Sign in to follow this  
yoda

England v Scotland friendly

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="yoda"] in fact i''m always a bit envious of the Scots and Irish , they seem to have more of an identity than we do , i mean we barely even celebrate St Georges day !

[/quote]

They have an identity and are proud to display and support their country. What is it that makes us celebrate St.Patricks Day and go to the pub to down pints of Guinness or attend Burns Night celebrations ? I am proud to be English and St.Georges Day should be a national holiday. As someone has said the Jocks have a hatred of the English when it comes to football  and if we were to play an Assad X1 managed by Robert Mugabee I can tell you here and now who the Jocks would be rooting for !

[/quote]
Their politics is very polarised though, half of them would probably be cheering for the Mugabe team yes, the Unionists probably wouldn''t, the Nationalists most definitely would be, a lot of Celtic fans would probably cheer Assad XI against Scotland yet alone England. 

Its a friendly so I cant worry about it too much,   but will only ever want and England win as I am English and proud of it.    I am prouder of being from Norfolk and supporting Norwich but the two are not mutually exclusive for me.  As far as following another national team it will always be around their style of play,  so bulgaria, romania, teh dutch, french and spain have all had my support at various times over the last 20 years - usually ahead of the mock association of Eire, Wales Scotand etc whose brand of football is frankly not enjoyable (although the player desire to play for their country is usually admirable)  

I of course want them all to come back fit and ready for Everton.

As far of it being a ludicrous time to hold a friendly, the international dates were set first;    International sates are set to suit all local leagues,  some of which are well under way and this weekend there are a series of competetive games.   Ask why the prem league chose not to start last week (like the football league) instead of just days after a designated international fixture dates.  

Let''s stick to sport and national pride shall we TNB because if you try and bring politics into this thread we all know that Pete will have to step in and it will disappear. However I know where you are coming from.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Let''s stick to sport and national pride shall we TNB because if you try and bring politics into this thread we all know that Pete will have to step in and it will disappear. However I know where you are coming from.[/quote]
Sure, said my bit now anyway.