Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Alternative Second Strikers / Attacking Mids

I''m not starting this thread to resurrect arguments about whether Quags is the right player or not, or whether Toivanan is better than Quags, or whether Maxi Lopez is any good, but just to here other peoples suggestions. 
We need another attacking centre midfielder / second striker as competition to Wes, most - not all but most - Norwich fans agree with that. It seems so anyway, no actual evidence of that, but I haven''t seen much objection to the idea of signing one. 
What if we don''t get either of them? We will still need one, there are three and a half weeks left of the window, who would you like to see us go for instead? 
My names are Carlos Vela and Shaun Maloney. Probably a bit unrealistic to sign Vela, but I''d still love to see it. 

Being half mexican I dream about us signing Vela / Guardado / Dos Santos. But I doubt it.

Vela just had the season of his life and is the reason Sociadad are in the Champions League. Would take 15m+ to even talk to him.

If Norwich are prepared to spent €8m on Quagliarella, for a little bit more they might be able to get Hiroshi Kiyotake from Nuremberg who is a very good attacking midfielder. (Would also pee off Lambert who is looking to sign him). If a work permit could be obtained then Yoichiro Kakitani from Cerezo Osaka would be availble for around £5m - would take him a while to settle into Premier League football, but he is possibly a bigger talent than Kiyotake.

Personally I''d be happy with what we''ve got and would rather save the money for spending in Jan (assuming this is the last of the money in the pot).

I think it could be Howsons year with Fer and BJ playing behind him. If not then we still have Wes, Redmond, Fer and even E.Bennett that can all play there, to varying degrees. Thats without mentioning Butterfield, who has been touted to have so much promise... Fair enough to accomodate some of those players in that position it would mean moving others (i.e Fer there would mean Tetty to come in or Howson dropping deeper, which i''m not a massive fan of - Or redmond there with Pilks on the wing). All good options IMO.

[quote user="Crispy"]Being half mexican I dream about us signing Vela / Guardado / Dos Santos. But I doubt it.

Vela just had the season of his life and is the reason Sociadad are in the Champions League. Would take 15m+ to even talk to him.[/quote]
I was thinking about Dos Santos the other day but he has just signed for Villareal so missed opportunity. His little brother would be more realistic (on loan) but he is a centre midfielder rather than an attacking one. 
Real Sociedad only paid £4m for Vela a year ago. What a bargain, Wenger will regret that one. 

[quote user="Vazzza"]Personally I''d be happy with what we''ve got [/quote]
I''d still like to see one or two more signings in this window, not necessarily a second striker though. Another defender of some description is still essential in my opinion. Can be either a right back or centre back. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Vazzza"]Personally I''d be happy with what we''ve got [/quote]

I''d still like to see one or two more signings in this window, not necessarily a second striker though. Another defender of some description is still essential in my opinion. Can be either a right back or centre back. 

[/quote]

I agree completely there, just meant with what we''ve got for AM/shadow striker position

I think that Howson could fill the role, if necessary, and Elliott Bennett has been in that position - not sure of their heading ability, but it''s probably as good as that of Wes. CH has been trying Fer there as well. I am not sure we need another advanced midfielder, but there may be Toivonen.

More pressing to my way of thinking is a pacy CB. We did look slow, and conceded goals by quick attackers. Oddly enough we have just let go our only pacy CB, but then Leon had other problems. It doesn''t look as if we shall get Alderweireld, though we may play against him in the Everton game.  I hope that CH and McN have an alternative ready!

Almost as urgent is another striker - we are very thin, if one or two should be injured.....

Defender and attacking midfielder is needed or second striker.

We do not have enough strikers.

Elliott Bennett, butterfield are unproven in the position behind the striker, neither have done that in the premier league. Hoops, Howson and snoddy can but I do feel that we need a controlled, experienced level head in this position. Hence I can see why we have coveted both more experienced players. Personally I think we need one ASAP.

Centre half I would agree again. Our spine of the team needs that bullish dominating defender. Bassong and turner are exceptional but I do feel we can step up another level now.

I do think right back is an area we can develop, but of course we have filled holes this year. Fer is exceptional and I look forward to either Howson or another stepping up.

We do not want to wait for January. Lets get the best team we can now and the in January if someone becomes available then let''s have a look

But still work to do and we do need the attacking midfielder/ second striker and centre half

[quote user="The New Boy"]I''m not starting this thread to resurrect arguments about whether Quags is the right player or not, or whether Toivanan is better than Quags, or whether Maxi Lopez is any good, but just to here other peoples suggestions. 
We need another attacking centre midfielder / second striker as competition to Wes, most - not all but most - Norwich fans agree with that. It seems so anyway, no actual evidence of that, but I haven''t seen much objection to the idea of signing one. 
What if we don''t get either of them? We will still need one, there are three and a half weeks left of the window, who would you like to see us go for instead? 
My names are Carlos Vela and Shaun Maloney. Probably a bit unrealistic to sign Vela, but I''d still love to see it. 

[/quote]Not sure I go along with this. You are potentially describing two different players rather than one who can play two different roles. Someone who can play as an attacking midfielder and as a second striker is competition to Wes only in the first role, and if that then is likely to be too similar to our two PL-quality strikers (RVW and Hooper). If we need another striker ( as I believe) then it needs to be someone different. This is the attraction of Toivonen, but then he is hardly competition for Wes. I gather Quagliarella can play the Wes role and as a striker, but he ia hardly someone to lead the line.

[quote user="Crispy"]Being half mexican I dream about us signing Vela /

Guardado / Dos Santos. But I doubt it.

Vela just had the season of his life and is the reason Sociadad are in

the Champions League. Would take 15m+ to even talk to him.[/quote]Being

Australian, I''d love to have Brett Holman. Especially if he was more

like Vela / Guardado / Dos Santos, and less like Brett Holman (i.e.

$hite)

I would like to see Mcmanaman from Wigan. It was mentioned somewhere a while back that he may be on the radar. Yes I know he is another wide player but does anyone think Snodgrass could play the Wes role allowing another wide player to come in. Am sure Mcmanaman could also play off the front two. Young,highly rated and hungry

Long time reader first time poster.....

Ive always liked wes but tbh he doesn''t score enough goals for the position he tends to play in for us. If CH insists on playing the 4-4-1-1 formation we really need an AM that scores more than 1 in 6 (1 in 10 in the prem last year)

Someone more like Eriksen / Jovetic (granted well out of our price bracket) who link up play and score from the edge of the box regularly

Thought Fer didn''t look half as comfortable in an attacking role last night as he did when he dropped back to a more defensive position after wes came on. RvW looked isolated all night.

Miralem Pjanić if we can fork out 15m+ and he prefers carrot fields to colosseum''s

In fairness ola is our best option at the mo and at least we have a deal with psv

I''d be much more comfortable if we sorted the CB / AM issues now, the Jan transfer window tends to see vastly inflated prices paid as teams get desperate for quick fixes.

On another note why doesnt Becchio get a chance, i havent seen much of him but he scored loads at Leeds and Ive hardly seen him get more than 10 minutes competitively for us??

[quote user="ncfc_ncfc"]This might been seen as ambitious but would love to try and sign Georginio Wijnaldum.[/quote]
Football Manager 2008/2009 wonderkid! 

Quag and toivanen are good options and would like us to look at kadlec as a striker.

A further cb and dm are needed. Can''t keep losing possession so cheaply

couldn''t agree more all very well to talk of Wes/Howson/Butterfield/Bennett/Snodgrass/Redmond being able to play in this position not one has scored goals playing in this position for NCFC.

Not having this player in my opinion is the reason we scored so few goals last season. Going into the season without one having invested in the players we have would be madness. We would just have to pray someone suddenly linked the play and found 10 goals a season.

My main concern is about injury to either or both RvW and Hooper, so I''d like to see another striker, preferably one who can also play deeper or in the ACM role and score goals from either position. Toivonen looks good for this, but there must be others out there. Quagliarella would solve the striker need (if we can get him), but we''d still need another option at ACM. I also agree that we need another quality CB (which would probably mean Ayala going out on loan again).

I understand that Volland can play as a striker/secondary striker, is left footed and is very highly rated in Germany. Having thought about this a bit more I suspect he will be pricey given that he is highly rated and on a long term contract (2017). That said if wer are looking at players such as Quag, he may be a better long term prospect, but given that German football is on the rise you have to wonder if a move to the EPL will mean all that........

According to Transfermarkt, Volland is valued at around £8m, so would be a bit of a gamble. Mounir El Hamdaoui, at 28, could fill the second striker/wide right option for around £2m. According to this source, City have made an offer for him after giving up on Toivonen:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elfvoetbal.nl%2Fnieuws%2F286547_toivonen-verspeelt-norwich-kans-aan-el-hamdaoui

YS72, Interesting to see us linked with this player. I have never heard of him myself or seen him come to it... So just looked him up on Wiki to see what type of player and his record. Seems like he has scored goals at every level he has played at, being very prolific at certain points in the career. Big name managers have been both been in favour and against his inclusion to the starting eleven by the looks of things. At 2million, I would see it as a calculated gamble myself.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]YS72, Interesting to see us linked with this player. I have never heard of him myself or seen him come to it... So just looked him up on Wiki to see what type of player and his record. Seems like he has scored goals at every level he has played at, being very prolific at certain points in the career. Big name managers have been both been in favour and against his inclusion to the starting eleven by the looks of things. At 2million, I would see it as a calculated gamble myself.[/quote]

His record last season was not impressive. Only three starts. and substituted in two of those. Sixteeen times coming on as a sub. It might explain why Fiorentina would be willing to sell, despite having lost Jovetic. Or the story might be a load of tosh.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]It may well be tosh, Purple, but I could see CH getting fed up with waiting for Toivonen to decide.[/quote]
I think we are all getting fed up with that. Season kicks off in a week and a bit, don''t want to unsettle the squad with two or three new faces on 31st August.... Toivonen would be great in this league but he is stringing us along.