Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Realistic PL predictions

We seem to be falling into the ''trap'' of only ''listening'' to those who predict relegation for us - there''s a thread and even an article on the main site about Sky pundit Redknapp having tipped us for the bottom three. There are far better informed people out there (even Phil Thompson, never a fan, predicted we''d struggle but be ok).

Predictions are only an opinion and pundits/media people are no more or less likely to be right than anyone else, good or bad, but I was just wondering what other predictions people had seen that have slipped through.

I have only seen: 4-4-2 which has us down as 15th: not the best or worst.

But are any of the expert pundits predicting we will be challenging for a top six position? Its only to be expected that these so called "experts" would not consider City as anything other than relegation candidates, as they clearly dont do their homework on us, and if we do well will always say that we are "over performing" or some other crud like that. 

What is clear is that, "on paper" we appear to have made the biggest improvement to our squad, other than Manchester City in the league so far, which in itself should be a reason NOT to include us in the bottom three at least, particularly as w efinsihed 11th last season, thats fair surely.   

The Bleacher Report has Palace ,Stoke and Sunderland which I cannot disagree with. Di Canio is an acquired taste ,Hughes could not reconstruct a side at QPR and Holloway is still "scratching his head to work out how to stay in this league".

For me I think and hope Norwich will be in the slot 10th to 14th, hopefully keeping clear of any relegation scrap. I feel our squad is significantly better than last season and the year before albeit we will miss the physical presence of Grant Holt RVW and Hooper which excellent signings do not give us that option. I fancy Manchester City and Chelsea to battle it out for the top spot whilst the bottom 3 will come from Hull. Palace, Cardiff, stoke, Sunderland and Fulham

From a neutral point of view, here is a prediction of league placings based on statistical analysis:

http://www.statto.com/football/odds/ratings/england/premier-league

From that City are at the top of a seven team group on 46 points from 8th place to 14th. IMO, that''s about right and it''s a question of where we might finish in that mid-table group. My personal prediction is 10th.

Seven teams on 46 points would be rather weird! I''m thinking that we will have another mid-table, 10th-14th placed, finish - we will undoubtedly flirt with the top half and bottom few at times, as many sides will.

This is another statistical prediction of the next season, this time from Bloomberg Sports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2385951/Chelsea-tipped-win-Premier-League-Bloomberg-forecasts.html

(I tried to post just the photo of the league table but couldn''t work out how)

It does seem a lot of the football pundits enjoy their summer holidays too much and take little or no notice of the transfer activity at clubs like Norwich (although their love affair with Swansea continues!)

I for one think we did well to stay up last season as our squad on paper was not too far off Wigan''s on paper. Although Hughton''s tactics nearly saw us undo all the hard work we did late autumn, early winter.

Our squad on paper now seems of a very similar quality to West Ham, West Brom, Southampton, Fulham, dare I say Aston Villa. The teams who look in trouble to me are Crystal Palace, Hull, Cardiff, Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle.

For me Man City first, then Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Swansea, Everton and then our tier of clubs.

Whoever picked us to be atop a 7-way tie at 46 points doesn''t know jack about us. We almost always come up short when even on points (at any level) because we almost always have a worse goal difference than whomever we''re tied with.

Would appear to be a little premature to stake our fortune on this before the transfer window has closed.

I don''t know what I''m talking about

Just seen in my youngest''s Kick magazine they have us 9th.

I think it is fait to say that more people in the media will have us as doing ok than not, but it seems our local media (and many posters) only want to concentrate on the negative ones....

....and another - Gary Neville in the Fail has us as ''one to watch'', saying:

"Chris Hughton is an organised coach but Norwich flirted with danger last season because of an inability to score goals. They have worked hard this summer to put that right by paying a club-record £8.5million fee for Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel and signing Gary Hooper from Celtic. I’m not predicting Champions League football for Norwich but I expect them to do better than last year."

...which seems fair enough!