Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Pub argument

I wonder if people could help me win a pub arguement.

Sadly one of my friends supports the scum. We usually give him a fair amount of stick about how crap they are, that they play in the lower leagues etc

His usual defence is to start harping on about winning the UEFA cup in 1981 (before he was even bloody born) but last night his claim was that Ipswich have historically had a better youth system than us and produced better players.

I think thats rubbish, anyway I have until this evening to come up with a Norwich City youth starting 11 and he is doing likewise for the scum.

Any ideas for who to include would be greatly appreciated. Only rule we set is that it can''t be before the 80s.

So far in my hungover state I have come up with:

GK Rob Green

LB

CB Dion Dublin

CB

RB Danny Mills

LW Darren Eadie

CM

CM

RW

ST Chris Sutton

ST Craig Bellamy

CM - Jeremy Goss
He was actually really average but worth sticking in because the rest of the country remembers his world class goals. 

If you struggle for centre midfielders (I can only think of Andy Johnson), then what''s stopping you playing 4-3-3 and putting Justin Fashanu up front?

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]I wonder if people could help me win a pub arguement.

Sadly one of my friends supports the scum. We usually give him a fair amount of stick about how crap they are, that they play in the lower leagues etc

His usual defence is to start harping on about winning the UEFA cup in 1981 (before he was even bloody born) but last night his claim was that Ipswich have historically had a better youth system than us and produced better players.

I think thats rubbish, anyway I have until this evening to come up with a Norwich City youth starting 11 and he is doing likewise for the scum.

Any ideas for who to include would be greatly appreciated. Only rule we set is that it can''t be before the 80s.

GK Rob Green

LB

CB Dion Dublin

CB

RB Danny Mills

LW Darren Eadie

CM

CM

RW

ST Chris Sutton

ST Craig Bellamy[/quote]

I suspect he is - generally - right about that, although that is going back further than the 1980s. Be interesting to see his team. You could add O''Neill and Shackell to our squad..

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]I wonder if people could help me win a pub arguement.

GK Rob Green

LB

CB Dion Dublin

CB

RB Danny Mills

LW Darren Eadie

CM

CM

RW

ST Chris Sutton

ST Craig Bellamy[/quote]

I suspect he is - generally - right about that, although that is going back further than the 1980s. Be interesting to see his team. You could add O''Neill and Shackell to our squad..

[/quote]
But that doesn''t mean he should concede defeat to a binner, never! 
Neither of these people will be able to concede defeat no matter what the team, even if Lionel Messi had come through one of the clubs. 

He''s got you there as they had rather a golden era under Bobby Robson:

Terry Butcher, George Burley, John Wark, Mick Mills, Colin Viljoen, Alan Brazil, Trevor Whymark, Brian Talbot, Kevin Beattie, and Eric Gates (from Wiki) were all internationals.

Since then there''s not much in it, although I think we might have the edge.

With our current youngsters we would certainly have the edge, but might not emulate that era for them. 

Peter Mendham was an excellent centre midfielder. Your mate won''t of heard of him, but he was part of the League Cup winning team in 1985. 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Terry Butcher, George Burley, John Wark, Mick Mills, Colin Viljoen, Alan Brazil, Trevor Whymark, Brian Talbot, Kevin Beattie, and Eric Gates (from Wiki) were all internationals.

With our current youngsters we would certainly have the edge, but might not emulate that era for them. 

[/quote]
If he wants to be awkward he could argue that Viljoen was a product of Johannesburg Rangers. that Mick Mills came from Portsmouth, Trevor Whymark from Diss, Alan Brazil Celtic Boys club, as they were all 16, 17, or 18 when signed.
But if he wanted to play that game he''d probably have to omit Bellamy from his own XI. 

[quote user="The New Boy"]Peter Mendham was an excellent centre midfielder. Your mate won''t of heard of him, but he was part of the League Cup winning team in 1985. [/quote]

I hadn''t added him because he started playing before the 1980s, which seemed to be the rule, but if he is allowed then so is Justin Fashanu.

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]
If he wants to be awkward he could argue that Viljoen was a product of Johannesburg Rangers. that Mick Mills came from Portsmouth, Trevor Whymark from Diss, Alan Brazil Celtic Boys club, as they were all 16, 17, or 18 when signed.
But if he wanted to play that game he''d probably have to omit Bellamy from his own XI. 
[/quote]
(Because Bellamy moved down to Norfolk at 16). Although I believe Bellamy was on our books before that, so perhaps not.
Thought of another, Darren Kenton at CB. Scraping the barrel a bit now.

When you think about how any millions it will have cost for our youth setup over the last 30 odd years its shamefull how few good players come through it.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Hmm are we proud to mention Peter Mendham though?[/quote]
Well his Ipswich mate is probably going to suggest Kevin Beattie who is a benefit fraudster, so why not?
Mendham has always been a very well liked and popular man who has done a hell of a lot for Norfolk, what happened doesn''t make him a bad person it probably means that he has or had mental illness.
I''m not trivialising what happened, their was a victim(s) afterall, but I don''t think we should disown somebody for what probably amounts to mental illness. 

Team so far......

GK Rob Green

LB Daryl Sutch

CB Chris Sutton

CB Jason Shackell

RB Danny Mills

LM Darren Eadie

CM Jeremy Goss

Rm Ruel Fox

ST John Fashanu

ST Craig Bellamy

ST Justin Fashanu

The one I am least happy with is Jason Shackell at CB, there must be someone better than that?

Dion Dublin at CB, sorted!!

GK Rob Green

LB Daryl Sutch

CB Chris Sutton

CB Dion Dublin

RB Danny Mills

LM Darren Eadie

CM Jeremy Goss

Rm Ruel Fox

ST John Fashanu

ST Craig Bellamy

ST Justin Fashanu

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Team so far...... GK Rob Green LB Daryl Sutch CB Chris Sutton CB Jason Shackell RB Danny Mills LM Darren Eadie CM Jeremy Goss Rm Ruel Fox ST John Fashanu ST Craig Bellamy ST Justin Fashanu The one I am least happy with is Jason Shackell at CB, there must be someone better than that?[/quote]

Well, stick in Monty Norman then, and Barry Bridges in the striker role qualifies more than Craig Bellamy.

Yankee, both Monty Norman and Barry bridges were great, but don''t qualify - the OP said "can''t be before the 80s".

[quote user="Foghorn"]Yankee, both Monty Norman and Barry bridges were great, but don''t qualify - the OP said "can''t be before the 80s".[/quote]

Thanks Foghorn. I knew that, of course, but seeing as others changed the rules by listing others that did not come through the Norwich youth system I took the liberty of also bending the rules.