take it for now that is what we are talking about here).To win the UEFA Cup around the time we qualified involved playing a maximum of. 12 games (six home and six away legs) from mid-September to mid-May.To win the Europa League, if I have added up correctly, could take 23 games. There are four qualifying rounds, six group matches, and then four knock-out rounds before a one-off final. Even if you skip a couple of the qualifying rounds it is still 19 games.

[/quote]So even more Norwich games to go to and even a few more on the tellybox, awesome!The amount of games played in the Europa League, assuming we made a final, is probably not that much different to the amount of games we played in League One when you add in the Johnstone''s Paint Throphy, League Cup and FA Cup.  Just substitute Yeovil away on a Tuesday night for Steaua Bucharest. An obvious change in quality though.

Teams will start taking the europa league a bit more seriously when the change comes in 2015, that the winners get a champions league place.The club already knew it was better to wait another year before qualifying for europe, all part of the "real" seven year plan of course 2009-10 - get out of league one2010-11 - get out of championship2011-12 - stay in premier league2012-13 - stay in premier league2013-14 - qualify for europa league2014-15 - win europa league, and therefore qualify for champions league2015-16 - win champions league

[quote user="Mr Gilbert"]Teams will start taking the europa league a bit more seriously when the change comes in 2015, that the winners get a champions league place.The club already knew it was better to wait another year before qualifying for europe, all part of the "real" seven year plan of course 2009-10 - get out of league one2010-11 - get out of championship2011-12 - stay in premier league2012-13 - stay in premier league2013-14 - qualify for europa league2014-15 - win europa league, and therefore qualify for champions league2015-16 - win champions league[/quote]This is the sort of joined up thinking I can comprehend!

I think we will see Europe again in the next 5-10 years. Most Likely through the cup, Hughton is the man to do it and we will be set up for success for years to come.

People say i''m a dreamer.. but i''m not the only one....

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 09/08/2013 12:48 PM:

I think we will see Europe again in the next 5-10 years. Most Likely

through the cup, Hughton is the man to do it and we will be set up for

success for years to come.

People say i''m a dreamer.. but i''m not the only one....

no your right jas your not the only one. If I am honest I am not bothered about next season in terms of where we finish. I just want to follow us in europe. the swans in malmo. I would have loved that to be us.

I

really do not understand where some fans are coming from. A club of our

size and going on history this little adventure will not last forever.

There will be a season I am sure where it will all come crashing down on

us. Enjoy it whilst it lasts. I love the fact we are spending decent

cash on quality and going for it more. Why oh why would a Norwich fan

not want to see their team win a cup? then enter europe? To a team like

us the europa league would be massive not a mikey mouse competition. 

Money, money , money thats all they drum into us these days and fans get

sucked in. We need to stay up because we need the riches of the

premiership. Dont get me wrong I want us to stay in business but I could

not give two hoops about the bank balance.   but any sane norwich fan

knows that this wont last so if we won a cup and played in europe you

would be mad not to want it to happen.  I hope we take the cup

competitions seriously this year. the fact RVW , fer ect have played in

the same competition they may well just want to be playing in it again,

no?  Relegation will happen one day so why not take a trip in europe and

cup

win before its too late. or do you want 9 seasons of "staying up"

yawwwwwwn boring!

I

don''t often disagree with you bghl, but for me the european cups have

been devalued beyond what is acceptable.   Too many games in the europa,

a poor champions league system,  where if you fail you go into the

europa.   Bonkers.   Arnhem, Bayern, Inter - fantastic times, but how

many fans can afford the time/money to go to all the away matches in

Europe - to watch second string Norwich sides play non-entities of

european football.  I know this all sounds a bit cynical, but european

cup football is geared to the so called big teams.   Let them have it.

The truth is out there, somewhere...........

I always thought you had a similar thinking to me lake district canary. Norwich back in europe, seriously you would not take it? I dont care if its azabizzzah away it involves getting on a plane and following the boys in yellow around europe. I would love that stuff. Sod the premiership!