Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Ball playing midfielder.

I''ve seen most of the freindlys this summer and what''s apparent to me is we still lack a ball playing midfielder. Someone with great ball retention and someone looking to take the ball from the back four. Fer is a massive improvement but I see him as a compatitive all rounder, not someone disciplined enough just to sit and hold Possesion.

Too many times we appear to rush things and try to counter at every opportunity as opposed to controlling the game. I don''t think our style is sustainable in the long term. Basically we need an upgrade on Fox. This sort of player would compliment Fer really well and allow him to bully midfields.

I like howson and tettey but there ball retention is not good enough. I feel howson should be competing with Hoolahan for the advanced role. Tettey and BJ are useful players particularly away from home at a big team where we expect to see less of the ball and want to break down the oppositions play. But we do really lack a classy midfield ball player. A Michael carrick/ xabi alonso type.

I agree.

Came away from the game yesterday thinking Fox would have been majestic at the base of the midfield. He used to control the tempo for us; him holding the ball allowed other players to optimise their position ready to build a move.

Where is Fox these days btw?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

I agree.

Came away from the game yesterday thinking Fox would have been majestic at the base of the midfield. He used to control the tempo for us; him holding the ball allowed other players to optimise their position ready to build a move.

Where is Fox these days btw?

[/quote]

I don''t think fox is the answer. He''s not played anywhere near enough football over the last 12 months. He''s well liked but not quite good enough. But his style of football we miss. Your correct, we need someone to control the tempo.

We know we need that player, as last season proved... Fox would be our weakest player in the first 11, fer has produced some amazing through balls.

Last season everything went thro snoddy and again in preseason everything has gone through him.

I think we need striker and centre half first but this is what we are building. It is building slowly and steadily.

The play always going through Snoddy was in my opinion, one of our biggest problems last season.

Firstly, it''s predictable. The opposition know exactly how to set up when we have the ball.

Second, he''s predictable. Good dribbler that he is, he''s exceptionally one-footed and they know sooner or later he''s going to cut inside.

Third, whenever he gets the ball he holds it for at least 30 seconds. This slowed down the majority of our attacks and allowed defences to get back and get set up in plenty of time. It''s no coincidence that we were the only team in the Premiership over the last 5 years to not score a single goal on the break for an entire season.

I''m not anti-Snoddy as when he does get in the position to put a cross in or deliver a through ball, he''s exceptional, but we can''t keep using him as the starting point of every attack as it hinders us more than it helps. As the OP states, we need a playmaker in the middle of the park, not out on the wing.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"] It''s no coincidence that we were the only team in the Premiership over the last 5 years to not score a single goal on the break for an entire season. [/quote]
That surely has more to do with a lack of real pace in our team. We have bought players who address that, Redmond, Fer, V Wolfswinkel, Olsson, all much quicker than the respective other players in their positions. 
Fer can step on the gas, Redmond is now the quickest player at the club, and the prospect of Olsson on the overlap is exciting. Wolfswinkel doesn''t exactly have pace of Bellamy proportions but he is a couple of yards quicker than Holt. 

The guy who played at number 6 yesterday for Pana, looked a very decent player and could thread a nice pass, anyone know what his name was, seeing him play would be worth a punt!

[quote user="Aveit"]The guy who played at number 6 yesterday for Pana, looked a very decent player and could thread a nice pass, anyone know what his name was, seeing him play would be worth a punt![/quote]
According to Wiki their number 6 shirt is occupied by David Mendes Da Silva, and he has 7 caps for Holland.

[quote user="Aveit"]The guy who played at number 6 yesterday for Pana, looked a very decent player and could thread a nice pass, anyone know what his name was, seeing him play would be worth a punt![/quote]

Agreed. Looked very classy, and quick.