Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Capital One Cup Draw

I remember all too well the shambles against Bury in the FA Cup 3rd Round in 2008. Doherty scoring late at Carrow Road to scrape us a replay, and then us putting in an awful performance away to lose 2-1 at Gigg Lane.A hell of a lot has changed between those Roeder days and the good times we''re experiencing in 2013!Bury have brought in something like 17 new players this summer. I''d expect us to get the job done comfortably.Mind you, I said that prior to the Luton game last season...

[quote user="yellow blood"]Unseeded teams were drawn to be home or away then the seeded teams were drawn to play in each of those games....all a bit Mickey Mouse[/quote]

I hate these modern draws, is it really so hard to throw them all in a hat and pick''em out one by one

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="yellow blood"]Unseeded teams were drawn to be home or away then the seeded teams were drawn to play in each of those games....all a bit Mickey Mouse[/quote] I hate these modern draws, is it really so hard to throw them all in a hat and pick''em out one by one[/quote]

I think they will next time - but with a seeded draw you have no option but to do it the way they did today.

Happy with the draw.

Happier with the exchange between Simon Thomas and Gary Neville though. One party considerably more satisfied with the draw than the other methinks!

If Mr McNally has any ideas other than £10 a ticket and kids for a quid it will be an error of judgement.

[quote user="Mason 47"]Happy with the draw. Happier with the exchange between Simon Thomas and Gary Neville though. One party considerably more satisfied with the draw than the other methinks![/quote]

Gary Neville''s mum used to be the secretary of Bury.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Mason 47"]Happy with the draw. Happier with the exchange between Simon Thomas and Gary Neville though. One party considerably more satisfied with the draw than the other methinks![/quote]

Gary Neville''s mum used to be the secretary of Bury.

[/quote]

Don''t know why but that reminds me of the old Rodney Dangerfield line:

"I asked the cabbie to take me where the action was and he took me to my house."

[quote user="thas a rummun"]I remember all too well the shambles against Bury in the FA Cup 3rd Round in 2008. Doherty scoring late at Carrow Road to scrape us a replay, and then us putting in an awful performance away to lose 2-1 at Gigg Lane.

A hell of a lot has changed between those Roeder days and the good times we''re experiencing in 2013!

Bury have brought in something like 17 new players this summer. I''d expect us to get the job done comfortably.

Mind you, I said that prior to the Luton game last season...[/quote]

Went to both those games. That night in Bury was thoroughly miserable! Andy Bishop scored in both games which resulted in posts on here suggesting we sign him. Where is he now?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="thas a rummun"]I remember all too well the shambles against Bury in the FA Cup 3rd Round in 2008. Doherty scoring late at Carrow Road to scrape us a replay, and then us putting in an awful performance away to lose 2-1 at Gigg Lane.

A hell of a lot has changed between those Roeder days and the good times we''re experiencing in 2013!

Bury have brought in something like 17 new players this summer. I''d expect us to get the job done comfortably.

Went to both those games. That night in Bury was thoroughly miserable! Andy Bishop scored in both games which resulted in posts on here suggesting we sign him. Where is he now?

[/quote] Bury fan in peace. Bishop now plays for Wrexham. To be honest in 2008 he was in his prime, and if it were not for countless injuries shortly after the Norwich game I''m sure he would have played in the Championship. Injuries ended his career really and he went from 50 goals in 100 games to 69 goals in 264 games! He is one of the favorites for the BSP golden boot this season though. Looking forward to watch Elliott Bennett again!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]If Mr McNally has any ideas other than £10 a ticket and kids for a quid it will be an error of judgement.[/quote]

Yes my thoughts exactly.  Dont normally miss many home games, but anymore than a tenner and I will be voting with my feet like I did for the Spurs LC last season.

[quote user="JustPoppingIn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Bury fan in peace. Bishop now plays for Wrexham. To be honest in 2008 he was in his prime, and if it were not for countless injuries shortly after the Norwich game I''m sure he would have played in the Championship. Injuries ended his career really and he went from 50 goals in 100 games to 69 goals in 264 games! He is one of the favorites for the BSP golden boot this season though. Looking forward to watch Elliott Bennett again![/quote]

Thanks buddy! To cap it all it rained that night in Bury but I guess it usually does[;)]

Shame to hear the guy got injured. He certainly caused us problems in those games.

[quote user="Ren"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]If Mr McNally has any ideas other than £10 a ticket and kids for a quid it will be an error of judgement.[/quote]

Yes my thoughts exactly.  Dont normally miss many home games, but anymore than a tenner and I will be voting with my feet like I did for the Spurs LC last season.

[/quote]

I''ll still go if it''s eleven quid...

Anyone top that?

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Ren"]

[/quote]

Anyone top that?

[;)]

[/quote]

I went to the Spurs Cup game last season. I paid £15 for the friendly against Real SausageyourDad - why would I expect to pay less for a competitive game?

So....£15.

As you lot rightly say Norwich have come a very long way since that night on Jan 15th 2008, and so have we in a way albeit on a smaller scale. We have since been promoted (and relegated!) and looking back at the squad we fielded that night it was bloody awful! We both have considerably stronger squads than last time we met, your squad obviously more so. And I look forward to a good game although I fully expect us to get turned over, I shall be making the trip.

Thanks Beth! Incredible to think that one player from that night went on to win the Champions League 4 years later[:O]

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Ren"]

[/quote]

Anyone top that?

[;)]

[/quote]

I went to the Spurs Cup game last season. I paid £15 for the friendly against Real SausageyourDad - why would I expect to pay less for a competitive game?

So....£15.

[/quote]

Good for you!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]If Mr McNally has any ideas other than £10 a ticket and kids for a quid it will be an error of judgement.

[/quote]

Spot on then ! [:D][Y]

Thanks Ren!!

Really enjoyed the Spurs game too, worth every penny for the late drama.

Twelve quid for me and the kids for this one, so £4 each.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Horrible, horrible memories of Andy Bishop[/quote]Hey, don''t start bashing the Bishop over past events.

There''s a lot of positivity and optimism on this thread, which IMO is terribly short sighted. I know I won''t be alone in saying I''ll be making better use of my time instead of going to any NCFC cup game (League or FA) for quite some time. The club don''t really care about cup games at present, the players certainly don''t, so the supporters shouldn''t either. Luton and Leicester, and to a degree Villa are all too recent to forgive.

I took my two young boys to the Luton game, and felt cheated and embarrassed. They''re only 6 and 7 but already know enough about football, and genuinely couldn''t understand how we lost, and left the game very confused. It will take me a lot longer than just this season for the club to receive my forgiveness, and many many others will share the same feelings. For the time being, NCFC cup games are just too hollow and are a waste of time and money, whatever the ticket price is set at.

Your 6 and 7 year old boys shared an experience with thousands of others that couldn''t understand how we lost that game!!

But we did.

I take my children whenever the opportunity arises, they''ve seen us win, lose, play well, play crap but the magic is still there. If cup games are a waste of money at £1 a chuck because they might lose, well, you''ll have to save up a lot of quids to take them to watch Man United or Barcelona and even they lose sometimes.

Now, I know that you wouldn''t want to do that but the bottom line is that YOU felt shortchanged by a crap performance, just like I did, just like loads of us Dad''s did. The thing is that my kids, well, my boy definitely, will still have that sparkle in his eye, he''ll still give my hand that tighter squeeze as we approach the ground, he''ll still want a £4 cold hot-dog!!

Win, lose, draw, I wouldn''t swap that for the world, especially at a pound a go.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thanks Beth! Incredible to think that one player from that night went on to win the Champions League 4 years later[:O]

[/quote]

which player Nutty? that would be a good quiz question!