Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Jermain Defoe

From the Mirror: Queens Park Rangers have been told it will cost them £6m to land England striker Jermain Defoe, 30, from Tottenham.

If this is a true sum of money, then surely a player worth pursuing? Yes wages might be an issue, but his pedigree is second to none, and he''s proven in the premier league where as Quag isn''t.

Surely in a World Cup year Defoe wouldn''t be dropping down to the Championship and I doubt he would drop down to a team of our standing either.

A high quality Premier League striker there''s no doubt about that.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Proven to need 4 chances for every goal[/quote]Apart from the fact that it''s actually a goal every 2.7 chances (well, at least last season it was), which is pretty much identical to Carlos Tevez, and better than Suarez, Giroud, Holt, Podolski, Cisse, Bent, Agbonlahor, Carroll, Welbeck and Balotelli...Defoe is a natural goalscorer who thrives on shooting from a bit deeper and getting the ball played into his feet (or slightly in front for him to run onto), and Spurs have struggled to accomodate that at times, especially when AVB has been playing him as the lone striker with Bale in the hole (since when has Defoe been a target man???).He''s a proven quality player, who''s scored goals everywhere he''s been, and I''d be more than happy to have him here

I suspect his wages would be out of our range, but (someone else pointed out) in a World Cup year he''s going to want to be playing at the highest level.  Of course he''s a good player though he''s a bit mercurial - he''s either on his game or completely off it.Can''t see Hooper, Defoe and RvW wanting to be in a squad rotation system though, and would suspect RvW has been given first priority.  If we hadn''t landed Hooper then maybe, but can''t see this going through now.

Quality strikers, proven international records, don''t come along at £6m very often.I''d love Defoe at Norwich! Perhaps the Hoots/Tottenham link might juts bag another steal for us!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So which one of Hooper or RvW would you effectively stand down to make room for Defoe?

[/quote]

Whichever striker we sign someone will have to, at times, ''stand down''![8o|]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So which one of Hooper or RvW would you effectively stand down to make room for Defoe?[/quote]

[/quote]I don''t think Hooper or RvW came here to play the Becchio role. 

Simply put you need four strikers that the manager is willing to play in a PL squad to cover for injuries, suspension, loss of form or, hopefully, to enable two strikers to appear in the same starting line-up.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So which one of Hooper or RvW would you effectively stand down to make room for Defoe?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think Hooper or RvW came here to play the Becchio role. 

[/quote]

Well in that case the only alternative is to have 2 decent strikers and 2 rubbishy ok strikers if you''re scared of upsetting the 2 who you think are top dogs.  Should there be an injury to 1 or both of the 2 top dogs then you are left relying on the strikers who are a bit rubbish.

I expect becchio to be fourth choice, with one more very good forward signing, if anything I actually would see hooper as number three. But there is no question that we need another striker.

I have said it before football managers admit in the premier league you need more than 4 strikers, pardew said it was that that ruined them last year.

Therefore we need another striker and sorry boys you have to compete.

Ridiculous and. Clueless if you think three can be enough or that hooper or rvw do not expect competition. If you want to play in the top leagues and have ambitions you do.

[quote user="smooth"]I expect becchio to be fourth choice, with one more very good forward signing, if anything I actually would see hooper as number three. But there is no question that we need another striker.

I have said it before football managers admit in the premier league you need more than 4 strikers, pardew said it was that that ruined them last year.

Therefore we need another striker and sorry boys you have to compete.

Ridiculous and. Clueless if you think three can be enough or that hooper or rvw do not expect competition. If you want to play in the top leagues and have ambitions you do.[/quote]I think Pardew might reflect on that and consider there were a few other things that ruined them last season...Meanwhile I note Hughton continues to play one up front.

And you are left with rvw and becchio on the bench. Not enough if you want to stay in this league. Even with one striker you need four strikers at least.

1 upfront will need a player to come on when we are chasing the game, or with so many games it is needed. Forget playing 1 upfront the squad game requires 4-5 strikers.

Just to highlight 13th July - Pardew told the Chronicle: “I think we might need two strikers. My competition in that area – Cisse, Shola, Gouff and Adam Campbell – last season wasn’t strong enough.

“In the Premier League, that’s not enough. I need more than that.”

Last year we did not have a plan b and are group wasn''t strong enough. Hughton has said that we needed strikers and with the fact holt, Vaughan , sj and Chris Martin left that we are still lean on the ground.

I expect one more striker, but again an attacking midfielder of a Scott Sinclair style would be the icing on the cake.

We need a centre half but no question a striker is 100% needed if we want a squad capable of staying up 3 strikers on the books is a reason why we would have pundits out us in trouble.

We need another choice for upfront and always did.